Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mb
In the both detailed sequences of play (3.3 and last page of rulebook), stated in Phase 6a: Up to two UNITS may use naval transport.

However, stated in 8.2.2: The Filipino player may move up to two combat STEPS per turn....

My question is STEPS or UNITS? If units, then 4 steps could be moved instead of just 2 which makes quite a difference, but this seems more fair to me, as US can move up to 6 steps, and doesn't have to risk interdiction loss.

Secondly, Filipino artillery have no integral strength or step and don't count against stacking limitations. Whether or not the answer to my first question is STEPS or UNITS, can artillery be moved using Filipino naval transport?

If the answer is units, then I would assume I could, for example, move a Filipino infantry counter from one coastal area to another, and then move an artillery unit likewise.

If the answer is steps, then I would assume I could move either two 1-step units or one 2-step unit and as many artillery units as I want, since they have no inherent step value.

My gut feeling is that the correct answer is UNITS.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I assumed the terms 'steps' and 'units' were used interchangeably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier revenu
France
urt
Pyrennees atlantiques
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yes, steps and units are the same. I tried to use "steps" everywhere but it seems that some "units" still survive...

It is 2 steps per naval movement. And you can add artillery (non-step unit...) and leaders for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks!

I got confused by that. All makes sense now. I've finished reading the rules and everything else is very clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Have to put my two cents in here. It was not my intention to allow the transfer of Filipino artillery by water. I never found evidence of it. Filipino Naval capability at the time was nothing to speak of and transport of heavy artillery under the noses of overwhelming US gunboat patrols not likely. If someone finds knowledge to the contrary I bow to historical precedence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for putting in your 2 cents John. Great game and I'm having a lot of fun with it. My filipino relatives are also excited that it has gotten me interested in this period of history.

Since Filipino artillery just adds a +1 to the die roll of a step (and I think there's only two of them), in my games, I think I'll consider it an abstracted form of "hero", and allow them to go ahead and get into the boats!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.