Subject: Replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blayne Miley
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played Eldritch Horror for the first couple times, and really enjoyed it, but replayability doesn't seem great without expansions.

How does MoM compare on the replayability front?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing. Like it's endless, and there is a promise of something new everytime you play it. Guaranteed or your money back... Or wait till someone plays it to let you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the original had very little replayability. It's missions where like a detective novel & once you figured it out once, that's it. Also, sense someone had to be a game master of sorts, that player had to either already have played the story or was ok with spoilers, bc they had to set it all up.

With 2nd ed, it seems like the app will be taking on this role. It would will also be a relatively cheap endeavor for FFG to release downloadable content to add more missions. I would imagine that this version would have a lot more replayability than the original. But I don't expect it to be anywhere close to infinite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man there are lots of people asking questions that no one could possibly know the answer to until the game is released or more previews start showing up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MuckBubbler wrote:
I recently played Eldritch Horror for the first couple times, and really enjoyed it, but replayability doesn't seem great without expansions.

How does MoM compare on the replayability front?

This is what we know for certain:

FFG's Announcement wrote:

While the haunting spirit of the classic favorite remains the same, Mansions of Madness Second Edition’s innovative app takes a new and unique approach the sinister Arkham universe. In removing the need for a Keeper player, the app enables you to play a fully cooperative game, and shrouds each scenario’s randomized secrets in complete and utter darkness. Throughout every game, the app generates an entirely unique map, full of differing items to utilize, monsters to confront, and events to endure. Instead of the map being fully visible from the start of the game, however, the app obscures the majority of the board in shadows until you endeavor to explore further.

FFG's Announcement wrote:
...no two games will ever be the same. Should you choose, for instance, to investigate the puzzling happenings at the Vanderbilt mansion in Cycle of Eternity, you will find yourself entering the same foyer and seeking the same ultimate truth every time. But through each door beyond lies the unknown, as the map and the monsters hiding in its shadows change with every play.

So.. I think it's perfectly reasonable to conclude this game offers more official variety out of the box than anything else in FFG's history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
bigGameGeek wrote:
Man there are lots of people asking questions that no one could possibly know the answer to until the game is released or more previews start showing up

There's so much I like about this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burning Monkey wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

My favorite part is when somebody posted immediately after him silently refuting his claim.

Do we have direct experience? No, but we have experience with FFG, possibly Eldritch (many of us do), and an exceptional ability to draw logical inferences from the information at hand (it is, after all, humanity's more redeeming intellectual traits). Personally, I found his commentary rude, counter productive and gallingly wrong.

Can we say which title is more fun? No, not at all -- for that we'd all need hands on experience. But judging the variability within a system is something entirely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Anarchosyn wrote:
Burning Monkey wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

My favorite part is when somebody posted immediately after him silently refuting his claim.

Do we have direct experience? No, but we have experience with FFG, possibly Eldritch (many of us do), and an exceptional ability to draw logical inferences from the information at hand (it is, after all, humanity's more redeeming intellectual traits). Personally, I found his commentary rude, counter productive and gallingly wrong.

Can we say which title is more fun? No, not at all -- for that we'd all need hands on experience. But judging the variability within a system is something entirely different.

Gallingly? People get offended so quickly on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are randomized maps and the location of elements and monsters change in the version I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
JK777 wrote:
There are randomized maps and the location of elements and monsters change in the version I played.

Wait, you played the game already? Care to elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exilfranke wrote:
JK777 wrote:

Alpha tester
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
JK777 wrote:
Exilfranke wrote:
JK777 wrote:

Alpha tester

Mind answering a question? How random is the choice of rooms? Are they in a certain logical and inteligent order depending on theme or are there strange choices like cellar following attic and attic following garden-tile?

How's your opinion on the game anyway?

Thx a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Exilfranke wrote:
JK777 wrote:
Exilfranke wrote:
JK777 wrote:

Alpha tester

Mind answering a question? How random is the choice of rooms? Are they in a certain logical and inteligent order depending on theme or are there strange choices like cellar following attic and attic following garden-tile?

How's your opinion on the game anyway?

Thx a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bilodeau
United States
River Edge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Chris just killed our only lead. With a stone!

(Edited for clarity)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Did I hurt some kind of unkown BBG-Codex in asking those questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, just don't expect an answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
#MeToo
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
Exilfranke wrote:
JK777 wrote:

Alpha tester

And NDA violated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:

This is what I was getting at (the image was more supposed to represent "blood out of a stone" rather than "vicious death by rock").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
CletusVanDamme wrote:

This is what I was getting at (the image was more supposed to represent "blood out of a stone" rather than "vicious death by rock").

Yeah, although of course the latter is now a possibility if word of the leak gets out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
CletusVanDamme wrote:

Yeah, although of course the latter is now a possibility if word of the leak gets out

The reason we haven't had another reply from him yet is that he's probably already at the bottom of a river somewhere, weighted down by superfluous copies of Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
The reason we haven't had another reply from him yet is that he's probably already at the bottom of a river somewhere, weighted down by superfluous copies of Carcassonne.

If the grimy fingernails in that photo are any reflection on the culprit, forensics should have no trouble sorting this one out... as soon as we find our first clue. I'm moving to the River tile and performing a "Dredge" action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
Exilfranke wrote:
JK777 wrote:

Alpha tester

You lucky bastard!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
JK777 wrote:
Exilfranke wrote:
JK777 wrote:

Alpha tester

And NDA violated...

Perhaps by drawing attention to his tester status (I hadn't signed an FFG NDA in years, so I can't remember how they go). However, he didn't say anything that I didn't post above when I reprinted quotes from the announcement. We already knew the maps and elements (and monsters) were randomized within constraint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

So.. I think it's perfectly reasonable to conclude this game offers more official variety out of the box than anything else in FFG's history.

You're basing that statement on a hype blurb?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:

You're basing that statement on a hype blurb?

When they literally spend multiple paragraphs saying the same thing, yes. It is called deductive reasoning, and you're smarting embracing it than pretending correlative insights pass you by.

But, lets delve into this: variability has been a holy grail of design since the 90s. From a designer standpoint, it increases the staying power of a title, and from a consumer standpoint it increases value for money. FFG has been incorporating various approaches to this over the years.

Those approaches fall into a handful of categories: in sandbox titles (a loose term I'm using for games which aren't following a linear narrative, or story based scenario, ala Twilight Imperium or Runebound 1e and 2e), this has been accomplished through the the permutability of character defining elements. In Runebound, items act as variable player powers, and if you expanded the selection on offer via expansion content, you'd have a very low mathematical likelihood of acquiring the same collection of elements in any game. You'd find hidden synergies between items and your playstyle, ultimately lending variety to play.

MoM 2E takes capitalizes on FFG's experience in that approach and mixes it with a procedurally generated scenario system. On paper, quite objectively, this goes beyond anything they have done before. If you list out their games that depend on finitely numbered scenario books (MoM 1st edition, Descent, IA, etc) you'll find the promise of procedural remixing eclipses what was on offer in any prior core box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.