$30.00
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got hold of a copy of Dominion as a gift for a relative. Joy turned to disappointment on opening the box, as several of the larger ships were in bits and the smaller ones were wedged so tight into their placeholders in the insert plastic that one came apart trying to get it out.

I have read about the lacklustre responses from Wizkids here on the forums, so I am under no illusions that my chances of them fixing this will happen anytime soon, if at all.

I have to say that for a company that publishes games that are designed to be several steps above cluedo on the evolutionary gaming tree, it is stupifying to see a company produce products like this. Plastic ships that without adequate foam padding are just gaggjng to be broken, cards that are very thin and wedged into a plastic insert that is too small for them so that they are bowed. A plastic insert whose placeholders are too small for the models that are to be inserted in them.

First and foremost it is more than reasonable to assume that Wizkids knew they would find many, many gamers who would lap up a Star Trek series like this. Perhaps in their rush to sell they completely forgot the notion of customer consideration and deemed it perfectly OK to treat their customers to sub-standard performance as regards the physical quality of the product?

My conclusion? Shoddy, very shoddy all round. I shall never purchase anything from this company again, no matter what the theme or intellectual quality of the product.

When I compare this shoddy mess before me with the quality components that characterise games' published by Fantasy Flight Games, Privateer Press and others, I cannot help but wonder just how exactly does this company view its paying customers?

P.S. I take it regular super-glue will fix these broken ships?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
dougposkitt wrote:

I had some success with super glue when the parts that needed to be glued had notches that fit together.
I just had a ship break not at a notch point. Neither super glue, contact cement, or glue gun have worked so far. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor JD wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:

I had some success with super glue when the parts that needed to be glued had notches that fit together.
I just had a ship break not at a notch point. Neither super glue, contact cement, or glue gun have worked so far. Good luck!

Oh yea! (Sarcastic and downhearted tone in equal measure)

I am going to attempt to super glue them together later today. One of the broken models is where the stem has broken, with the insert hole in the actual Dominion ship still containing the other part of the stem.

This company have sold the Star Trek Fleet Captains line of products in a very careless manner. Other game companies market products containing plastic components at a similar price range and their packing and general overall quality far exceed what I have before me here.

Just how much extra would it have cost for them to have included a foam pad to help prevent damage and breakage to these plastic ships? It also surely would not have been too much more to have produced the card decks with a little more sturdy thickness? At least they could have designed the internal packaging to have laid the cards flat?

It really is very upsetting to part with one's money and get a below-par physical product that arrives with broken components. In my opinion, it sure looks like corners were cut to save money. After all, none of the three games in the series are cheap (at least not in the UK); surely it is not too much to expect that, for the price, the components would not arrive damaged/broken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own MK, LL expansion, and Star Trek: Fleet Captains. Between their production issues (and yes, I'm aware of the problems with Shades of Tezla, which was one reason I avoided that) and the difficulty of getting replacements/fixes, I made the same promise to myself--I won't buy any more of their products.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
I own MK, LL expansion, and Star Trek: Fleet Captains. Between their production issues (and yes, I'm aware of the problems with Shades of Tezla, which was one reason I avoided that) and the difficulty of getting replacements/fixes, I made the same promise to myself--I won't buy any more of their products.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

The more negative posts I read as regards their component quality and customer service it becomes apparent that this is not a view held by just you and I.

I wonder how many disappointed STFC customers there are, let alone those who may have been disappointed after purchasing some of their other products.

The basic element is that the customer hands over his/her money and the company hands them a product ... A product that is fit for purpose. It is a pretty simple premise.

Other companies manage it, why not this company? Whether they like, or acknowledge, it or not, having taken the money they then have a responsibility to the customer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
With plastic minis, I've found the old style model glue works better than superglue products. Stuff like Testor's (don't know if that's available in the UK, but I'm sure an local hobby shop has a similar product.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SewerStarFish wrote:
With plastic minis, I've found the old style model glue works better than superglue products. Stuff like Testor's (don't know if that's available in the UK, but I'm sure an local hobby shop has a similar product.)

Airfix type glue seems to have done the job except for the ship with the broken stem. On this one, I have had to use super glue, but it looks very much like it may not bond properly.

It is very disappointing to experience this. The fact that it was a gift makes it all the more so. I have taken the opportunity to carefully examine the other games in the series and while the Federation, Klingon and Romulan ships did arrive to their owner in one piece, the cards and board tiles are very thin. I would guess they will not last long with repeated play.

Intetestingly, the base box with the Federation and Klingon ships does have a foam pad to protect the plastic ships. So why on earth could this company not take the same safeguard measures with the two expansion boxes?

As our cousins across the pond say ... "Go figure".

Hmmm ... I wonder if this company has a Facebook page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Fleet Captains and both expansions. The only broken pieces I had were in the base game. I had a Romulan Warbird with a broken wing, a Federation ship with a broken base, and a 3rd ship with something broken I cannot recall. I emailed Wizkids and had replacements in under 1 month with zero out of pocket cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
I own Fleet Captains and both expansions. The only broken pieces I had were in the base game. I had a Romulan Warbird with a broken wing, a Federation ship with a broken base, and a 3rd ship with something broken I cannot recall. I emailed Wizkids and had replacements in under 1 month with zero out of pocket cost.

Have you ordered more than the 5 (or is it 7) items they restrict you to per order?

I had all the Cloak tokens misaligned. Try submitting a request for each of those using their return system. I luckily had a friend do it, since he placed the original order for the games.

shake

Also, those cards are ridiculously thin. Not worth replacing, but certainly poor production quality. And the Mage Knight cards aren't as good as most publisher's cards either, although they're better than the Star Trek ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.