Subject: 5 Player After Action Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played twice now, this is our second 5 player game. First MEGAMAP game, and boy even setting up this game its just a thing of beauty.

We randomly selected our races and player boards and sat down to have at it!

Saxony ended up with a more 'passive' board than our last game and struggled throughout the game to utilize his combat advantage.
Polania set out with a pacificist strategy enlisting first to get the most out of the recruitment bonuses and driving up his popularity the entire game. Focusing mainly on economy and encounters, he fields just a single mech.

Nordic spreads workers out seems to be playing a mostly passive game but makes a b-line, (through the newly constructed mine), for the factory after a single encounter with his hero. This proves anti-climatic.
Rusviet is new to the game, struggles the first few turns to get his economy just so and ends up with a fairly balanced force, a few encounters, a couple of mechs and a good economy.

Crimea sky rockets quickly through upgrades, combats, bolsters for tons of power and is the first person to see five stars in the game. However, he stumbles at this point realizing this move has cost him significantly in cash and popularity, and doesn't exactly want to play the sixth star, knowing he doesn't have the winning cash totals he needs or the popularity to get the best bonuses to make up for it.

The game continues, the Factory cards do not help the Nordic player like he had hoped a strange mix of cards in the factory this time are lack-luster in comparison to the previous game. Accomplishing just a single objective card star, the Nordic player seems floundering on what do next and feels several turns behind the others. Having also received balanced economy board, direction and purpose seemed lost to him.

The game clocked in at 2.5 hours when Rusviet placed the sixth star and pulled out a win by 16 coins. Saxony came in second, with Polania rounding out third, Crimea fourth and the poor lost Nordics dead last.

Few lessons learned, play to the strength of your economy board as much as possible more so than your 'race' power or objective cards. Most players in this game either didn't make it to the factory or rarely used the card they did get, so it is a bit of a gamble.

Another thoroughly enjoyable experience was had by all, everyone would play again, none of us feel we have the game 'dialed in' enough for a review perse but its definitely going into the main rotation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smaggler wrote:
The game continues, the Factory cards do not help the Nordic player like he had hoped a strange mix of cards in the factory this time are lack-luster in comparison to the previous game. Accomplishing just a single objective card star, the Nordic player seems floundering on what do next and feels several turns behind the others. Having also received balanced economy board, direction and purpose seemed lost to him.

My sympathies here, almost the same thing happened to me in my last game (also 5p). Nordic with the mechanical board, I never really felt like I had a particularly clear goal.

I picked a factory card that seemed good, but only ended up using it once. Granted, if I had one more turn to use it a second time it would have increased my score by 30-odd points... but that would have propelled me from last to perhaps second. And the guy who won could have increased his score by about 15 with that extra turn, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
I do not like the mechanical board. Not having a 3 coin play really hurts, I found myself out of money multiple times when using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's "the mechanical board"?

Per

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfischer wrote:
What's "the mechanical board"?
The player board where 3 of the 4 actions have a 2-coin reward, rather than 1 with a 3-coin reward, 1 with a 2-coin reward, and 1 with a 1-coin reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board # 4 is the Mechanical Board. (See the small box on the right center of each player board.) The Mechanical Player Board, IMO is the worst (of all five player boards) at Upgrade. It is average at Enlisting; really good for Deploying Mechs; and above average for "Building."
Of the five player boards, I rate the Mechanical Player Board the overall worst. However, that depends on what your faction wants to do (see Faction Board Special Action). If your goal requires deploying Mechs and building buildings, the Mechanical Board works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see - where did the term come from, is there a thread somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per, it is right on the player mat itself. Each mat has a different term: 'Engineering', 'Agricultural', etc. It is located right above the number of Objective cards, Popularity, and coins with which you will begin the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omg - totally, completely missed that! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanical mat is probably one of my least favorites, but I did eek out a win with it and Crimea on Friday with 90 points in a five player game.

The strength is that there is not a one coin option, so you have the opportunity to be a bit more flexible. The lack of coins for upgrades hurts, but the two oil cost allows you to reduce the cost on the other options fairly quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.