The Awful Green Things From Outer Space» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can eggs attack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't see this in the rules, maybe because it should be obvious one way or the other...

Can an egg join in an attack? I know it has zero attack dice, but can it add those dice to a combined attack, and then grow into a baby if the attack succeeds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robinjohnson wrote:
I know it has zero attack dice, but can it add those dice to a combined attack, and then grow into a baby if the attack succeeds?

I like how you're thinking.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I congratulate you, that is some excellent rules-lawyering. Very creative!

And you know, checking the rules it doesn't say you can't do that.

On the other hand, I've been playing for thirty odd years and I've never met anyone who played that way. Also, it's ridiculous. Also, the movement rules specify that a crewman has to stop when entering an area containiung AGTs, except for Eggs and stunned AGTs. That equates stunned aliens with eggs in that they are not opposing movement, at least, and one might extrapolate from that the eggs are inert, and not interfering with anyone.

We need to use comic book logic, of course, but still, monsters grow after combat because they are eating the bodies, and eggs don't eat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff
msg tools
You know...it has been years since we played awful green things ...but we always played that the eggs could grow after a successful attack.

To us it just seemed obvious they could and looking back I don't think it distorted game play that much

But you got me wondering enough to consider digging out the rules and see what they say...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I wasn't trying to rules-lawer, honest - of course it seems intuitive that an egg can't attack, but games are full of unintuitive things, and I'd have thought the same about fragments but they do have an attack die.

I think I will go with Andrew's interpretation - I played the game for the first time today and things seem hard enough for the non-Green-Things player as it is.

andreww wrote:
We need to use comic book logic, of course, but still, monsters grow after combat because they are eating the bodies, and eggs don't eat.

Mm. We didn't think of that, although we did think that eating shouldn't make an adult Thing lay an egg - but checked the rules and it explicitly says that it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Brown
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
3. ATTACK – Once all movement is completed, the Green
Things may attack any or all crew who are in the same areas as
monsters. Attacks are resolved, one area at a time, at the choice
of the attacking player. Each monster may use its attack dice
once per turn (stunned monsters may not attack). Any number of
monsters in a given area may attack the same crewman; all their
attack dice are rolled for one total. In any attack, if the amount
rolled equals or exceeds the constitution of the crewman attacked,
the crewman is dead (removed from play). If an attack fails to kill
its target, there is no effect.
If a crewman is killed, one of the monsters which attacked that
crewman devours it and immediately grows one level. If more
than one monster was involved in the attack, the Monster Player
chooses which monster to grow.

Looks like it depends on whether one considers the eggs as being involved in the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krambis12, quoting the AGTFOS rulebook wrote:
Each monster may use its attack dice once per turn (stunned monsters may not attack). Any number of monsters in a given area may attack the same crewman; all their attack dice are rolled for one total.

Emphasis mine. You could read from that that a monster with 0 attack dice has no attack dice to use and therefore can't contribute to an attack. (Now I feel like I'm rules-lawyering.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff
msg tools
robinjohnson wrote:
krambis12, quoting the AGTFOS rulebook wrote:
Each monster may use its attack dice once per turn (stunned monsters may not attack). Any number of monsters in a given area may attack the same crewman; all their attack dice are rolled for one total.

Emphasis mine. You could read from that that a monster with 0 attack dice has no attack dice to use and therefore can't contribute to an attack. (Now I feel like I'm rules-lawyering.)

And who would have thought such a simple game needed a lawyer

P.s. I have no problem with your conclusion. More likely we played it wrong back in those days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The egg has no attack dice, thus it cannot participate in an attack. Its just there for when you have the opportunity to grow them into something that can attack.

Under attacking
Quote:
Each monster may use its attack dice once per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an academic, I'm reminded of the philosophical argument surrounding the difference between "none" ("does not exist") and "zero" ("exists, with a value exactly 0")

In fact, I'm often reminded of this argument when I read rules that aren't clear on expressing the designer's philosophy At that point, I'm in the camp that falls back on "a reasonable local consensus interpretation" rather than "the words as written", because words (especially English words) are tricky things, and I play games with people cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can remember reading somewhere that the original AGT brought aboard the Zuntar was an egg, which the crew thought it was an unusual rock and that is how everything began. Now, if the egg/rock seemed dangerous it is unlikely that the crew would have brought the egg/Rock on board in the first place, let alone allow it to hatch, grow and breed.

I think I've put too much thought into this already...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
dlow wrote:
At that point, I'm in the camp that falls back on "a reasonable local consensus interpretation" rather than "the words as written"

Francis Tresdham (inventor of 1829 and thus the whole 18xx genre) said to me once that we (players) should use his rules as a framework and to modify them as we wish.

I would suggest that this is a good maxim for every game, and there is nothing wrong with adding you own house rule. I find that a simple change to rules as written (sometimes deliberately ) can make a huge change to gameplay.

Try both ways. Experiment. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that the egg doesnt have any attack dice. The rules say roll the monsters attack dice to attack and that only a monster that attacked can be chosen to grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Straight from the mouth of Leadfoot:

No attack dice. No growth possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.