Subject: Asylum Perfect Run - MAJOR UNLOCKED SPOILERS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shay Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Since the entire point of this thread is to talk to people who have completed the Asylum module in its entirety, I don't want to have to create/click through a ton of spoiler tags to discuss it. So you have been warned, this is talking only to people who have completed the game and want to discuss the final solution and the lowest TU expenditure to get there. I tried to find other threads breaking it down to this kind of detail but my search fu is no good, or else it doesn't exist. Without further ado...

...here we go!

We successfully finished our final run last night, 3rd run, with the Emergency Protocol, so 30 TU's to spend, but really unlimited TU's to spend... We came out scoring 6 points total, and the cube to boot. Today I am spinning on what would be the "perfect run" now that I know the clue to unlock the door and don't actually need any of the pentagrams/puzzle pieces to get through the game. The only TU cost would be moving from one location to another to get item(s) we need...which if I am remembering correctly would simply be the Kiosk key off the doctor's body?

I am making the assumption that you win all battles in one round since all your agents will be there to work together (of course you COULD ostensibly roll VERY badly and eat up a bunch of time units but that's impossible to predict for this thought exercise), so again, I'm assuming the only TU costs would be literally rolling the big die to travel between locations. Here's my rundown:

* Land in the Day Room, do nothing/leave immediately to...
* GO to the Dr's Office. (1-3TU's), land on Card C: Dr Hyacinthe, agree to follow the doctor into the tunnel, then...
* GO to the Park (1-3 TU's), land on Card D: Deeper Into Park, receive map piece to the Greenhouse
* GO to the Greenhouse (1-3 TU's), land on Card C: Dead Body, take Kiosk key
* GO back to Park (1-3 TU's), land on Card C: The Kiosk, use key, fight creature (1 TU) to get map piece for Under the Kiosk
* GO Under the Kiosk (1-3 TU's) Land on Card C: Locked Gate, solve gate lock/Read Item 19
* GO into the Crypt (1-3TU's), land on Card C: Naked Girl, refuse to take hands with naked crazy chick, fight the man in the hood (1 TU), then fight the girl (1 TU), win the day.

Min/Max TU's: 11/19
Again,assuming you win the three battles in one go.

Is this right? Am I forgetting anything?

(Edited: Typo missing movement cost back to park. Forgot to include TU costs for battle tasks.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
What about picking up the journals?, you aren't allowed past the gate lock without them. So even though you know the code you still have to pick them up on the run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TribalDancer wrote:

* Land in the Day Room, do nothing/leave immediately to...
* GO to the [b]Dr's Office[/b

Are you talking about a perfect run from the beginning or a perfect third run?

If from the beginning, when you first get to the Day Room, you don't know where the Doctor's Office is located.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is going through the catacombs faster?
you don't need to change location thus often, but you need those four encounters (and only those four)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually run the numbers on this myself, and your route is pretty close to mine. One mistake that you made was you didn't count the TU expenditure for returning to the Park the second time, as it needs to be spent every time you travel from location to location. Plus, you need to remember that you must spend additional TU to travel from a Red location. Thus, the perfect route runs from 10 to 22 TU (assuming you complete the two required fights in 1 TU), and collects 3 of the 5 pentagrams, with a 4th one available without any additional TU expenditure (IIRC).

Doing this on the first run requires you to unlock the Doctors Office first, which takes another 1-3 TU (11-25), and collecting the final Pentagram and the two jewels add another stop and even more time (2-4 TU, making the total 13-29).

Going through the Catacombs can work, reducing the required TU expenditure by quite a lot, but you lose out on 3 of the Pentagrams (Doctor's Office and the two in the Greenhouse), meaning it's only viable if you've already beaten the game. The alternate route to the park (through the promenade) also loses too much time, and bypasses the doctor's Pentagram to boot.

What really makes it so frustrating is I can see two simple changes that would have made this much more workable - 1) move the doctor's pentagram from there to the Day Room, where it can be collected for free, and 2) add more TU so that the Catacombs and the Promenade to Park routes were viable. Then, you could play through the game 3 ways to get a slightly different take on it each time (plus two straight up red-herrings in the Plunger Dance and the path to the village, giving us 5 plays to see everything). But, that is quite a different discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So to calc ops way
You roll 6 times (you need to roll also when going back to the park)
Then you have 3 fights, assuming winning each immediately add 3 TU
Then additional 2 for leaving Red location, that's 6 Rolls and 5 TU for ~17TU
Through the catacombs you only need to change location 3 times. Then you have the same 2 fights at the end, but 4 tests more in the catacombs, plus 3 TU for moving. So that's 3 rolls plus 9. So approximately 15TU, so a bit faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shay Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry for the confusion. Obviously, I am talking about a final run, not a first run. On a first run I would have to know exactly where everything was, which is impossible. So I am talking about a later run, where you already know the solution to the gate puzzle, and have the map pieces. Otherwise I would have had to look at the painting in the Day Room to get the puzzle "key", talk to Josephine in the Dormitory to learn the Dr's Office Location, would have wanted to stop to look at the image on the Dr's wall to get another part of the pentagram "key", would have had to get the three other pentagram drawings from the Greenhouse fountain, the catacombs, and ....damn...and...? I forget! In any case, if I had to go to the catacombs, that is yet another location and THREE battles, so that would have been anywhere from 4-6 additional time units. Yeah...no...just talking about a final run with the needed info in hand.

And thank you Jared! I rearranged the order of my run before I posted. Before I had 6-18 TU's, when I was done I had 5-15 TU's and couldn't figure out where I had lost them and didn't have time to edit before going to work. Of course you're right, I didn't take into account the three TU's spent to do the battle tasks...

...which if I'm being honest kinda frustrates me a *little bit* about this system. If I land on a card with a lock and I HAVE to fight to get off of it, I think the first TU should be free. I understand if I don't succeed and I need to take more time it should cost units. And I understand if I choose not to fight and instead to leave to travel to a new location it costs me time to get away. But if I am ambushed and don't have a choice, at least let me get a punch in before I am penalized any time! Ha!

Anyway, noted, that would be 3 more TU's minimum for the battle. Will edit the original post to reflect it.

I don't know what you mean about "leaving red location". I just went to look at the rules again and I don't see anything about that. I looked at the three cards where we do battle (the only thing I could imagine you meant by "red", ie the red lock icon) and nothing there either. What did you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TribalDancer wrote:
I don't know what you mean about "leaving red location". I just went to look at the rules again and I don't see anything about that. I looked at the three cards where we do battle (the only thing I could imagine you meant by "red", ie the red lock icon) and nothing there either. What did you mean?

Page 10 of the v1.1 Rulebook (in the files section) wrote:

Special situation: Depending on the scenario, it’s possible that the names of some locations are written in red. To go from a location with a red name to another location (no matter what its color) costs 2 extra TU. Note that leaving a red location, and not entering it, is what costs 2 extra TU.

As I remember, it's not really too big of a deal with Asylum, as there's only a couple of Red locations in Asylum, and I believe you only need to visit one of them in a given run, but it's still something that can mess up your numbers if you forget to account for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
What about picking up the journals?, you aren't allowed past the gate lock without them. So even though you know the code you still have to pick them up on the run.

What jorunals? Do you mean the pentagrams? Once you have solved the puzzle to open the lock, you no longer need them as you already know the solution (Read Item 19)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.