Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the concept of card based wargames such as Twilight Struggle where you have to choose between using cards for op points and for events. Unfortunately, TS is very hard for new players, because knowing the cards in the deck gives one a huge advantage. Any examples of games in this genre that where not knowing the deck is not as big a handicap?

I would prefer games that play in under 3 hours, preferably more like 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a 'wargame' that is a card game?
warfighter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Verssen Games (DVG) has a whole range of card based war games varying in complexity. Lightning: Poland takes about 30 minutes to play and is easy and quick to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
What about a 'wargame' that is a card game?
warfighter

SOrry, I'm not looking for "creative" solutions. I'm looking for games that use the Twilight Struggle multi-use card system.

Sorry, this came off snarkier then I would have wished.

I don't have a regular opponent, which is why Twilight Struggle just didn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestions, but I am afraid some of them might suffer because of length and rules explanation. Long games with large rule sets are hard to consistently teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
wouldn't it be weird if coincidences never happened?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wir sind das Volk! maybe?
or the upcoming Sola Fide: The Reformation by the team behind 1960 making the president.
do you have a regular opponent with whom you learn the game or are you up against experienced people?
if the latter there's nothing to it but learn from your losses I guess.
otherise you both can learn a game by playing and discussing it.
or other true CDG's like wilderness war? it all depends on what interests you as well as what games are "good"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hayden
United States
Amelia
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Twilight Struggle. The wargames that strike the same chord for me are Washington's War, Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975, and Sword of Rome. The card play in these feels very similar to TS to me, and they are all excellent.

I think the COIN games may also be worth a shot, though they play differently from the above games. There is no hand management factor, but the cards still play out with a choice between operations and events, only your opponents decisions are going to really affect what you can do. The only two I have played are Andean Abyss, and Fire in the Lake, but I enjoy them both.

Lastly for a tactical game with multi-use cards I really like Combat Commander: Europe. The cards are everything from orders, to events, as well as random hex, and dice rolls. Though you can really only choose order and event usage. While I love this game, people tend to have strong opinions one way or the other, so I would definitely recommend trying before buying.

Good luck on your search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I'm not sure if this is too far from what you want, but Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan is similar in that you use cards either as loyalty cards (to activate troops during combat) or discarded to do extra movement actions (so it's kinda similar to OPs, but different cards are not worth different amounts of OP). I mention this game because there are no special "events" on each card so familiarity with the deck is not required, the game should play under 3 hours, and the game complexity is newbie-friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
For the People
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
or the upcoming Sola Fide: The Reformation by the team behind 1960 making the president.

Ah man, thanks for this. I didn't know this was a thing, and now I am super excited. I happen to really like Reformation history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:

My understanding is that this is a few hours past my 3 hour limit. IS that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
I really like the concept of card based wargames such as Twilight Struggle where you have to choose between using cards for op points and for events. Unfortunately, TS is very hard for new players, because knowing the cards in the deck gives one a huge advantage. Any examples of games in this genre that where not knowing the deck is not as big a handicap?

I would prefer games that play in under 3 hours, preferably more like 2.

Well, any good strategy game is going to give a hefty advantage to the experienced player. A few you might try:

13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis- TS lite. Same issue as TS but you can play a game in 30 minutes. New users can get up to speed quick.
Age of Napoleon- Plays fast and knowing the deck doesn't help you too much as you reshuffle alot.
Washington's War- Pretty easy game (if you use Major Sholto's player aide in the files section). Deck knowledge is not uber important.
Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975- another good game where knowledge of the deck isn't super crucial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.