Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually with this kind of game I'd keep all the trains separated into baggies so that setup is easier, but as is, you're supposed to keep all the trains in one bag so that you can randomize stocks at the beginning of the game. I feel like this causes a pretty long setup since you then have to separate out all of the colors. For such a short game it feels like a lot of effort. Anyone go about things differently or is the consensus just "deal with it"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
PhoenixPez wrote:
Usually with this kind of game I'd keep all the trains separated into baggies so that setup is easier, but as is, you're supposed to keep all the trains in one bag so that you can randomize stocks at the beginning of the game. I feel like this causes a pretty long setup since you then have to separate out all of the colors. For such a short game it feels like a lot of effort. Anyone go about things differently or is the consensus just "deal with it"?

I've played this game about 50 times. The key to fast sorting is to dump the remaining trains in the middle of the table and divide the big ol pile of mixed up trains into as many smaller piles as players. Then each player sorts their pile. We found this was about 3 times faster than have each player sort one color at a time. Setup only takes 2-3 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the consensus seems to be 'deal with it.'

I posted a thread on how an app could improve the setup of the game, but sadly, I have no skill in web/app design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we did last time, and every one at the table preferred it, was to individually bag everything so that you can quickly populate the companies. And then just take some trains from the companies to seed the random pull bag. We take as many trains as needed and nothing more.

Setup is way faster, and functionally this is the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Lilley
United States
St Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
I've put some thought into it and come up with a process I'm happy with. It cuts out a lot of the sorting and thus time, while giving pretty much the same result as the game's process.

I've detailed it here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23099322#23099322.

The short version is that I pre-load 6 opaque bags with 10 random trains, giving one bag to each player. If the players are supposed to have less than 10 (i.e. there are more than three players), they give back the proper number of trains (random, without looking). Only these trains need to be sorted into the depots since the rest of the train inventory is kept already sorted by color.

To seed the bags, at the end of the game I sort the trains by color (usually easier than sorting the draw bag in the regular rules), then use three dice to populate the draw bag with 3-18 of each color train. I only have to make sure that there are 60+ in the bag, so if the dice short me, I throw in one of each color until it crosses 60. Draw and seed the bags at random, sort whatever remainder there is back into the colors for storage.

It cuts the game setup time dramatically, at some expense of teardown time, but I find it works terrifically, and it saves on overall sorting time.

I included a link to the bags I use from Amazon in the posting I referenced above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardeep Sidhu
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a suggestion for speeding up setup. The goal of this approach is to keep the trains sorted at all times (store them sorted and immediately sort between games).

1. Use a list of all the train colours and copy/paste it to https://www.random.org/lists/ or a similar service/app (I actually use the Random.org iOS app). A list you can use for this can be found here.

2. Randomize the list.

3. Put the first 30 colours (32 for 4-players) from the random list into the bag.

4. Shake the bag and each player draws the amount listed in the rules.

All of this can be done while everyone is sorting/placing the trains on the boards so it doesn't add any extra time.

-Hardeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason to put all the trains onto the stock board neatly?

Can't I just pile them all together in a mess on the board according to colour?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
canadiankorean wrote:
Is there a reason to put all the trains onto the stock board neatly?

It is useful to know what colors have started the game behind players' screens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.