Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering buying a Dixit game and am wondering what are the differences between Dixit and Dixit: Odyssey?

If I am reading it correctly, they each have a set of 84 unique cards along with scoring track and voting differences. Thus, they appear to be two separate games and not a base game and 'deluxe' game.

Thus, were I to buy both games, I would not be wasting my money at least where the cards are concerned. Is my assessment correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base Odyssey supports 12 players, while the original Dixit just 6 players.

If you have the original, there´s also an Odyssey version without board (just cards).

If you don´t want the original card set, I would buy Base Odyssey and mix it up with other expansions, without the original (board for just six players). You never know when you´ll have many players and playing in couples or teams isn´t as good.

Well, that´s my opinion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit and Dixit Oddyssey are two separate base games, each one has a different set of cards, and as said above, the original Dixit comes with components for up to 6 players while Oddyssey comes with components and rules for up to 12.

Also, you can get the Oddyssey cards as an expansion for the original one. Each expansion is just a new deck with 84 extra cards to add to your base game, no matter which one you got in the first place.

So, if you are interested in having the 12P option, buy Oddyssey and any expansion(s) (Origins and Memories are my favorites).

If you just want up to 6 players and prefer having the original cards, buy the original Dixit and any expansion(s).

I wouldn't recommend getting the two base games unless you are a completionist, because it'll be a little more expensive and you'd have redundant components that you don't really need. You really don´t need to get every expansion and promo for this game, just any of the base games and a couple of expansions are enough to play for a good while with decent card variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get both.

First, Dixit is a game where you really want more than 84 cards so you don't go through the stack each time you play. Eventually, you'll want to get even more expansions, but the difference between one and two sets is huge.

Second, Dixit Odyssey has a much better scoring board. It also supports up to 12 players. However, I don't actually like it that much with more than 6.

Third, Dixit has tokens to choose the storyteller's card. They are much better than the solution that Dixit Odyssey uses. Also, Dixit has bigger bunnies for keeping track of the players' points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If money is a concern, Oddyssey gives you the most bang for your buck because of the 12-player support. But as mentioned above, you'll want more than one set, so I would recommend getting both the base game and Oddyssey (at least eventually).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
I would get both.

First, Dixit is a game where you really want more than 84 cards so you don't go through the stack each time you play. Eventually, you'll want to get even more expansions, but the difference between one and two sets is huge.

Second, Dixit Odyssey has a much better scoring board. It also supports up to 12 players. However, I don't actually like it that much with more than 6.

Third, Dixit has tokens to choose the storyteller's card. They are much better than the solution that Dixit Odyssey uses. Also, Dixit has bigger bunnies for keeping track of the players' points.

These exact sentiments.
Also the insert for Odyssey is the best one as it can hold at least 4 sets of cards in it (more if you take out the insert), whereas the base game is severely limited in space due to the (albeit very pretty) score-board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current edition of the basic Dixit now comes with the same insert as Oddyssey (with extra slots for up to 3 additional expansions) and a separate folding scoretrack. I bought it a couple of months ago.

The older inside-the-box scoretrack was nice, but it took most of the box and there was only enough space for the original 84 cards.

You can recognize the newer edition because it has a little badge on the cover that says "more than 1.5 million units sold" or something like that (I'm not home at the moment to check the exact number).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the advice - I have my purchasing plan in place now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.