Subject: Gift for someone into dungeons anda dragons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilbert V Tobal
Spain
Villaviciosa de Odon
Madrid
flag msg tools
Title says it all: looking for a game under 30€ that can appeal to someone into dungeons and dragons and videogames but has zero experience with boardgames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gvt2000 wrote:
Title says it all: looking for a game under 30€ that can appeal to someone into dungeons and dragons and videogames but has zero experience with boardgames

A cool dice set or a single unique die.

EDIT: I'm a DnD player myself and one thing that every DnD fan I know absolutely loves, is dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bachtold
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you think they'd enjoy learning a boardgame, how about Red Dragon Inn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find it on sale, Lords of Waterdeep is right around that price. It's a fantastic game that has a DnD (Forgotten Realms) theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice die/dice is also my recommendation.

HaNd_SoLo wrote:
If you can find it on sale, Lords of Waterdeep is right around that price. It's a fantastic game that has a DnD (Forgotten Realms) theme.

Seriously? Don't buy a friend Lords because it is set in forgotten realms, the game is a dry cube push (not to mention probably the single most dull worker placement on the face of the earth). A tie in theme will not save it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game as the newest incarnation of the D&D line of boardgames, which also I'm told has a level up system not really there in previous versions. One nice thing about all of those games is that there are simple AIs for the monsters, so no one is stuck being the DM.

HeroQuest if you could find a used copy of it.
Vast: The Crystal Caverns
The Dungeon of D
Delve: The Dice Game
Dungeon Construction Kit: Cursed!
There are more I can't recall the name of at the moment. It is a rich genre.

Also, there is a whole bunch of 'choose your own adventure' style books, some of which can be found online for free as e-copies. Some of them are quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with the previous posters, every DnD player has enough dice; heck, we have so many dice that we have favorites.
I'd suggest a cool dice bag.

Upgrade the old crown royale bag to a thematic leather one or even chainmail.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/d562/?itm=126485578605custo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game as the newest incarnation of the D&D line of boardgames, (...)

I really like the D&D boardgames, but someone who plays actual D&D and is not into boardgames may be underwhelmed. "Why not play D&D instead?", he may think. Lords of Waterdeep is a great recommendation, an excellent gateway Euro with a theme that will get him interested. Ignore the naysayers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game as the newest incarnation of the D&D line of boardgames, (...)

I really like the D&D boardgames, but someone who plays actual D&D and is not into boardgames may be underwhelmed. "Why not play D&D instead?", he may think. Lords of Waterdeep is a great recommendation, an excellent gateway Euro with a theme that will get him interested. Ignore the naysayers.
+1 to this. Waterdeep is one of the best worker placement games mechanically speaking available. If someone tries to naysay it simply because they need the theme of a game to jump out a smack them in the face with it in order to enjoy it, that is their problem, not the game's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about?
Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters: Battle for Faerûn
Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters: Faerûn Under Siege
Never played them but heard they were the better sets for dice masters and pretty economical for getting into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters: Battle for Faerûn might be a small, quick 2-player game that is worth looking at. The starter game and a few boosters or a set of commons would be under 30 Euro, but the game is collectible, so players could spend a lot more if they want to own everything.

In a different direction,Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers is a skirmish game that has a bunch of plastic figures (most are not painted) and landscapes the would work in a DnD setting, or be fun on its own. Currently it's going on sale at some stores in the US for as little as $10. The game is a reincarnation of an older out-of-print game (Heroscape) which has even more terrain and a DnD Version. These older games are not in stores anymore, but sometimes show up reasonably priced online or in charity stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't know about euros. Here's a few under $30 that might appeal to a D&D fan.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Lords of Waterdeep
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Small World
Magic: The Gathering
Tikal
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game
Summoner Wars: Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Waterdeep sucks. It's really dry for a role player. Great dice, great fiction, or great adventure modules. I think dice is the first choice. Something unique, metal dice or gorgeous polymer dice in a set with a bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a dice tower

Or, something like Above and Below, a boardgame with a strong storytelling element.

Or, part of the fun of DnD is levelling so something like Pandemic Legacy: Season 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:
I disagree with the previous posters, every DnD player has enough dice; heck, we have so many dice that we have favorites.
I'd suggest a cool dice bag.

Upgrade the old crown royale bag to a thematic leather one or even chainmail.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/d562/?itm=126485578605custo...

This is also an excellent idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.