Bruno Ducharme

Quebec
msg tools
Why is there an 'A' in the icon of Black Market and Secret Warehouse cards?

I mean, the unavailable-ressource-becomes-available-ressource and available-ressource-becomes-one-more-of-the-same icons would be self-explanatory without the 'A', so why is it there? What does it mean?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
chaikov wrote:
Why is there an 'A' in the icon of Black Market and Secret Warehouse cards?

I mean, the unavailable-ressource-becomes-available-ressource and available-ressource-becomes-one-more-of-the-same icons would be self-explanatory without the 'A', so why is it there? What does it mean?


The "A" represents that it is a resource you could produce but don't have enough of. Whereas the A with an / represents one that you do not already produce. So if you produce Stone for example, it can't be a stone that you get on the black market.

It is different than produce any resource of your choice regardless of whether you produce it or not.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Ducharme

Quebec
msg tools
Thank you, but I already know how those cards work. That was not my question.
My question is about the artwork: those symbols, with their brown/gray backgrounds, would be quite explanatory without any letter printed in the middle.
-why did they print a letter? Why the 'A'?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they jsut wanted to make sure that it's clear that you get two resources of the same kind. If the 'A' wasn't there, the symbols could be interpreted that you have to pay one resource to get two of any kind.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
For your example, the A shows that it's the same resource. Without it, you could exchange one resource for any 2, this means you exchange one for 2 of what you exchanged.

In other words, the A is there to clarify you get the same resources.

EDIT: ninja
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thewifey wrote:
For your example, the A shows that it's the same resource. Without it, you could exchange one resource for any 2, this means you exchange one for 2 of what you exchanged.

In other words, the A is there to clarify you get the same resources.

EDIT: ninja


YES! I finally ninja'd somebody!!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chaikov wrote:
Thank you, but I already know how those cards work. That was not my question.
My question is about the artwork: those symbols, with their brown/gray backgrounds, would be quite explanatory without any letter printed in the middle.
-why did they print a letter? Why the 'A'?
I deem the letter 'A' to be necessary.

In Cities, the card that says...
A --> A
makes it clearer that that the resource you're producing can't already be the same as on the left hand side. Of course, you'll need to consult the rulebook for first time players to clarify that the whole thing is "something that you don't alr produce on a brown or gray background". Without the 'A', it may be interpreted as from yellow background cards, or "if you don't produce a brown, then you can get gray", and vice versa


Catan has a power that says
AA --> B
Using A vs. B shows clearly shows that the input resources must be the same. Furthermore, the yield must be different from what you inputted (I guess there may be a future special power that gives you an effect or bonus for using wonder powers [shrug])
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Ducharme

Quebec
msg tools
emptyset wrote:
I think they jsut wanted to make sure that it's clear that you get two resources of the same kind. If the 'A' wasn't there, the symbols could be interpreted that you have to pay one resource to get two of any kind.
I get it now! Thank you very much!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
thewifey wrote:
For your example, the A shows that it's the same resource. Without it, you could exchange one resource for any 2, this means you exchange one for 2 of what you exchanged.

In other words, the A is there to clarify you get the same resources.

EDIT: ninja


YES! I finally ninja'd somebody!!!

When I first did that it was the proudest day of my life.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.