Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: notes [+] [View All]
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I've played 3 or 4 "solo" sessions, playing as two different factions each time, as a way to familiarize myself with the rules and glean some (very) basic strategy. Then I got 4 guys to play with me at a meetup last weekend, so I've had one actual multi-player game. Last night I decided to dive in the the Automa rules and played my first Autometta game, and it was a complete blast! I thought dealing with the AI would be distracting and unwieldy, but I was so wrong. By halfway through the game, I already knew many of the Move actions intuitively and was able to complete the Automa turns very quickly, and without distracting me from my own plans and schemes for domination.

There was one thing I did that I wondered about, and I'd thought I'd get confirmation here, though I'm pretty sure I was playing correctly. The Automa got to the factory shortly before I did; when I arrived I was able to defeat him in combat, take over the spot and claim my card. A couple of turns after that, I moved 2 mechs onto the Factory and freed my character to go Encounter hunting. From that point on, the Automa had no chance of regaining the Factory hex, because (and here, finally, comes my question) the Automa never attacks with multiple units, correct? Of course, even if it did, as long as I kept at least one other combat unit isolated, the Factory would never be the target of an attack, so I essentially had it locked up regardless of my combat strength. (The Automa always prioritizes target hexes by fewest enemy units.)

Am I missing anything?

-djm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kuhn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a correct reading of the rules to me. As long as you have a mech or your character is a valid option. The Automa won't attack the factory.

Interesting strat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
So far, I've played 3 or 4 "solo" sessions, playing as two different factions each time, as a way to familiarize myself with the rules and glean some (very) basic strategy. Then I got 4 guys to play with me at a meetup last weekend, so I've had one actual multi-player game. Last night I decided to dive in the the Automa rules and played my first Autometta game, and it was a complete blast! I thought dealing with the AI would be distracting and unwieldy, but I was so wrong. By halfway through the game, I already knew many of the Move actions intuitively and was able to complete the Automa turns very quickly, and without distracting me from my own plans and schemes for domination.

There was one thing I did that I wondered about, and I'd thought I'd get confirmation here, though I'm pretty sure I was playing correctly. The Automa got to the factory shortly before I did; when I arrived I was able to defeat him in combat, take over the spot and claim my card. A couple of turns after that, I moved 2 mechs onto the Factory and freed my character to go Encounter hunting. From that point on, the Automa had no chance of regaining the Factory hex, because (and here, finally, comes my question) the Automa never attacks with multiple units, correct? Of course, even if it did, as long as I kept at least one other combat unit isolated, the Factory would never be the target of an attack, so I essentially had it locked up regardless of my combat strength. (The Automa always prioritizes target hexes by fewest enemy units.)

Am I missing anything?

-djm

The automa never attacks with multiple units. However it can attack a hex with multiple of your units. When determining which hex it will attack it first looks for all hexes with enemy units that are adjacent to automa units. All hexes with any number of your combat units in them that are adjacent to automa units are considered valid hexes. Then it will select the valid hex with the fewest combat units on it. So if you had two hexes with combat units that were adjacent to automa units (of any kind, workers, mechs or characters), one being the factory with two mechs and one being another hex with one mech, it would never choose the factory. However, if the factory is the only hex with your combat units in it that is adjacent to automa units, it would choose that hex to attack no matter how many of your combat units are in it.

So it is possible for it to attack you under these circumstances. To prevent it you need to ensure that you have a hex with one combat unit in it that is also adjacent to automa units. If it forces that unit to retreat, you could be in trouble next turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth noting that, while the Automa doesn't attack with multiple units, it can definitely pull multiple cards. In fact, it can pull as many as 3 in one attack depending on the card draw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
It's also worth noting that, while the Automa doesn't attack with multiple units, it can definitely pull multiple cards. In fact, it can pull as many as 3 in one attack depending on the card draw!

Exactly. It doesn't matter that there aren't multiple units on the hex. The number of cards is the only real difference between units, and this can happen during any attack with the Automa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Excellent point! In essence it can attack with the virtual equivalent of 3 mechs by its ability to draw 3 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Excellent point! In essence it can attack with the virtual equivalent of 3 mechs by its ability to draw 3 cards.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for all of your excellent collective analysis.

I think part of why it seemed to work so well last night is that I was playing Crimea, and could therefore count on stealing a card before every battle, so with that and being able to play two cards to defend, I was feeling a bit invincible, even before I grokked the rule about facing fewer opponents. And I'm not sure I even grokked that, as I think I was missing the adjacency rule, so the Factory was more open to attack than I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I had a similar thing in one game -- as long as I could use a single-unit decoy and have 2 mechs on the Factory, the Automa would chase the weaker unit each turn.

That was only Autometta for me though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, everyone, for helping out by answering the rule questions while I'm currently offline most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.