9 Posts

Dominion: Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: Temple Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Wayne
msg tools
mb
Had a situation come up where a player played Throne Room with a Temple. The only remaining card in hand was a Copper. The player wished to receive a Victory Token and trash the Copper for the first play. Then, receive a Victory Token and trash nothing for his second play (because there was nothing left in his hand). Is this the correct interpretation? In the end it made no difference in the outcome of the game but it would be nice to know for next time. Thanks, I always enjoy being able to rely on the collective wisdom of the users on this site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Newman
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is correct. You do as much of the card as you can, regardless of whether you are able to do all of it. So the sequence is:

Throne Room
Play Temple
+1 VP
Trash Copper
Add VP to Temple pile
Play Temple again
+1 VP
(No cards to trash)
Add VP to Temple pile

(Note that if you have cards in hand, you must trash 1 to 3 differently named ones, even if you'd rather not; there is no "you may". But if you have no cards in hand, you still do the rest of the card - it is not conditional on the trashing. Compare the wording of Moneylender, for example, where the +$3 is conditional on the trashing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wayne
msg tools
mb
Excellent! That was exactly our interpretation. I love that you can rely on the wording of the cards, it really takes all of the speculation out of most situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's fine so far ...however, the last point highlighted implied that if you have at least three differently named cards in hand, then you are obliged to trash three of them.

My understanding From,the wording is that you must trash at least one card if you have at least one in hand. However, it says "Trash from 1 to 3 differently named cards from your hand"

Therefore,,surely you must trash at least one but no more than three.
It's a choice 1,2 or 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
TrevorDay wrote:
Therefore,,surely you must trash at least one but no more than three.
It's a choice 1,2 or 3

You do not have to trash 2 or 3 just because you can; you have to trash at least one if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorDay wrote:
That's fine so far ...however, the last point highlighted implied that if you have at least three differently named cards in hand, then you are obliged to trash three of them.

No, you aren't required to trash more than one card and no one said otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed ... You said it more succinctly than I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I mis-read what Philip wrote. I thought that there was an implication that if you can you must trash the two or three. Words can be so meaningful and sometimes so confusing (for me ...that is). I remember a spelling test at school,when I was 10yrs old ... She (Juff) asked us to spell the word "ore" and that's what I wrote. It was wrong. She meant "or". I got annoyed and felt cheated. My score was 19/20 and should have been 20/20. It could even have been "oar" ...
Words very meaningful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Dominion is quite good (though not perfect) at having a few guiding principles which aid in the interpretation of everything written on cards in the game.

One of the key principles is that whenever told to do something, it's not optional unless it says "may", and if you can't do it, you do as much of it as possible.

That means a card can simply say "Trash 3 differently named cards from your hand" if the intent is "If you have cards with 3 or more different names in your hand, trash 3 differently named cards from your hand; otherwise if you have cards with 2 different names in your hand, trash one of each; otherwise, if you have cards in your hand, trash one; otherwise do nothing".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.