Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The suburban dad who orders a virgin margarita at Chili's and tips 10% (because why should a waitress get more than the LORD).

VS

The suburban dad who lets you have a beer with him but you have to listen to him talk about his favorite Eagles songs for an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Tim Kaine gay in a Lindsey Graham sort of way ? He just seems to have that effeminate vibe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really an fantastic election.....just amazing to see all the twists and turns.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Is Tim Kaine gay in a Lindsey Graham sort of way ? He just seems to have that effeminate vibe.

No wonder I always inexplicitly liked Lindsey Graham so much... he's my people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
No wonder I always inexplicitly liked Lindsey Graham so much... he's my people!

That's the kind of thing I would keep inexplicit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Will the Donald learn how to debate before September? I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

He really, really doesn't have to.

First debate wrote:
Hillary: But your plan to build a border wall would bankrupt the country, collapse the economy, and accomplish none of your stated goals!

Trump: Well at least I don't love ISIS. They're the worst - they're losers.

[Trump: +5 points in polls, Hillary: -2 points in polls]

Hillary: I don't...what...that...it doesn't even address the question of the ludicrous plan to build a wall on our border with another nat...

Trump: Neither does your mom. I'm a winner! Only I can fix America! I don't even know what you are talking about?

[Trump: +10 points in polls, Hillary: -5 points in polls]

Hillary: Indeed, my mother's dream is the dream of any mother for their child, to see a better Ameri...

Trump: HurHur, yur mom. I'll build a wall - not just any wall. The best wall.

[Trump: +100 points in polls, Hillary: -50 points in polls]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Republican Vice Presidential Candidate Mike Pence Doesn't Believe In The Minimum Wage

chopkins828 wrote:
The suburban dad who orders a virgin margarita at Chili's and tips 10% (because why should a waitress get more than the LORD).

VS

The suburban dad who lets you have a beer with him but you have to listen to him talk about his favorite Eagles songs for an hour.

Correction: Since he's a Dominionist, Indiana Republican Governor Mike Pence probably doesn't believe in tipping anyway because Dominionists don't even believe in the notion of the Miniumum Wage for that matter.

> Excerpts from the July 16, 2016 Huffington Post news story by Sam Levine entitled:

Mike Pence Once Thought A $7.25 Minimum Wage Was Too High
As Governor of Indiana, he also worked to block wage increases.

Indiana Republican Gov. Mike Pence, Donald Trump’s Vice Presidential pick, opposed a successful effort in 2007 to raise the federal Minimum Wage to $7.25 an hour over two years.

Pence, then a congressman, took to the House floor to explain why he opposed raising the Minimum Wage, which was then $5.15 an hour.

“A 41% increase in the Minimum Wage that is brought into the well of Congress without providing any relief to small business owners and family farmers is irresponsible and unwise,” he said. “It will harm both the wage payer and the wage earner. An excessive increase in the minimum wage will hurt the working poor.”

Raising the Minimum Wage is enormously popular with the American public. In a letter sent to Congress in 2014, over 600 economists noted “the weight of evidence now showing that increases in the minimum wage have had little or no negative effect on the employment of minimum-wage workers, even during times of weakness in the labor market.”

The measure eventually passed the House 348-73 as part of a package on Iraq spending, according to The New York Times. The legislation included $4,840,000,000.00 in tax breaks for small businesses.

It’s not the only time Pence has blocked efforts to raise the minimum wage. In 2013, he signed a law blocking local governments in Indiana from requiring businesses to offer higher wages or benefits beyond those required by federal law, according to the Times of Northwest Indiana.

In 2015, Pence also repealed a law that required construction companies working on publicly funded projects to pay a prevailing wage, which effectively set a wage floor to prevent different construction firms from cutting wages in an effort to lower their bids.

Pence’s running mate has changed his own position on the Minimum Wage repeatedly. Last year, he said he did not support raising the Minimum Wage, but he has also expressed an openness to raising it. Hillary Clinton has said she would sign a bill setting a $15.00 minimum wage ― though her position on the issue hasn’t always been so clear.

The following is about why Dominionists oppose the Minimum Wage.

> Excerpt from the March 25, 2011 Right Wing Watch news story by Kyle Mantyla entitled:

Dominionist Pseudo-Historian David Barton of Wallbuilders Declares: "Jesus Opposed The Minimum Wage"

As we noted yesterday in our post about Bryan Fischer interviewing Rep. Michele Bachmann, a group of conservative leaders - including Bachmann, Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingrich, Haley Barbour, and David Barton - have gathered for a Religious Right event in Iowa aimed at mobilizing pastors called "Rediscover God In America."

The event is being webcast by the American Family Association and last night David Barton got the festivities underway by explaining to the audience that all of our economic and tax policies ought to be dictated by the Bible ... and that means getting rid of the Minimum Wage because it was opposed by Jesus.

(Barton didn't actually cite the passage he uses to support this claim in this presentation, but it is Matthew 20:1-16.)

The Laborers in the Vineyard
Matthew 20: 1-16

1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a master of a house who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard.

2 After agreeing with the laborers for a denarius* [a] a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

3 And going out about the third hour he saw others standing idle in the marketplace,

4 and to them he said, "You go into the vineyard too, and whatever is right I will give you."

5 So they went. Going out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour, he did the same.

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing. And he said to them, "Why do you stand here idle all day?"

7 They said to him, "Because no one has hired us." He said to them, "You go into the vineyard too."

8 And when evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, "Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last, up to the first."

9 And when those hired about the eleventh hour came, each of them received a denarius.

10 Now when those hired first came, they thought they would receive more, but each of them also received a denarius.

11 And on receiving it they grumbled at the master of the house,

12 saying, "These last worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat."

13 But he replied to one of them, "Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius?

14 Take what belongs to you and go. I choose to give to this last worker as I give to you.

15 Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?

16 So the last will be first, and the first last.”

*Denarius = a Roman silver coin worth about 15 cents. It took its name from its being first equal to 10 "asses," a number afterwards increased to 16. It was the principal silver coin of the Roman commonwealth. From the parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard, it would seem that a denarius was then the ordinary pay for a day's labor.

When North Carolina Republican Gov. Pat McCrory (who's already been confirmed to be in the Dominionist camp) signed that discriminatory anti-LGBT bill into law this Spring, it overrode pre-existing laws of local governments so that in addition to invalidating prior-existing anti-discriminatnion protections for LGBT folks, it also prevented them from passing any more anti-discrimination laws to protect LGBT folks as well as preventing them from being able to raise their current Minimum Wage with only a few exceptions. That news really startled me because it had only been a few days earlier that I'd first read about pseudo-historian David Barton asserting that Jesus opposed the Minimum Wage (even though the concept of the Minimum Wage didn't exist during the lifetime of Jesus Christ).

Also, Dominionists like David Barton consider retirement as unBiblical, too.

What may surprise you, however, about this David Barton character is that he's also a prominent Texas Tea Party Republican whose reputation is fairly untarnished among Republicans because of his allies for whom he's proven politically useful over the years. Barton was also one of the main writers of both the 2012 and 2016 National Republican Party's political platform, too.

Suggested Further Reading Via Clickable News-Story Links

Rise of a Right-wing Quack: Faux-Historian David Barton’s Shocking New Influence

Meet the Far Right's Favorite Quack Historian

David Barton of Wallbuilders Assures Glenn Beck That The Government Can Outlaw Homosexuality

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

XanderF wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

Indeed, there's been growing speculation that Trump will attempt to back out of the three scheduled Presidential debates altogether.

If, however, he doesn't back out, then Trump and Clinton will participate in three prime-time debates:

• The first debate will be on Monday, Sept. 26 at Hofstra University on Long Island, NY.

• Clinton and Trump square off for their second debate on Sunday, Oct. 9 at Washington University in St. Louis, MO.

• The final presidential debate will be held Wednesday, Oct. 19 at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, NV.

There will also be one Vice Presidential debate.

Trump's running mate, Republican Indiana Gov. Mike Pence and Clinton's vice presidential choice, Democratic U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia, will meet at Longwood University, Farmville, Va. on Tuesday, Oct. 4.

The debates will last 90 minutes, and each one will begin at at 9 p.m. EST.

All the debates will be broadcast live on C-SPAN, ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, CNN, Fox News and MSNBC, among others media outlets. The moderators have not yet been announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
The Kaine-Pence debate should be among the dullest 90 minutes in TV history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

First debate wrote:
Hillary: But your plan to build a border wall would bankrupt the country, collapse the economy, and accomplish none of your stated goals!

Trump: Well at least I don't love ISIS. They're the worst - they're losers.

[Trump: +5 points in polls, Hillary: -2 points in polls]

Hillary: I don't...what...that...it doesn't even address the question of the ludicrous plan to build a wall on our border with another nat...

Trump: Neither does your mom. I'm a winner! Only I can fix America! I don't even know what you are talking about?

[Trump: +10 points in polls, Hillary: -5 points in polls]

Hillary: Indeed, my mother's dream is the dream of any mother for their child, to see a better Ameri...

Trump: HurHur, yur mom. I'll build a wall - not just any wall. The best wall.

[Trump: +100 points in polls, Hillary: -50 points in polls]
It's sad but I rally do fear this may be closer to the truth now then I would have thought six months ago.

I really do think that political discourse has reached this level now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Aren't all VP debates dull wastes of time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
slatersteven wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Aren't all VP debates dull wastes of time?

Well the memorable "I knew Jack Kennedy, you're no Jack Kennedy" line came out of a VP debate.

But it didn't make any difference to the election, so perhaps a less-dull waste of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

remorseless1 wrote:

Not if Kaine brings to light certain telling controversial details about Pence's Dominionist beliefs and how those extremist beliefs of his complement his approach to public policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.