Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: an Rules and an RtL question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Houtz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
When a Master Flesh Moulder is attacking me. It's card tells me to roll a blue and 2 grey dies. Are the shields on the grey dies hits or what?

When do I refresh cards when playing with RTL? At the beginning of each round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Act II Master flesh moulders have 1 blue and 2 yellow dice. The Grey dice are defense dice. You only roll them when a hero attacks a monster.

All cards are refreshed at the start of a player's turn. Also in rtl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Houtz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I guess these tired OLD eyes couldn't tell the difference between grey and yellow.
I have been doing the right thing about refreshing the cards.

Thanks for the quick reply
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, pay close attention on whether you should use the act I or act II monster cards. I'm having the feeling you might be using the act II card where you should have been using the other act. Act II monsters are stronger than their act I counterparts and can be discerned by the I or II on the right side of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Houtz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I am into a beginners learning curve. I don't understand the act 1, act 2 etc.
The app told me to place the Flesh Moulders, so I did. I also set up my class without regard to the act. Nothing told me otherwise.
If I should be paying attention to the ACT. How do I handle the app when it tells me otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two sets of monster cards one for act I and one for act II. Each monster has an act I and an act II card. On the front of the card on the right hand side in the middle is a roman numeral that indicates which act it belongs to. This also appears on the top of the card on the back. When playing with the app use act I cards until it instructs you otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Houtz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I found the act 1 Flesh Moulder card. I must have missed it when I was separating the cards. I checked everything else and it seems OK.

I hope this makes a difference because I was losing bad. I am going to start over.
\
I really appreciate the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Houtz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I am trying to learn this game so I can play my grandsons. I am probably a lot older than most of U. I am 79!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chub18028 wrote:
I am trying to learn this game so I can play my grandsons. I am probably a lot older than most of U. I am 79!

Right on! Playing games keeps you young!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great, I wish my grandpa would play Descent! Let us know how it goes once you get a chance to play it with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Joe has said, every single monster has two monster cards. One for act I and one for act II. Act II monsters are a lot stronger than act I monsters, so that certainly can make a difference! About halfway in the campaign you switch to act II. This means that the monsters get stronger and that the heroes get access to more powerful items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Houtz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I have been playing board and historical miniatures games all my life. I have painted 20,000 miniatures, in my time. I quit the painting and playing with miniatures in 2004. I am thinking of painting the Descent 2e figs. I have been doing only board games since. I got serious about board games when Squad Leader came out in 1977. Attended all the conventions since Historicon started. I was a member of HMGS.

I have been playing computer and console games since 1963. I am a computer geek and can program in more languages than I can remember. I have a ton of games. and still play with the PS3.

There is another board game, with a solo expansion, that I started playing around 2005. It is called Conflict of Heroes. It is almost a mirror of Descent 2e. It is manual instead of with an app. This is why I am not having any problem with most of the rules. With the solo component, movement, attacks, etc are almost exactly like Descent 2e, cards and all (and just as fun).

On top of everything else I have been married for 57 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chub18028 wrote:
I have been playing board and historical miniatures games all my life. I have painted 20,000 miniatures, in my time. I quit the painting and playing with miniatures in 2004. I am thinking of painting the Descent 2e figs. I have been doing only board games since. I got serious about board games when Squad Leader came out in 1977. Attended all the conventions since Historicon started. I was a member of HMGS.

I have been playing computer and console games since 1963. I am a computer geek and can program in more languages than I can remember. I have a ton of games. and still play with the PS3.

There is another board game, with a solo expansion, that I started playing around 2005. It is called Conflict of Heroes. It is almost a mirror of Descent 2e. It is manual instead of with an app. This is why I am not having any problem with most of the rules. With the solo component, movement, attacks, etc are almost exactly like Descent 2e, cards and all (and just as fun).

On top of everything else I have been married for 57 years.

That, sir, is a serious gaming pedigree! I bow down to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.