Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not your usual "which are the better sleeves?" post, so I'll explain a curious problem I'm facing.

Due to a stroke of luck I was able to obtain 1500 Mayday Standard Sleeves and 1500 Mayday Pro Sleeves at a discount. So far, so good.

My group now owns 3 x Base Set, and all the Deluxe Expansions and Adventure Packs up to The Grey Havens (but no Saga Expansion). We plan to do a classic "Progression Series". We still have to sleeve our cards.

The question becomes: which kind of cards should be sleeved with the "Standard" variety, and wich ones with "Pro" sleeves?

For Heroes I think you should use Pro. That's a given.

For Quest cards I guess that Standard is enough: you don't really shuffle them too much.

The the real "shufflituri" cards are, of course, the Player and Encounter ones. My instinct would be to use Standard for Encounter and Pro for Player. However, it is my understanding that player decks change and evolve, with cards being permanently retired and others added as the card pool expands, whereas encounter decks are always the same: when you (re)play a quest you use those cards. Intuitively, the wear-and-tear should thus be higher with the latter.

So, I confess that I'm stumped. In your opinion (and experience) which cards deserve Standard sleeves, and which ones Pro sleeves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Presumably a single (responsible) person handles the encounter deck, while cretinous philistines of dubious responsibilityrespected fellow players handle the player decks, so give player decks the stronger sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Use your best sleeves for anything that shuffles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullgator wrote:
An alternative would be to leave the encounter cards un-sleeved while in storage and sleeve them with the better sleeves when they come out to be played.

I just got them all sleeved up yesterday, and it was un-fun enough that I would not wish redoing it upon anybody here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:

I just got them all sleeved up yesterday, and it was un-fun enough that I would not wish redoing it upon anybody here

Cool box! Did you build it or it is available for sale?

[BTW, I find sleeving strangely relaxing....]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reckall wrote:

Cool box! Did you build it or it is available for sale?

That's an event box or something, from what I could gather by posting it elsewhere. Paid the price of a pack of art sleeves for it. Others might exist for the rest of the expansions, but good luck finding them :/

Also got one for AGoT 1e - they're both roughly 500-card size.

Quote:
[BTW, I find sleeving strangely relaxing....]

It can be, until the straing gets to me. Some games I just play-sleeve. Make decks, shuffle gently (or use an electric shuffler), sleeve cards as I pull them. Good when playing solo and/or not in a hurry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always sleeve the encounter cards in soft sleeves and the player cards in thicker ones. So I would vote for this method too. In my experience the player cards are not necessarily shuffled more but with holding them in hand all the time I prefer it this way.

I would sleeve everything in thick sleeves, but I have to save some cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.