7 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: First play, first round help...simple question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
So as title reads I'm just delving into the Lotr and I knooow this is such a neophyte question but it's taking me a while to get the wheels rolling for some reason. (First dedicated card game maybe.)

So round one I ran into Chieftain Ufthak to which I used Thicket of Spears to stop his attack..My attack left him with one hp remaining.
Upon refresh I got Feint which looks decidedly similar to Thicket of Spears.
So my thought was to use that next and destroy him without him hurting anyone.
So is this viable?
And why does Thicket cost 3 for three separate Heros, while feint simply costs one?
I know I'm missing something painfully obvious but a quick google didn't yield any answers.

Insights very appreciated!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Austin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

I am certainly no expert, but that sounds legit.

I think the main difference is that Thicket of Spears will shut down all enemies engaged with a player, where Feint will only shut down a single enemy engaged with the player. That is why they are different costs. Thicket is a more powerful card, so it is more expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
Dagaren wrote:
Welcome!

I am certainly no expert, but that sounds legit.

I think the main difference is that Thicket of Spears will shut down all enemies engaged with a player, where Feint will only shut down a single enemy engaged with the player. That is why they are different costs. Thicket is a more powerful card, so it is more expensive.

Ah yess that little word "ALL" would make a heck of a difference!
Thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, of course, he is playing the Tactics deck...

Just a little heads-up: The Tactics deck is not exactly the best-suited for solo play. Tactics is all about the fighting and has a lot of trouble in the quest phase. The other three all are more balanced in that regard.

Also, the preconstructed beginner "decks" are not really decks. They are more like little demo decks. They are alright for Passage Through Mirkwood, but beyond that you will need something better constructed than those.

So, if you notice you are running into a dead-end there, this might be it.

Have fun!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've all made that choice, (to run with Tactics for our first few games), then learnt the hard way why that isn't wise!
Keep practising with other decks and you'll pick up the flow of the game in no time

The best resource I uses was Beorn's Path (just Google it), for a great tutorial into combining decks suited to each scenario. Very informative and offers lots of 'ahh, I get it now' moments for newbies. Best thing I did was look that up and work through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a Tactics monodeck once. It was the only time

I find Tactics plus Leadership or Lore is a decent combination. Spirit has enough tools to do everything else that they're better monodecks, but Tactics makes great bodyguards for them. It's just really boring without the other spheres :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmb
JimBGG wrote:
We've all made that choice, (to run with Tactics for our first few games), then learnt the hard way why that isn't wise!
Keep practising with other decks and you'll pick up the flow of the game in no time

The best resource I uses was Beorn's Path (just Google it), for a great tutorial into combining decks suited to each scenario. Very informative and offers lots of 'ahh, I get it now' moments for newbies. Best thing I did was look that up and work through it.

Thanks for that resource! I really didn't have any idea regarding deck building. I guess I'll try the core only set build suggestion..it seemed to be highly regarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.