Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone talk through the sequence for light mortars using the BRL system (this version of the game definitely needs its own entry here).

Trying to get my cranium around the steps to use these. The bigger Mortars have Acq markers to go through the process and its slightly cleaner process.

So take me through the process of a 50mm Light Mortar firing at a target 9 hexes away with a Heat Haze of 1 per 6 hexes. What is a direct hit, near miss (collateral damage) and a miss? And what is the near miss/collateral damage info on the charts as it seems that that info is crushed together and not readable what the modifier is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stearns
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T-Mo wrote:
Can anyone talk through the sequence for light mortars using the BRL system (this version of the game definitely needs its own entry here).

Trying to get my cranium around the steps to use these. The bigger Mortars have Acq markers to go through the process and its slightly cleaner process.

So take me through the process of a 50mm Light Mortar firing at a target 9 hexes away with a Heat Haze of 1 per 6 hexes. What is a direct hit, near miss (collateral damage) and a miss? And what is the near miss/collateral damage info on the charts as it seems that that info is crushed together and not readable what the modifier is.

The 50mm Mtr on the HPT has a max range of 7 hexes (11 on the HPT)... The procedure starts at rule 6.2.1... The chart you are looking for is on the same side as the Experimental HE Damge Table (lower right) Direct Hits by Mortars Effects Table. So unless I've completely missed the boat on this, you can't hit the target at 9 hexes according to the German HPT chart. Any modifiers to the die roll only add to the die roll required!

Rulebook (v1.3) and charts and table are the latest revision for the BRL1192 Core Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I meant to say Range 7.

If I read this right then 1st Turn of firing it is no hit as it has a ROF of 0. So it is just ranging. Since these small mortars don't have a FFE/ACQ counter do you just mark it with a normal Acq Marker?

So 16 Frag out to 7 Hexes. So the "11" number on the HPT is the Direct Hit at Range 7. So at that range due to +1 for Heat Haze - I would need a 12 for Direct Hit and any other result is a Near Miss? What would be considered a Miss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stearns
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T-Mo wrote:
Sorry I meant to say Range 7.

If I read this right then 1st Turn of firing it is no hit as it has a ROF of 0. So it is just ranging. Since these small mortars don't have a FFE/ACQ counter do you just mark it with a normal Acq Marker?

So 16 Frag out to 7 Hexes. So the "11" number on the HPT is the Direct Hit at Range 7. So at that range due to +1 for Heat Haze - I would need a 12 for Direct Hit and any other result is a Near Miss? What would be considered a Miss?

NP about the range. All mortars do have ACQ markers (Bonus Counter sheet Z in the Core Game). And Yes the first turn is 0, the second turn is FFE (-3 DRM for Acquired)... So at 7 hexes distance the base HPN is 11. Add or subtract all DRM's to get the final HPN number. IF the final HPN is greater than 12 treat it as a miss (no effect). If your roll is less than 2 from the final HPN treat as a near miss. Two tables to check for your result, the Direct Hits by Motars Effects Table and the On and Off Board Indirect Fire Effects Table (the On and Off board table supersedes where they differ).

So a direct hit against infantry reduces Cover state (full fragmentation), a near miss has no effect on cover state (half fragmentation), and a miss has no effect. Direct hits against Weapons Units, AFV's and Other Vehicles result in either F-Kill or K-Kill (depends on type unit), see the chart for other possibilities.

So if I understand this correctly, the base HPN number is 11, DRM's are +1 for the haze (12), -3 for acquired (9). That leave us with a 9, 10, 11, 12 for a direct hit, 7 or 8 being a near miss (which is 2 less than final HPN of 9), any other die result (2-7) is a miss, which has no effect.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stearns
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap... No -3 DRM possible in the above. D'oh, what was I thinking.

So the base HPN is 11, +1 for the heat haze equals 12 for a direct hit, 10 and 11 would be a near miss, any other die roll is a miss with no effect.

- Jim (who has a mind like a steel trap that is both rusty and sprung)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stearjas wrote:

So the base HPN is 11, +1 for the heat haze equals 12 for a direct hit, 10 and 11 would be a near miss, any other die roll is a miss with no effect.

Wow that is pretty brutal. Hell's bells - you are right there is markers for the light mortars. Jim- do you play any games via Vassal - I am working on CH approved version of a Vassal module for this game - there are a lot of counters in this game for sure. If interested in a Tobruk BRL game - I can send you a link to the module (still a work in progress but I need some veterans of the system to test it with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stearns
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T-Mo wrote:
Stearjas wrote:

Wow that is pretty brutal. Hell's bells - you are right there is markers for the light mortars. Jim- do you play any games via Vassal - I am working on CH approved version of a Vassal module for this game - there are a lot of counters in this game for sure. If interested in a Tobruk BRL game - I can send you a link to the module (still a work in progress but I need some veterans of the system to test it with me.

Never tried Vassal Terry. I can always try it if it helps you out. I should also get motivated and write the BRL1192 game entry for BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

Fiddle around with Vassal then let me know if you are interested in a game. It would help if you had some Vassal usage under your belt before tackling an in progress module.

P.S. 99 out of 100 wargame plays that I get are done via Vassal. It is a great tool for wargamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I should also get motivated and write the BRL1192 game entry for BGG!

thumbsup

OR, send me your copy of BRL so that I may cobble together an informed entry. Yeah, that's a good plan. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.