Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me just get out of the way... I love SMG, I love their games, I love their low price, I love their incredibly short turnaround time from KS to fulfillment.

My only gripe is with the boxes.

a] They have no insert so everything sloshes around.

b] They are blank on the sides so when stacked on my shelf I can't see what's what.

c] The box for GearSeed is a different size in all three dimensions than Hemloch and Omen (my other two "black box" SMG games) so it doesn't even look good sitting in a stack. Like the Alea "bookshelf" series did.

d] The box for GearSeed is WAAAAAAY bigger than it needed to be. The game is 52 cards. It belongs in a tuckbox. Which I now have to make myself.

It's like Mr. Clowdus was walking along one day and a bunch of small boxes fell off the back of a truck and he said, "By golly, I'm gonna start a business selling things in these small boxes. Maybe I'll design a bunch of small games and put them in these small boxes. Ooh, that gives me an idea for a name!"

laugh

Seriously, though.
What's with the boxes man?

I liked the tall box for Hemloch. It was different.

I think your games deserve nicer boxes than you've been giving them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate that this box is big enough to hold the sleeved cards at least. The box for The Nile Ran Red wasn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve too. So sorry for the Tuck Box crowd, I am pro-box size. Neolithic in the Tuck was too small.

And the box was able to have Neolithic, Synod, and Gearseed shipped. I say good job on the box, but, yes the lack of writing on all sidesnis sometimes maddening.

All the other assets make me not care. I can says sticker then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Saluga
United States
Ramsey
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does GearSeed come by itself in the black box or only when packaged with Synod? I thought GearSeed was gonna come in a similar tuckbox like his most recent games if ordered by itself. That is one thing about Small Box Games. There's almost no uniformity. They're all minimal games and they've come in almost every box size and shape (albeit all small).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to sleeve everything. I still remember the night I sleeved Thunderstone. gulp I don't sleeve much anymore.

Eminent Domain Microcosm had a beautiful solution for tuckbox vs sleeves. The tuckbox came with a cardboard insert. No sleeves? Use the insert. Sleeves? Chuck the insert. Perfect fit either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
I used to sleeve everything. I still remember the night I sleeved Thunderstone. gulp I don't sleeve much anymore.

How is that Carpal Tunnel syndrome going? I think it is such a tough call, box is too small and sleevers don't like it, box is too big, non sleevers don't like it. I don;t have microcosm, but that sounds like a well done way to go. I bag up everything in my boxes and chuck out the inserts unless it is well made. It was funny, I played this tonight and grabbed the Warhammer Adventure Card game off the shelf, which is in a much bigger box (typical Fantasy Flights trench insert) and was thinking I could fit this whole game other than the quest boards into this smaller box. I put my copy of Neolithic and Keep in the box with the GearSeed Saga and it all fits nicely. I am assuming I can set that box on top of Omen and Hemloch and they will all be pleasantly uniform. I think. I should have tested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Mendes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also annoyed by the box of the GearSeed saga. It looks gorgeous, yes, but even with Synod it is still way too big. Seriously, I could fit GearSeed, Synod, and even throw in Omen and Keep on the same box if I wanted. I like SMG games because they are small, and so I'll probably just store the box somewhere else and use a deck box to hold the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each to their own.

The box is great, I can pack 3 SBGames in it.

PLB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.