Subject: AFV on crest line and Double Time target variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralf Northman
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Hello!

I have some house rules I'm tinkering with.

Regarding the AFV on crest line modifier for AT fire: I think the modifier only should apply when the firer is below the target. Only then I imagine the hull down effect would be in play. Then we have to deal with the case of fire groups firing at AFVs on crest lines from different heights. If one of them fires from below, apply the modifier to the whole fire group, otherwise don't. Pretty straightforward I think.

The other thing is the Double Time target modifier for AP and ART fire. I'm not sure what this is trying to simulate, so in ignorance I'm changing it.
With my change you only get the -2 for Double Time target when you shoot the running unit with Reaction fire (instead of moving target modifier, not on top of). This is before the unit gets the actual Double Time marker! For units with the Double Time marker we add a +1 modifier for Defensive fire and defensive Anti-Armor Assault. We also add Double Time modifiers for Hand to Hand Combat/Armor Support: if a Double Time marked unit is in an assaulted hex the attacker gets a -1 Die roll modifier (also applicable for the Combat Chart roll in Armored Assault). With this change units who have sprinted recently don't get shot up from a distance more easily, but instead are more vulnerable to Assault. I think this feels more right, but I'm not an expert in WWII warfare.

Both of these modifications are changes I'm proposing for reasons of flavor, not balance or game play. I have not really play tested them. Maybe they would break the game or unbalance some or all scenarios, I don't know. I don't have a great deal of experience with the system, so I would be grateful for some feedback from those of you who have. And even from you who don't!

Best Regards
Ralf Northman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ralf, I enjoy the system the same as you. Regarding your house rule on AFV on crest line modifier on firing, do you mean the improved defense modifier? I agree that it only applies when the attacker is at the lower level than the target. If the attacker is firing from a higher crest level hex to a lower level crest level hex, that modifier should not apply. This is something that the rule is silent about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Northman
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Hi Lawrence!

Thank you for your interest!

Lawrence Hung wrote:
Regarding your house rule on AFV on crest line modifier on firing, do you mean the improved defense modifier?

Yes, that's the one, +2 to the dice roll.

Now I noticed that there's a similar modifier (but +1) for AP and ART fire for any kind of target on a crest line. I would apply the same principle there. First draft on how the rule could read:

Both the AP/ART fire modifier for Target on a crest line and the AT modifier for AFV on crest line have the prerequisite of at least one of the attackers being at a lower height compared to the target.

/Ralf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.