War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: The meaning of the symbols in the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly is the Will of the West die supposed to be? Is it the Dwarven rune for the "F" character?

On a similar note, in the BoFA, the rulebook claims that on the fate token and on the back of the fate tiles it is a symbol for fate in Elvish, but "umbar", if I've spelled it correctly, is actually written quite differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the particular Rune used for "Will of the West" was chosen because it somewhat resembles a 'W'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kuhn
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a G in Angerthas. Probably for Gandalf ("Or Grand!"), who is the mover and shaker of the West.

Also, "umbar" is the name of the Quenya rune for "mb." The word means "fate," so that letter is used on the fate tile. It appears to be preceded by a long "A" vowel, though, and I'm not sure why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
That's a G in Angerthas. Probably for Gandalf ("Or Grand!"), who is the mover and shaker of the West.

Also, "umbar" is the name of the Quenya rune for "mb." The word means "fate," so that letter is used on the fate tile. It appears to be preceded by a long "A" vowel, though, and I'm not sure why.

It's the "Gandalf" rune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
What exactly is the Will of the West die supposed to be? Is it the Dwarven rune for the "F" character?

On a similar note, in the BoFA, the rulebook claims that on the fate token and on the back of the fate tiles it is a symbol for fate in Elvish, but "umbar", if I've spelled it correctly, is actually written quite differently.

Have you bought this game yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:

This. The other answers are wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
savedbyhim01 wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:

All those who wonder are not lost...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
savedbyhim01 wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:

Not really me personally, but someone else for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.