Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I build anything three dice high a single black die on top of this will net me 8 point versus the blueprints 6. If I can squeeze another one on top that's 16 total. Why would I choose to build the blueprint? It's not certain I can get the right black die but there's a good chance.
Wouldn't it be better if the blueprint was worth 10 points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rothfuss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine, assume our buildings are tied when we get to the last die. You choose the black and put it on top for 8 points. I will grab the 6 clear die you left behind and complete the blueprint as intended. So now I get 6 points for the die and the bonus 6 for the blueprint. That means 12 points for me compared to your 8 and I win the award by 4 points. Sure, sometimes it is worthwhile to throw out the blueprint, but it all comes down to what dice are on the table and what you have built so far.

Edit:

Highest score you can get without completing the blueprint is a stack of three 6 clear and 3 black on top for 42 (3x6 + 3x8 = 42)

Aside from two or three blueprints that could possibly get 44 because of an 8 point orange, all other blueprints would have a highest score once again of 42 by completing the blueprint out of 6 point clears,(6x6 + 6 = 42).

A bonus of 6 for the blueprint seems perfect to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewrothfuss wrote:
Fine, assume our buildings are tied when we get to the last die. You choose the black and put it on top for 8 points. I will grab the 6 clear die you left behind and complete the blueprint as intended. So now I get 6 points for the die and the bonus 6 for the blueprint. That means 12 points for me compared to your 8 and I win the award by 4 points. Sure, sometimes it is worthwhile to throw out the blueprint, but it all comes down to what dice are on the table and what you have built so far.

Edit:

Highest score you can get without completing the blueprint is a stack of three 6 clear and 3 black on top for 42 (3x6 + 3x8 = 42)

Aside from two or three blueprints that could possibly get 44 because of an 8 point orange, all other blueprints would have a highest score once again of 42 by completing the blueprint out of 6 point clears,(6x6 + 6 = 42).

A bonus of 6 for the blueprint seems perfect to me.

Perfectly explained.

When I teach the game I say it like this. You don't have to follow your Blueprint (building rules still followed of course) but there are very few circumstances where it's more point viable to not do so and it's generally driven by the achievements rather than getting the most points.

Eg. Ignore your blueprint to build a 5+ high tower out of 5 dice of the same colour (of the in demand one) and 4 of the same number. Suddenly that's 6 victory points vs. 3 for highest scoring building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's assuming all things are equal. It's very rare to get a perfect score unless the other players are asleep. Blueprints is very tactical and decisions are always affected by the dice in front of you. I'm just pointing out that working toward a fourth level black is very achievable and worth more than completing a blueprint which may not be possible due to what numbers were available at the beginning. I've seen several rounds where NO-ONE builds their blueprint because the immediate options make deviating more worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rothfuss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffyevil wrote:
That's assuming all things are equal. It's very rare to get a perfect score unless the other players are asleep.

You are right, I don't ever expect to get a perfect score. The math for the perfect score was simply a way to show why 6 points for the blueprint seems like a reasonable choice to me.

fluffyevil wrote:
I'm just pointing out that working toward a fourth level black is very achievable and worth more than completing a blueprint which may not be possible due to what numbers were available at the beginning.

Yes a 4th level black is very achievable and 8 points is more than 6 points, however you are forgetting to take into account the additional points of the die you DO play instead of that black die. This is what I was trying to show in the first half of my previous post by choosing the 6 clear instead of the 4th level black. Heck, I could choose a stupid lone green worth 2 points and still break even with that 4th level black because I don't just get 6 for completing the blueprint, but ALSO 2 from the die itself which add up to 8.

fluffyevil wrote:

I've seen several rounds where NO-ONE builds their blueprint because the immediate options make deviating more worthwhile.
And so have I. When I introduce people to the game, I always point out that it sometimes it makes sense to totally ignore the blueprint, and building a tower of black is my traditional example. It all depends on what dice are out.

You said it is a very tactical game and I totally agree. Its one of the reasons I really like this game, there is no cut and dried path to victory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is wood the weakest material? There are usually only a few spots where you can get a decent point value out of it.
Of course the dream building is a tower of black with the numbers 6 to 1 so you could get the tower and the straight and the four of the same material achievements and winning the gold as well. Nothing's better than a tall black shaft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.