GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,298 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit» Forums » General

Subject: Will it continue to retain it's value? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Kruse
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
So, I'm really considering buying this game for around $200. That seems to be the general price it's going for right now. I've played it on tabletop simulator and I know it's a fun game but that price is pretty killer.

However, my thought is...if I buy it for $200 and then for some reason in the future I really needed $200 or wanted to get rid of he game. I could prolly just sell it again for my $200 back...or more.

Do you guys think it will maintain that price for many years to come? I'm pretty certain they will never make another prequel game. Risk Star Wars IMO was a bust that in no way approaches this game. And Star Wars rebellion, while an awesome and superior game, is a totally separate scale of gameplay. The only thing I could see hurting its value would be an equivalent game made from future movies or just people eventually forgetting about its existence and thus demand disappearing. Do you guys think it's likely to be a reasonable investment in the future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never buy it as an "investment", but I do think the game will hold it's value for the foreseeable future. It's held or increased in value for the last decade that I have been in the hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$200 seems reasonable to me. I agree it is unlikely to see a reprint in quite the same form (maybe something akin to the Dune/Rex thing could happen someday). If you look at the price history, it seems to have experienced a recent dip, though I'm not sure why. I can recall a going rate of over $300 not so long ago. Seems like a good time to buy if you ask me.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/pricehistory/thing/939

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Caviris
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Something else to keep in mind is that you'd have to find the right buyer. I tend to keep my board games, so I have no re-sell experience there, but I work for a recording studio that often sells high end vintage guitar amps. One thing I've found is that just because an amp is "worth" a certain amount,only the right customer is willing to pay that much. With rare items, we might be able to get the desired price if we wait long enough or we have sell it for less than it's worth to get someone to buy it within the month. If a board game is "worth" $200 to the right person doesn't mean everyone who wants that game will be willing to pay that high a price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
MILLINGTON
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I would say "Yes" because it's "Star Wars." That's one of the reasons why I bought the game originally when it was released 16+ years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game will hold its value. It's greatest test was Star Wars: Risk which simply isn't as good a game and doesn't offer the same depth of experience. It weathered that storm and will remain valuable, particularly with new Star Wars movies coming out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
This game will hold its value. It's greatest test was Star Wars: Risk which simply isn't as good a game and doesn't offer the same depth of experience. It weathered that storm and will remain valuable, particularly with new Star Wars movies coming out.

I think Charlie sums it up really well. Only thing I'd like to add is that the game comes with a large amount of miniatures and the rest of the components are of good quality - those features alone give the game a solid, base value of $80-100. I'm basing that value on recent games with high, unpainted mini counts... The terrific gameplay, high replayability, and Star Wars branding just pumps up the value to the $200 where you see it today. And due to copyrights and such, I highly doubt we'll see a remake of this for reasons detailed in previous replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty much new to knowing about The Queen's Gambit but I can tell already that in my opinion it'll remain in that $200+ range for the rest of time.....or at least the foreseeable future....

on a related note:
I recently bought Risk: Star Wars Edition and even though I haven't played it yet I already know I'm going to like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Never plan on resell being a buying point. The hobby is known for getting your momey back

2) It will never be reimplemented. The scale is beyond what the Mass Market will do, and the lesser companies do not want that style of game; in its existing form.

3) Dice Tower has essentially guaranteed you that it will not be forgotten. They bring it up at least once a year

4) These are always viable, and valuable, questions. Thanks to those who chimed in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I'm pretty much new to knowing about The Queen's Gambit but I can tell already that in my opinion it'll remain in that $200+ range for the rest of time.....or at least the foreseeable future....

on a related note:
I recently bought Risk: Star Wars Edition and even though I haven't played it yet I already know I'm going to like it.

Finally played it, loved it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.