Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Sails of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: Is this Pokemon?... Do I really need to collect them all? (the ships) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered the base set and 6 other ships... I am sure 5 ships per side is ok and the combinations of 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 will go a ways for replayability.

But I keep going back to the Images gallery and find myself wanting to collect them all.

The gaming sickness is strong with this title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the Pokémon category when it comes to Wings of Glory WWI aircraft. With this game, you could easily play with just the base set and from the looks of it you'll have more to do with five ships per side and not need anything further. Of course once you throw the argument in for needing different nationalities then any justification goes out the window.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Collecting can definitely suck......

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The very first decision about Wings of War has been if to release it as a collectible card games or not. We decided no.
Then we went on with these games making them enjoyable even with a very limited number of planes/ships. No need to buy more to have fun, no traps like new overpowered stuff making the old miniatures obsolete and pressing people to buy more to stay competitive.
Anyway, we try to give nice and variated miniatures. If you like them, buy them. If not, enjoy the game anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrea gave their goals for WoW/WoG, and SoG and they succeeded. You can choose the maximum size of battles you will have, purchase the miniatures to meet that, and just play. What you have won't weaken from failure to purchase and I appreciate that very much.

From a game play perspective, if you buy more ships you might be very unlikely to get them all into a game at the same time, or very rarely, so buying more actually reduces your play of your first purchases. You can be tempted to buy more for a particular scenario or ship combination but again this will reduce your play of your first purchases.

However, the bigger temptation is to buy more because the miniatures (WoG/SoG) are so nice that your collector side can kick in.

So my only suggestion for a newcomer would be to decide early if they just want a playable game and at what level or if they are actually going to be a miniatures collector.

Occasionally there are posts (not in this thread) that suggest the game will die if the miniatures don't come out at a faster pace. I think that these tend to come from people who are primarily feeding the collector side. The game is fine as is. The idea that a game devalues just because it does not roll out expansions drives me a bit crazy (I'm not a CCGer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for setting that perspective KA

GamePlayer wrote:

However, the bigger temptation is to buy more because the miniatures (WoG/SoG) are so nice that your collector side can kick in.

devildevildevildevildevildevildevil

Must... fight... the collector devils...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Thank you for setting that perspective KA

GamePlayer wrote:

devildevildevildevildevildevildevil

Must... fight... the collector devils...

Funny! ... I've got all of the the WoW/WoG and SoG stuff...even some foreign language editions...but I don't consider myself a collector...just a completest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another perspective: The more ships you have the more scenario choices are available to you. I have never figured out when I have enough variety for this game. Note that my set has only been played with once - The rest of the games I have played have been with other player's sets.

Also note that each ship is "dual use" so you really need two of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Miracle
msg tools
I like to have them all. But at least the ball is totally in your court.

Unlike a lot of games, all the ships of a given size are pretty similar in terms of stats/abilities. So you don't have to try to buy the rare one or collect just the right combo. Some people, including me, have noted that this means there isn't really a "deck building" aspect to the game, which might have been a fun thing. But it also means you aren't always chasing the next great (and expensive) piece.

Also, in many cases the ships LOOK pretty similar to one another. So it really is entirely up to you.

Personally, I think games of 3-6 ships per side are more fun. And I don't like to mix frigates and ships-of-the-line. So just on that basis I could easily justify buying 20 ships But even so you don't have to be completist unless that is your thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you like to mix classes of ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like mixing classes unless all the players know a bit about what they are doing AND know how to handle multiple ships. There is a big difference between the classes and Frigates mostly do not do well against SoL unless the SoL are badly damaged. Even swarming n SoL with three or four Frigates can get dull unless each player has a bunch of Frigates (player elimination is an issue for some people).

It can be fun or frustrating to have a frigate in a battle with SOL as you dance around the outskirts of the battle and either act as bait or wait to finish off a hapless SoL.

So it either makes for a good game or a bad one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer frigates vs frigates...they're more maneuverable and faster. SoL are fine but they get boring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To help building fleets with different ships there is a points system on Ares' site, download section. Or scenarios, if you prefer.

http://www.aresgames.eu/category/downloads+sails-of-glory-ga...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Miracle
msg tools
StevenE wrote:
Why don't you like to mix classes of ships?

For me the prime issue is that it was very uncommon historically for frigates and SOLs to mix it up together.

Of course you can come up with balanced scenarios, but from a historical perspective it's very much an outlier case. Part of the problem with these situations, especially the prototypical "1 vs. several," is that it was generally not expected of individual ships to commit suicide, in the hope that their "wolfpack" might be victorious as a group.

Also, like Martin, I find the frigate/SOL mismatch is big enough that a mixed game is less sure of being fun

So while I never say never, mostly I like to play one or the other
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me WoG WWII is my Pokemon. I love WWII planes and cannot wait for the late war planes to come out. I am hoping for jet engines at some point. Ares does a great job on detail for such scale. I collect them mainly for the models, being able to play a game with them is icing on the cake. Larger scale model planes will not have the air speed tube on the wing tip, so that's impressive.

For SoG I am happy with just the starter set Found the game for cheap. I knew it shared some similarities to WoG. The models look nice. So I got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.