mb
Equipment Cards

Core - 18 cards
3 Have duplicates (6 cards)
Railgun x2
Ice blade x2
Hazmat x2
12 singles

So for balance I assume the designer wants to see those 3 duplicated cards more often.

But the expansions are all duplicated, so does that mean the designer wants to see the core 12 non-duplicated cards less often?

Beta - 12 Cards, 6 unique
Gamma - 12 Cards, 6 unique
Delta - 12 Cards, 6 unique
Apocalypse - 12 Cards, 6 unique

I was thinking the duplicates of the expansions was over kill and they would dilute the core deck too much.
Thus decided that I wouldn't include the duplicates from the expansions, only adding 4x6 cards to the core deck.

A couple of the Apocalypse cards seem pretty over-powered. More-so than the non-duplicated ones in the core.

Doomsday Blade - Gain +X dice in combat. X is the current Apocalypse level. It doesn't even say non-ranged.

The Necronomicon - When taking voluntary corruption, you may take 1 wound and double the bonuses.

Paladin Mk III - When you move into a space containing 2 or more fire and/or corruption tokens, heal 2 wounds. Wow like a 4 wound heal from 2 spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wouldn't overthink it, whole game is a dice salad at best. Randomness within the cards isn't that much different than you getting exploding dice 3 times in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
Wouldn't overthink it, whole game is a dice salad at best. Randomness within the cards isn't that much different than you getting exploding dice 3 times in a row.

The best way to lose a game is to assume it's a simple dice fest. Dice = probabilities. Understanding those probabilities is how you succeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Costello
msg tools
I plan to leave the Apocalypse upgrade cards out till I use the expansion. will give the heroes something new along with the new game mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
faralathium wrote:
I plan to leave the Apocalypse upgrade cards out till I use the expansion. will give the heroes something new along with the new game mode.

That would seem to make sense. I will certainly get in a number of games using the basics before throwing in the big Apocalypse monsters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlock00 wrote:

Paladin Mk III - When you move into a space containing 2 or more fire and/or corruption tokens, heal 2 wounds. Wow like a 4 wound heal from 2 spaces.

I think this means you heal two wounds but ALSO take the damage from those tokens. So if you enter a space with two tokens, you would take two damage and heal two wounds, meaning you take no damage. Makes sense considering it's armor.

If you enter a space with more than two corruption/fire tokens you take a little damage. Again, makes sense considering its armor.

To negate the damage and ALSO heal seems too powerful. Also, thematically what is that, like magic healing armor that only heals when it takes damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
trilamb wrote:
Warlock00 wrote:

I think this means you heal two wounds but ALSO take the damage from those tokens. So if you enter a space with two tokens, you would take two damage and heal two wounds, meaning you take no damage. Makes sense considering it's armor.

If you enter a space with more than two corruption/fire tokens you take a little damage. Again, makes sense considering its armor.

To negate the damage and ALSO heal seems too powerful. Also, thematically what is that, like magic healing armor that only heals when it takes damage?

Because of how Fire and Corruption work (roll dice), it's very possible to walk into an area and heal 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Just played a game where Heroes got the Paladin Mk III item. They didn't really use it effectively. I guess there's times the Heroes are still scared of gaining corruption. Other times they still scared of burning to death before they can heal.

It wasn't clear to me whether the armor heals before the fire/corruption rolls or not. But considering that it is armor and should be reactive, I rolled fire/corruption first. I give core rules priority over items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
These 2 items are insane. If I'm playing Sin and these show up, I will be pretty depressed.

Doomsday Blade - Gain +X dice in combat. X is the current Apocalypse level.

The Necronomicon - When taking voluntary corruption, you may take 1 wound and double the bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlock00 wrote:
These 2 items are insane. If I'm playing Sin and these show up, I will be pretty depressed.

Doomsday Blade - Gain +X dice in combat. X is the current Apocalypse level.

If that's from the Apocalypse expansion, I'd say save them for that expansion. Otherwise, they'd be way OP in any of the normal base game scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Well it happened, Doomsday Blade came out. That game was not fun for the Sin.

Heroes didn't care about apocalypse track.

Sin gains 3 levels on apocalypse track. Heroes happy. +3 dice from one card.

Bruiser 4 base dice, then voluntary-corruption@6 giving +2 dice and +3 auto hits and finally +3 dice from one equipment card. Total 9 dice +3 auto hits was sufficient to kill avatar. Heroes win quickly.

Even if Sin fluke'd surviving, the next round would have put apocalypse track at 6 for crazy equipment card bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone list out the cards from each pack. I meant to do it and forgot and now have a stack. I love the idea of holding the apocalypse cards until later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
There is a little symbol on the card indicating which expansion it belongs to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
Ireland
flag msg tools
Would replacing the duplicated cards from the core with duplicated ones from expansions work better? It keeps the same card number and "frequency" without diluting the pool as it were

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Doomsday Blade is pretty OP. Cause no other item could give you that much dice in a combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.