Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Walker
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
1) "They [action spaces with anchor symbol] may...be used by both players in a round."

There are three anchor symbol action spaces. Does that mean that two players can choose the same action space? Is that the same for action spaces without an anchor symbol?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the statement that says, "All other buildings may only be used once per round.".

2) Is whaling mandatory if you have a ship launched?

EDIT: Nevermind, it must be, otherwise a situation could arise where both players have ships with the same number of coins.

Leaving this up for clarification purposes for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
harmonicaman79 wrote:
1) "They [action spaces with anchor symbol] may...be used by both players in a round."

There are three anchor symbol action spaces. Does that mean that two players can choose the same action space? Is that the same for action spaces without an anchor symbol?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the statement that says, "All other buildings may only be used once per round.".

2) Is whaling mandatory if you have a ship launched?

EDIT: Nevermind, it must be, otherwise a situation could arise where both players have ships with the same number of coins.

Leaving this up for clarification purposes for others.

1) Yes, Anchor spaces may be used by both players. This mirrors Town Building spaces in New Bedford that can be used by multiple players.

2) Yes, whaling is mandatory if you launch a ship. This is a bit different than in New Bedford where a player may not select a whale for their ship, as per the rules there. This is an abstraction to maintain a clear lead ship for the whaling phase, as you've noted in your "nevermind". You should note that a whaling ship can select an "Empty Sea" which is not possible in New Bedford, and it costs a coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, neat game. I have a few questions, too.

1)
It happened that we both had ships with the same number of coins. As Nat confirms in another thread this is possible:
Quote:
In the unique case that you are using the Shipyard, your own ships can have the same number as each other, and you choose the order in which they catch a whale.

What does "you choose the order" mean? We played it that the player with the higher coin value in his ship goes first. Not sure if this is fair because it might only make the rich richer but I think it is good because the player with the higher coin value invested more. Alternatively I'd say the start player of this round decides who's going first.

2)
Clarification needed. The rule doesn't say anything of taking back the Captains at the end of a turn. So I assume we were playing it right that they stay where they are and thus the building used last isn't available to the first player of the new round (unless it is an anchor building)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
Hi, neat game. I have a few questions, too.

1)
It happened that we both had ships with the same number of coins. As Nat confirms in another thread this is possible:
Quote:
In the unique case that you are using the Shipyard, your own ships can have the same number as each other, and you choose the order in which they catch a whale.

What does "you choose the order" mean? We played it that the player with the higher coin value in his ship goes first. Not sure if this is fair because it might only make the rich richer but I think it is good because the player with the higher coin value invested more. Alternatively I'd say the start player of this round decides who's going first.

2)
Clarification needed. The rule doesn't say anything of taking back the Captains at the end of a turn. So I assume we were playing it right that they stay where they are and thus the building used last isn't available to the first player of the new round (unless it is an anchor building)?

Thanks!
For 1) I'm not sure I understand the question. You can never have the same number of coins on on your ship as an opponent. So there shouldn't be a choice between players. and the order will be 4,3,2,1. Example: player B has a ship with 3 coins, Player A can launch a ship with 1, 3, or 4 coins. Player A sends the ship out with 4, and chooses first.
The Shipyard lets you send out a second ship, you still can't send it out with the same number of coins as the opponent, but you might send it out with the same number of coins on your ship. Example: a round later, B's ship has only 2 coins, and A's ship has 3 coins. A could use the shipyard to send out a ship with 1, 3, or 4 coins (anything but 2). If A sends out a ship with 1 or 4 coins, normal order rules apply (4, 3, 2, 1). But if A sends out a ship with 3, A would get to choose the order for his two ships which both have 3 coins, but both would still go whaling before B's ship with only 2.

And remember that you only count the number of coins, not the value. And since you're always taking a coin off the ship after whaling, that order will be fluid throughout the game.

2) Captains should return to the players to be placed as new. That should have been clarified, as opposed to "moving" them. But leaving them where they are is an interesting variant. It would really change up how buildings work, so I might have to play around with that.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast reply, Nat.

1) My bad. I was referring to a (misinterpreted) situation using the Lighthouse. I was of the impression that I can add coin(s) to my ship regardless the number of coins my opponent has in her ship. That was my fault because I didn't read the detailed description in the rule book properly. I was just playing according the card on the table.

Quote:
And remember that you only count the number of coins, not the value. And since you're always taking a coin off the ship after whaling, that order will be fluid throughout the game.

Yes and yes. Counting values was only meant as a tie breaker. But I know now that a tie isn't possible.

2) Wow, good to know. For me as a non-native speaker the rules seem to imply that the Captains stay where they are. Both might work, I don't know. In our game one player one with a huge advantage. Let's see how it goes when we play it correct.

I really like how nice this game is given its small size. I think you can use the core mechanic for more games in a pocket series. And in another version, maybe in space or on a farm, you can build in that 'captains' stay in the board.

Will you attend Essen? Or Dice Hate Me Games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we just need a single sentence at the start of the action phase that says "pick up your workers from the last round", to make it clear. Nantucket's bigger brother, New Bedford works that way so it was always obvious in my mind.

It's funny, I always thought of it as a small version of New Bedford. so I didn't consider making more than the one game. But it would be fun to find a theme I could expand it to even more. Maybe that will be a fun project this fall.

And I think the publisher will be at Essen, but just as a guest. New Bedford likely won't be there at all this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See, I got both games but started with Nantucket. So I see it as a standalone, a game of its own. And I think as long as you come up with nicely balanced action spaces it will definitely serve as basis for a mini game series. PM me in fall. I am interested in contributing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.