BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games that work great internationally rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Black
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello, I am moving to Zambia from the U.S. at the end of next month for 11 months. I would like to bring a few board games with me while I am there. A few factors will be size, price, availability, and minimal reading involved (over 72 dialects are spoken in Zambia so I don't know everyone's English proficiency). A few I own and might bring include King of Tokyo, Sushi Go, Forbidden Island, The Resistance, Takenoko, Zombie Dice, and maybe Smash Up (I love this game but I don't know if I should bring it). Any suggestions? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash up has a hell of a lot of reading, so may not be your best option if your unsure how there english skills are.

And kind of the same with king of tokyo.

All depends really on the style of game and age of people your playing with.

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game, great game, only reading is your characters ability (and a few other cards which you can explain easily) just dont play with the crossroads cards (alot of reading there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First of all: what a great opportunity! Congratulations. May you find a lot of fellow gamers.

Regarding your request: it would be super helpful if you could add your games to your profile. Makes selecting those language independent games a lot easier whistle

Then there is the database of Bgg itself. For each game there is the attribute "Language dependence". I found it 99% of the time to be very accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice is language independent, so that would work. It's fun, quick, and light so it might work as an introductory game.

Mysterium is language independent, but teaching it may require someone who can speak English and the dialect of the other player(s). It is fun, and a good 'break the ice' game.

I hope your experiences in Zambia are memorable and enjoyable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
мąççą
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My 2 cents worth:
Coloretto
Biblios
Jamaica

All these r language dependent games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost certainly Dixit (or Dixit Odyssey, depending on how many you think you'll have playing), Splendor or Karuba.

Other candidates I'd consider are Quadropolis and anything from the Timeline family.

Whatever you choose, have a great experience and enjoy your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incan Gold would be fantastic for 4-8 players, and it comes in a very small box.

Another one that would work well is Uno.

And a standard deck of cards is always good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor

Targi

Two players only:

Patchwork

Hive Pocket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7 may not be language dependent. Or possibly Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:
Almost certainly Dixit (or Dixit Odyssey, depending on how many you think you'll have playing), Splendor or Karuba.

Just one point to make here as I end up playing in a lot of groups where we don't share a common native language. A lot of the clues in Dixit require you to understanding the nuances of a language and/or cultural references, so if the group has mixed languages proficiencies, I have not found it to work.

But, that might just be my experience.

Other recommendations that haven't been given so far is Pit because you only need to throw out numbers. I have also had good experiences with Bohnanza because it forces interaction but none of the language required to interact is that complicated. Plus, the games are easy to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.