Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this counts as a hot deal, but Scythe is up on Massdrop for $49.99 plus $8.25 shipping. Seems legit, however, Stonemaier Games is upset that it is being offered on the site. Just thought I would throw it up here, but I'm not sure how this is going to pan out. I won't be ordering, because I'm hoping to grab a collectors edition of this amazing game at some point, and this is the base game that is being offered. Interesting comments on Massdrop though...

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/scythe-preorder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scythe Pre-Order on Massdrop?
The comments from the designer/publisher are embarrassing and unprofessional to say the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampyur wrote:
The comments from the designer/publisher are embarrassing and unprofessional to say the least.

You clearly haven't seen what "embarrassing and unprofessional" can really be. He's being pretty polite and professional, and explaining his reasoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rasmussen
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
Thank you Mario...
badge
But our princess is in another Overtext box
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampyur wrote:

It was worth me signing up for massdrop just to read the drama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampyur wrote:

This seems a bit hyperbolic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Only read the last two pages, but it only seems that the approach Massdrop used when contacting Stonemaier Games gave the wrong impression about the site. Comments by the community are trying to fix this. Simple as that. Definitely not the drama I've seen for some games.

(And if anyone wants my referral code, drop me a PM!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shu-Chu Li
United States
College Park
MARYLAND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm glad people are excited for Scythe, but they should just pre-order it from a retailer, not get it from an overstock site.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb

Dear publishers: quit trying to control retail prices in the name of "protecting" retailers. Consumers resent it and so do progressive retailers. Establish whatever wholesale prices and volume discounts you want, but let the retail market do it's job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting. I agree with Jamey on this one. Sounds like they are trying to do it without his permission -- he has a max 35% discount policy for retailers and they arent honoring it.

It's likely these sorts of seller antics that drive things like the new Asmodee/FFG distribution policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stormy Waters
United States
Reminderville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
li042127054 wrote:
Quote:
I'm glad people are excited for Scythe, but they should just pre-order it from a retailer, not get it from an overstock site.

whistle

That isn't Jamey being that ignorant is it? Kinda disappointed if so.

*Edit -

Quote:
Massdrop is for liquidation and overstocks (and cheap Magic boxes, apparently).

ugh, guess it is him. Sad to see.

Quote:
I will send a free copy of Scythe to the first person who can tell me the name of the retailer (specific name/contact info) who is running this Massdrop. Contact me at stonemaiergames@gmail.com

Jamey what are you doing? Jamey stahp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went and read it. I wouldn't go so far as to say Jamey has gone off the deep end, but he does seem to not understand exactly what is going on and making himself look a bit foolish. As the conversation goes on he seems to figure things out and comes out on top.

I agree with him. He is trying to protect his game from looking like it is a cheap product and having Massdrop set "a new low" for the price of his game. This can be damaging especially for a product that isn't ever out yet. BUT I think going on Massdrop and trashing Massdrop isn't a good idea and he would be best to have contacted them directly. It seems the confusion is in the fact that he sees Massdrop as an overstock site which it isn't. It is a way for people to work together to get a deal on things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between this and the automa PnP fiasco I'm starting to wonder if he hasn't become just a bit over-protective of his games. I guess some bad has to come with all the good he brings to the board gaming world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiger Mermidon
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Jamey on this one. How would you feel if the game you work so hard, sweated blood and tears on it and mass drop does exactly this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Jamey and have never bought from MassDrop, but I do not really get the big deal here. Getting the game with shipping via Miniature market is $58.75 and without shipping (almost everyone will add another game for free shipping) it is $52.80. Getting the game from MassDrop is $58.24. All of this over a .51 cent discount over Miniature Markets highest possible price, which is also the least likely way the game will be purchased. Seems like a lot of drama for no reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WJ C
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
he seems to think Massdrop makes his game look like its overstocked and they are desperate to get rid of it and it will reflect badly on the game. But I think no one was even thinking about that, in fact, him trashing Massdrop and giving out free copies of the game to get people to rat out the distributor just makes him look so desperate, stupid, and petty. That probably did a lot more damage than having the game on Massdrop! I thought he was smarter than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruazn2 wrote:
he seems to think Massdrop makes his game look like its overstocked and they are desperate to get rid of it and it will reflect badly on the game. But I think no one was even thinking about that, in fact, him trashing Massdrop and giving out free copies of the game to get people to rat out the distributor just makes him look so desperate, stupid, and petty. That probably did a lot more damage than having the game on Massdrop! I thought he was smarter than that.

I had never heard that about MassDrop, but I am out of the loop often. I always saw people voting on the games and items they wanted, so the most popular things showed up and not the unwanted stock. So I guess my impressions of the site are much different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WJ C
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fubarbox wrote:
ruazn2 wrote:

I had never heard that about MassDrop, but I am out of the loop often. I always saw people voting on the games and items they wanted, so the most popular things showed up and not the unwanted stock. So I guess my impressions of the site are much different.

exactly, its not a place where crappy games go to be discounted 99% just so they can move the inventory. it's pretty legitimate site with many new and name brand items. Jamey doesn't make anything clear, he keeps saying how Massdrop is selling the game unauthorized, he threatened that he will not let Massdrop get any copy of the game. Then he said he doesn't like how Massdrop is discounting his game so much. Then he offered free games to anyone who can tell him where Massdrop is getting the games from! I mean, it looks sooo soo bad and desperate and petty when you do that! Maybe all the fame has gone to his head....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
This is completely off topic and should probably be a thread in a new forum, but is this guy really that famous? And has he contributed that much to boardgaming? From the comments I've seen thus far it would lead me to believe he has, but as far as I'm aware he's released exactly three games. I've only played one of them (Euphoria) and it was pretty unremarkable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Mesa wrote:
This is completely off topic and should probably be a thread in a new forum, but is this guy really that famous? And has he contributed that much to boardgaming? From the comments I've seen thus far it would lead me to believe he has, but as far as I'm aware he's released exactly three games. I've only played one of them (Euphoria) and it was pretty unremarkable.

I am personally not sure how much he has brought to the industry. I think he is mostly known for his tactics on how to run a successful Kickstarter campaign, offering really good quality components, a money back guarantee, and making a few good games. If there is more to that, I do not know and I would not want to say anything negative or overreaching about his accomplishments. But yes, as far as games he made Viticulture, Euphoria, Between two Cities, Scythe, a couple of expansions, and some KS for realistic game tokens. Viticulture and Scythe seem to be his most popular games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb
jiger wrote:
I'm with Jamey on this one. How would you feel if the game you work so hard, sweated blood and tears on it and mass drop does exactly this.
I'm sure every game developer believes their baby deserves special treatment, but whoever bought all those pre-orders paid the same price as everyone else. They should have the right to re-sell their investment as they see fit.

(I blame Asmodee for this trend. The more I hear about Asmodee's efforts to control retail channels, the less I like it. MaggiBot's comments on the Dukes of Dice podcast #102 really galvanized my opinion. She discusses the impact Asmodee has had on Card Kingdom here in Seattle. Skip to the 40 minute mark if you're interested.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
fubarbox wrote:
But yes, as far as games he made Viticulture, Euphoria, Between two Cities, Scythe, a couple of expansions, and some KS for realistic game tokens. Viticulture and Scythe seem to be his most popular games.

I've played Between Two Cities as well, which I thought was decent, but he's not listed as a designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Mesa wrote:
fubarbox wrote:
But yes, as far as games he made Viticulture, Euphoria, Between two Cities, Scythe, a couple of expansions, and some KS for realistic game tokens. Viticulture and Scythe seem to be his most popular games.

I've played Between Two Cities as well, which I thought was decent, but he's not listed as a designer.
I am pretty sure he designed or co designed most of his games, not 100% sure unless I go look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the games Jamey makes aren't for me at the moment let's not make this thread a place to trash the blokes image over a few internet comments.
We all make mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone needs a lesson on how Massdrop works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Trout
Australia
Jewells
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgamern8 wrote:
I won't be ordering, because I'm hoping to grab a collectors edition of this amazing game at some point, and this is the base game that is being offered.

Kickstarter surplus available Monday:
http://stonemaiergames.com/buy-scythe/:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.