$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Shadows of Malice» Forums » General

Subject: How complex is this game? And how long does it really take to play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hey all

Just recently found out about this game, and i want to ask those who have some experience with this game,

How complex is this game really? Will it be difficult to teach?
Any comparable examples of other games in terms of complexity?

Also, how long does the game really take?
Would a 4 player game really finish in 2 hours?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jion wrote:
Hey all

Just recently found out about this game, and i want to ask those who have some experience with this game,

Thanks!

It's not that complex but there are some small technical rules that are easy to miss if you aren't careful. I found that the game ties so well into the story mechanically that was easy to learn and teach.

It's not quite as complex as Mage Knight. It's hard to compare the complexity to anything else I have played.

It's a really long game. After you have played a few times, you maybe be able to play 4 player in 2 hours but the first game might take 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Phate999 wrote:
Jion wrote:
Hey all

Thanks!

It's not that complex but there are some small technical rules that are easy to miss if you aren't careful. I found that the game ties so well into the story mechanically that was easy to learn and teach.

It's not quite as complex as Mage Knight. It's hard to compare the complexity to anything else I have played.

It's a really long game. After you have played a few times, you maybe be able to play 4 player in 2 hours but the first game might take 4.

Thanks!

Is there a way to shorten the game length?
Like, i see some maps are 4 tiles, some are 2 tiles, would voluntarily playing with less tiles make the game play faster?

4 hours might just be too long for my group to stomach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can play with fewer platters, and it does shorten the game. I would definitely stick with two platters for your first few games.

I've played several times with only one platter and have had great games.

One of the things I appreciate most about the game is how scaleable it is, both in terms of length and difficulty. You can pretty much make it your own in a lot of different ways. I sometimes think of it as a boardgame "adventure kit." The designer actively supports this approach of making it your own, which is wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian DiLuzio
United States
Andover
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jion wrote:
4 hours might just be too long for my group to stomach

You can shorten the game by a lot if you do the modified combat roll. So the * for all weapons and abilities are rolled at the start of combat and they stay (good or bad) for that combat. It will speed things up by a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with some of the easy options too, that will shorten game length (eg giving your avatars starting equipment and/or potions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.