Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark taylor
United Kingdom
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For two similar games where there are both RPG and skirmish board gaming elements, why is only one (Boot Hill) allowed an entry on both the board game and RPG sites whilst Gangbusters one of my all time favourites is only on the RPG site?

I own both and only play them as skirtmish games using 15mm Blue Moon figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A lot of early rpgs are more like skirmish games with role-playing elements tacked on.

On the other hand, any rpg with a decent combat system can be used as a skirmish wargame with a bit of fiddling around and some actually sell a product that is just their combat system for this precise reason.

In this case it would seem that the decision has been made to class Gangbusters as an rpg. Note that 3rd edition Boot Hill is not on bgg but is on rpgg.

I always think it's better that games only appear on one site otherwise you start having to check both, see the same questions asked, see the same images, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly Boot Hill was originally designed as a miniatures rule set, which is why it is here rather than on RPGGeek and just had some rpg elements added later. Gangbusters was designed purely as a rpg but just came with a tactical map and counters to help with combat. Some of the other TSR rpgs of the time came with maps and counters so could technically could be played as just a skirmish wargame also (Star Frontiers, Indiana Jones, Buck Rogers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be that when they were entered, the categories weren't as well defined and the realignment of one or the other has not yet taken place. I guess if you can make an argument with proof that one belongs in X, then make it to whomever at BGG reads and considers such things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Angel wrote:
If I remember correctly Boot Hill was originally designed as a miniatures rule set, which is why it is here rather than on RPGGeek and just had some rpg elements added later. Gangbusters was designed purely as a rpg but just came with a tactical map and counters to help with combat. Some of the other TSR rpgs of the time came with maps and counters so could technically could be played as just a skirmish wargame also (Star Frontiers, Indiana Jones, Buck Rogers)

Not that I am aware of. I played it alot back in the day. There were no miniature rules. Some people used Gunslinger to add it in but it was a straight up role playing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
Green Angel wrote:

Not that I am aware of. I played it alot back in the day. There were no miniature rules. Some people used Gunslinger to add it in but it was a straight up role playing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
Rastak wrote:
Green Angel wrote:

I had the 2nd edition I believe. I'd have to dig it out of the attic. I honestly don't recall seeing the word miniatures anywhere. Never once used Miniatures although that would have added a whole lot.

Boot Hill

edit: I concede my memory has failed me..

I had forgotten there was any sort of map/counters.

I probably last played it about 36 years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.