Subject: Which 18XX next? (I'm an SR junkie) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Seol
South Korea
flag msg tools
mb
ryansl wrote:
I've stumbled onto 18AL three months ago. My gaming group liked it so much that we played the hell out of it: 21 plays in 6 weeks, of which I was involved in 20.

Then I found other players around the area who love 18XX. One of them had recently acquired 1862, which became his instant favorite. Played that for 4~5 games, and I like it, but don't love it as much as AL.

But 1889 was a mind blower. It was clearly a "superior" version of the lighter 18XX, and the stock market manipulation in the game works so wonderfully, while adding to the operational side of it.

1880 was like 1862, albeit a little more enjoyable, 1844 was amazingly intriguing, teaching me that chrome could be a wonderful thing.

Having played around 10 different 18XX games, I know that I enjoy 18XX games I have ever played far more than anything else. I haven't found one that I "dislike," although 1800 comes close. Which game should I go for next?

1)I like train games with suspenseful stock round, in which the players actively seek to manipulate.

2)Operation-heavy games are fun too (1880, 1862), but I seem to enjoy 1) more.

3)I'm okay with day-long games and short games alike, but 8 hours is my limit. We usually play 1862 in 2 to 3.5 hours, though; we have very fast-calculating gamers. I plan to make a thread about playing 18XX much faster once I get used to the BGG website.

4)My gaming group has 15~20 18XX players in town, but almost half of them are new to the hobby, so I'm looking for a newbie-friendly but exciting 18XX.

I currently have 18AL, 18GA, 1889, 1886, 18OE, 1849, 1880: China, 1800, 1844/54, 1848: Australia, 1865: Sardinia, 1862: Railway Mania, and 1830.

^ What I wrote an another forum until someone suggested that I also paste it here

Summary: I'm 3 months into 18XX, became a Stock Round Junkie, looking for SR intensive 18XX to feed my needs devil
(also to convert, hehe)

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingmar Hauge
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
It's cold outside. There's no kind of atmosphere. I'm all alone. More or less. Let me fly. Far away from here. Fun fun fun. In the sun sun sun...
badge
Darn, I'm Dwayne Dibbley again....
mbmbmbmbmb
Newbie friendly and stock shenanigans aren't words I'm used to mix

Then again, I'd probably not call the amounts of plays you and your group has put in newbies anymore either. 1830 (and 1889) of course have lots of what you are looking for but without having tried it, 1817 could very well be where you end up, albeit not very friendly for new players from what I've heard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually go with 1830 for new players, although as Ingmar says 1889 should work as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
None of them. Really. You could profitably play just two or three of the games you already have for several years and still be learning. 1830 alone could easily withstand another 100 plays or more. Minimally play 1830 until you see the first diesel bought somewhere in OR3.

The standard recommendation would be '17, and while it is an amazing and hugely revelatory game that I earnestly recommend any 18xx player to play at least a few score times, it has lost favour with me for its heavy requirements for single dollar accounting and detailed technical execution. The rest of the game is amazing and fascinating, but those two aspects are overwhelmingly uninteresting.

However, an answer I made to a similar recent question:

Given your other comments then, I'll recommend three games: '24, '35 and '41.

'24 arguably has the fastest and most severe train rush of any 18xx...and yet doesn't clearly fall out as a revenue, density, or capital-control game. Not an amazingly brilliant game, but solid and a bit of a sleeper; very easy to play with the trains only trundling along. A nice change of pace while sitting on the powder keg holding a lit sparkler.

'35 is a ridiculously simple and light and fast 18xx. A quiet and subtle game of thin margins. Of course it needs a variant for the broken opening (there are many; I've used either Clemen's or Todd van der Pluym's to good result). '35 can be played, start-to-finish, in 45 minutes, but is more reasonably a medium length game of 4 hours or less (it isn't very hard to make shorter but somehow a lot of people think it a 7+ hour game...and they're being unusually silly). The kicker is that it seems like it has no real hard decisions, no big events, no denouement -- and yet it is a game of skill, there are real decisions and they are notably subtle, and the better players will win every single time while seeming to have done nothing unusual or much different or even noticeable...and yet they win again and again and again. And the scores will always be close in percentage terms, and yet still they always win. Identifying those thin margins and correctly evaluating them is a significant skill that stands in good stead in many other games.

I wouldn't rush into '41, but when you do hit it, hit it hard enough and long enough that you can reasonably conceive of the 3Ts running once before they rust, and either the 4Ts rusting before they run and the 5Ts also running only once before they rust, or the other way around...and how you could set that up and how you could viably survive it. The game sure doesn't have to go that way, but that's well within the standard range of expression (do not look to Calandale's videos as a reasonable example of the game). I also suspect you're going to adore it...but build up to it. '41 takes some work to appreciate.

As a quick follow-on to the possibly surprising recommendation of 1835: I particularly appreciate 1835 as a game in which having priority and entering a stock round full of cash...the right decision is often to pass. There's a subtlety and finesse there that is absent in most 18xx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked my collection for stock-heavy games ...

1830: Variant Box #1 - two new maps and other goodies for your 1830 games. More of the same, so to say, but great!

1841 Brutal merger game

1869: USA West Long, epic, 1830-style with 15 companies.

1899 China/Korea, also based on 1830

Also, all Winsome Games 18xx would fall into this category, I guess. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, clearly Ryan, you're going to need to own them all eventually

My group strongly favors 1817. The SR can be wild, and there's another exciting round: Mergers & Acquisitions. 1817 has 2,5,&10 share companies that can be merged, acquired, liquidated, dumped, stolen, or double jump you (or your share holders) to victory. There are loans, 1/2 pays, bidding for starting locations and most infamously, shorts. Your creativity is the only limit in 1817, that is until bankruptcy where the game continues without you. 1817 is more mathy than other titles, but your group has people who can calculate quickly so you'll be fine. You'll want this one eventually, I'm sure.

1841 you can print money in this one! Well, sort off. In 1841 your companies can own shares and buy/sell them during the OR. There are mergers and shenanigans for days and days. The investor strategy, like 1880, is also viable.

1822: The Railways of Great Britain will challenge your greed and focus. Each SR, in addition to all the usual bits, has bidding for privates, minor companies and the rights to start a major company. Depending on player count, trains can disappear in a blink of an eye. So many options in 1822, it's hard to keep your eye on the prize: share value.

I'm glad you're enjoying the system and have found a great play group. Come to Chattanooga in January of you can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Seol
South Korea
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, I do love and adore the 89 and 30!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Seol
South Korea
flag msg tools
mb
clearclaw wrote:
None of them. Really. You could profitably play just two or three of the games you already have for several years and still be learning. 1830 alone could easily withstand another 100 plays or more. Minimally play 1830 until you see the first diesel bought somewhere in OR3.

I'd indeed read it before posing this
However, as a new game junkie (I like playing at least 10 new games every week), it's always in my instict to search for another 18XX that would scratch my itch.

Thank you so much, on the other hand, for the stellar recommendations. All three sound like something amazingly fun, and I regret not grabbing '24 when I had the chance last week :'(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Seol
South Korea
flag msg tools
mb
CoffeeRunner wrote:
Well, clearly Ryan, you're going to need to own them all eventually

'41 sounds like something I'd ADORE to death after two recommendations.
Thank you

And you're right, I probably do need to own them all since I have the collector's disease--only if I'm lucky enough to catch 'em all. haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with clearclaw, playing the same title repeatedly is the way to go. But in the meantime, it's fun to build your collection. We need 'em all from Pidgeys to Snorlax, amiright?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:
I agree with clearclaw, playing the same title repeatedly is the way to go.

Well, it depends on what you want ... I love variety, and I play a lot of different titles.

The drawback of that method of course is that my game play in all those games is mediocre, compared to JC who might be an expert. On the other hand, I haven't played with him yet meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Seol
South Korea
flag msg tools
mb
PzVIE wrote:
CoffeeRunner wrote:
I agree with clearclaw, playing the same title repeatedly is the way to go.

Well, it depends on what you want ... I love variety, and I play a lot of different titles.

The drawback of that method of course is that my game play in all those games is mediocre, compared to JC who might be an expert. On the other hand, I haven't played with him yet meeple

I second that!
We have a player who's played 1862 hundreds of times, and the consensus of the players who've played with him recently (40~50 of us) all agree that he is simply unbeatable.

For me, I like playing the same title repeatedly, too, but variety is something I like more, even within the great 18XXdom! Especially since we play at least a game a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan,

Why don't you move with your friends (and your 18xx collection) to Cleveland, Ohio? That would be awesome (for me). If you do, please please please let me know.

All good thoughts above so I won't add. I will only say that the journey of exploration can be just as enjoyable as the destination!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elmsley4 wrote:
Ryan,

Why don't you move with your friends (and your 18xx collection) to Cleveland, Ohio? That would be awesome (for me). If you do, please please please let me know.

All good thoughts above so I won't add. I will only say that the journey of exploration can be just as enjoyable as the destination!

They can't because they're moving to Ottawa, Canada
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Seol
South Korea
flag msg tools
mb
Hahahaha I am indeed Canadian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.