Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Arkham / Eldritch expansion similarity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tee Dius
Australia
Virgin Islands
flag msg tools
i'll preface this with stating that I know no one is forcing me to buy anything, and that I dont know that much about the lore....but.....

i have had arkham and all expansions for a while, and been expanding my eldritch game which was foresaken and base only, until recently which I've ordered all the expansions (just waiting on MOM arriving).

as i've been getting them I've been getting a growing sense of deja-vu, and a growing sense of disappointment. all the investigators and the AO in carcosa were in arkham (though not knowing if that's cause of lore limitations), and although there are some differences in the actions and new artwork, i've seen them all before.

i had been expecting new mechanics, new investigators, new AOs with expansions, and dont mind some familiar people coming back, but it'd be great to get something new too.

</rant over>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do have some new AOs, but many players (me included) want to see their favorites first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since these games are based on the writings on Lovecraft (and some of his friends) They are only so many old ones that were written about and I would hate to see FFG start making up there own, although I really think they did great with Syzygy.

I never liked most of the investigators in Arkham Horror Files games because they are not Lovecraftian style characters in the slightest bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teedius wrote:
i had been expecting new mechanics, new investigators, new AOs with expansions, and dont mind some familiar people coming back, but it'd be great to get something new too.

</rant over>

Well, FFG could not avoid putting Hastur in one of their expansions, honestly. As for new investigators they're playing to archetypes, and I can't see much advantage of having, say, a lunatik and a gypsy over a gravedigger and a dreamer. Both sets come with theme and, hopefully, game-worthy abilities. The only difference is that the first set came from a fan expansion and the second set are Arkham characters who haven't made the jump yet.

And if that doesn't convince you, there has been speculation that the new characters from one of their other game will make the jump to EH instead of (or in addition to) the remaining AH characters.

As for new mechanics... what were you hoping for? While I won't say that the game is unimprovable, It is fairly streamlined, and I would rather not see rules/feature bloat the way Arkham ended up by the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
New investigators are on the way in the Mansions of Madness 2nd edition.

You can bet they'll be showing up in EH expansions and possibly Elder Sign expansions (if FFG keeps going with that one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My main problem with the returning investigators from AH is that some of them just didn't fit the Global Setting of EH for instance Farmhand or Barmaod. FFG certainly reuse a lot of their assets across Elder Signs, Arkham and Eldritch Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.