GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,258 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Mayfair needs volunteers for Gen Con rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to save money for Gen Con and get some nice perks, Mayfair really needs people to volunteer for both the exhibit hall booth and the Mayfair event room.

Here's a quick run down of the benefits:

1. If you volunteer for at least 20 hours through the weekend, your badge will be provided for the entire weekend.

In the exhibit hall, there are two shifts. 10:00-2:00 and 2:00-6:00. If you work both shifts on a day, lunch is provided.

In the event room, there are several shifts that run from 8:00am through midnight.

It's a very flexible schedule and you can choose where you would rather volunteer.

2. $5 in booth credit for each hour worked. This credit can be used to purchase games in the booth, swag and other goodies at 50% off, or can be used to enroll in the Gamer Advocate Program (GAP).

3. Everyone else has to complete the ribbon program to get one game at 50% off. As a volunteer, all cash sales on everything are 50% off.

4. The Gamer Advocate Program requires turning in 100 booth credits to enroll for 6 months. During that 6 month period, Mayfair will ship a box of all the new releases to you. These boxes in the past have been valued at well above that $100 in booth credit.

I can say it's nice to come home from work one day and find a box of shiny new cardboard sitting on the doorstep.

More details here:

http://mayfairgames.com/pages/volunteer

If you're interested, please e-mail volunteer@mayfairgames.com as soon as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this common practice in US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's common for most conventions in general. Some conventions are larger than normal and Origins and Gen Con in the US generally have a larger presence for a lot of companies. For Gen Con, Mayfair usually has around 100 volunteers to man the demo tables in the exhibit hall and help set up games for ticketed events and other functions. For conventions like Essen, they may only need 5-10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
It's common for most conventions in general. Some conventions are larger than normal and Origins and Gen Con in the US generally have a larger presence for a lot of companies. For Gen Con, Mayfair usually has around 100 volunteers to man the demo tables in the exhibit hall and help set up games for ticketed events and other functions. For conventions like Essen, they may only need 5-10.

Ok, thanks. Just comparing to situation in Italy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Whiteley

Bennington
Nebraska
msg tools
I wish this information would have been provided about a month ago. I've joined Mayfair's website and checked the box for "Apply to be a Volunteer" but never heard anything back. Of all the companies I've attempted to work with at GenCon, Mayfair would have probably been my preferred and these terms are as good if not better than everyone else. I love Mayfair games and would like to demo new releases at my FLGS, it's a bummer now that I can't also rep them @ GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You still can, if you want. Send an e-mail to the address and talk about it. If you've already bought your badge, they may be still able to work it out to refund the badge and provide you one for the volunteer work. If it's too late to refund the badge, they may be able to work out something else, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Whiteley

Bennington
Nebraska
msg tools
Thank you but at this point it's too close to the convention and I can't get the time off work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps next year then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.