21 Posts

DOOM: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: "(...) marines can respawn after death (...)" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
el Bebok
Poland
flag msg tools
Previewed mechanics and component quality seems to bee good. It's of course too early to judge the whole product but there is a chance it will be another great FFG game.

Nevertheless there is one thing which struck me hard. Its the fragment "(...) marines can respawn after death (...)" :/ I know games arent real life but what the heck! Its so drasticaly unthematic :/ Whats the logic behid it? Are the marines zombie-cyber-magicians? or maybe cats with 9 lives?

I just cant explain it to myself in any way. (And I know it's just a small detail... BUT it looks silly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vegard Eliassen Stillerud
Norway
Drammen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
el Bebok wrote:
Previewed mechanics and component quality seems to bee good. It's of course too early to judge the whole product but there is a chance it will be another great FFG game.

Nevertheless there is one thing which struck me hard. Its the fragment "(...) marines can respawn after death (...)" :/ I know games arent real life but what the heck! Its so drasticaly unthematic :/ Whats the logic behid it? Are the marines zombie-cyber-magicians? or maybe cats with 9 lives?

I just cant explain it to myself in any way. (And I know it's just a small detail... BUT it looks silly)

I cannot think of a game mechanism that is more universally hated than player elimination. If that was the alternative, something had to be done.

Without knowing anything about this game, what about just thinking of death as a knock down or something? In these (video)games, there's always a medkit somewhere to be found anyways. This can probably be the explanation also in the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
el Bebok
Poland
flag msg tools
It'll probably end up with a house rule of descent-like knockdown ;P But I agree - there is nothing more frustrating than being dead, drinking beer alone, watching your friends still playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) it is a board game interpretation of a video game. you respawn in Doom the video game. so there is that.

2) you can always pretend that killed marines are in fact dead for good and the new marines are simply reinforcements. this is not supposed to be any kind of RPG as far as I can tell. therefore I don't think your marines are supposed to be any individual characters or heroes. after all, they are called Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta. they are blank expandable marines in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
el Bebok wrote:

It´s following the logic of the Video Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
el Bebok wrote:

I just cant explain it to myself in any way. (And I know it's just a small detail... BUT it looks silly) :P

It's based on a videogame. In the videogame, you respawn on death. That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is balanced so that you will die frequently. The number of deaths is the way the Invader wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played DOOM (2016)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
el Bebok
Poland
flag msg tools
Nope, but does the boardgame have to copy every silly circumstance? In Doom 1 & 2 pc game you also respawned after death... but with the whole level reset to starting settings Havent played Doom 3 so i dont know how where the rules there.

I know i'm trolling a little bit but it feels stupid, and more stupid is the victory of invader based on number of players deaths lol :0

Was it possible to make it differently and coherent with more "real life" feeling? absolutely yes.

It has been half a day since I red the preview and now I just wonder if I should buy this and keep sealed for selling it years later for more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
el Bebok wrote:
Nope, but does the boardgame have to copy every silly circumstance? In Doom 1 & 2 pc game you also respawned after death... but with the whole level reset to starting settings Havent played Doom 3 so i dont know how where the rules there.

I know i'm trolling a little bit but it feels stupid, and more stupid is the victory of invader based on number of players deaths lol :0

Was it possible to make it differently and coherent with more "real life" feeling? absolutely yes.

It has been half a day since I red the preview and now I just wonder if I should buy this and keep sealed for selling it years later for more

I suspect the respawn is designed to focus the game on offense vs. turtling, and does it by lessening the penalty for being over-aggressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
el Bebok
Poland
flag msg tools
rvinyard wrote:

I suspect the respawn is designed to focus the game on offense vs. turtling, and does it by lessening the penalty for being over-aggressive.

Yeah. I also think that this is the point. Well, I must wait for the release and play it somewhere before buying. Maybe then ill change my mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Silva
Mexico
Estado de Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
el Bebok wrote:
Whats the logic behid it? Are the marines zombie-cyber-magicians? or maybe cats with 9 lives?

In the rule book of the first game came the answer to your concern.

"It´s because you are in hell, and in hell you cannot die, you have to fight to the eternity."

That´s all.

To me it´s a very good and thematic logic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
el Bebok wrote:

I don't know about the new rules, but in the 2004 Doom boardgame version when you respawned it was in a random location, so many spaces away from where you died (something like that). So it's like you are coming back with a new character, not rising from the dead in the exact same place you died (just like the video game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Silva
Mexico
Estado de Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
el Bebok wrote:

I don't know about the new rules, but in the 2004 Doom boardgame version when you respawned it was in a random location, so many spaces away from where you died (something like that). So it's like you are coming back with a new character, not rising from the dead in the exact same place you died (just like the video game).

Earth_Worm_Jim wrote:
el Bebok wrote:
Whats the logic behid it? Are the marines zombie-cyber-magicians? or maybe cats with 9 lives?

In the rule book of the first game came the answer to your concern.

"It´s because you are in hell, and in hell you cannot die, you have to fight to the eternity."

That´s all.

To me it´s a very good and thematic logic.

just one post ahead

you are not another marine, you are respawning, because you are in hell, and you have to fight for the eternity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I live, I die, I live again!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
el Bebok wrote:

I think the last thing this game is trying to emulate is real life. Silly, exaggerated, fast paced carnage are pretty much in line with the spirit of the videogame.

If it was Call of Duty, maybe we needed something more realistic, but in a game which the main protagonist is the generic "the marine", respawn is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original version of this game was exactly the same in this respect. The Invader player won when he scored six kills. Marines respawned 8 to 16 spaces away on their next turn.

Player elimination is hard to do right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell, I'm just happy that the video game that gave me carpal tunnel syndrome in the 80's is getting a board game reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
el Bebok wrote:
In Doom 1 & 2 pc game you also respawned after death... but with the whole level reset to starting settings

This is actually inaccurate in a multiplayer game of Doom 1 & 2. Everything would stay the same as the dead character respawned.

Being that Doom is being treated as a multiplayer game.....

And also the last Doom game did the same thing. Respawn from 8-16 spaces away from your death. (And with how quick marines could die...you will be glad you did.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe video games and things based on them aren't for you. And that's okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.