BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How many plays is enough plays? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am accumulating a nice collection of games (~35 "good" ones, and a lot of classics that I got for free from my parents' house that I currently have space for), but I'm a super busy person - I have two jobs, and I'm in grad school (which also doesn't lead to having a lot of funds..)

I've been logging my plays since mid-May, and have played a large portion of games in my collection at least once in that time period. Most of the ones I haven't are not my favourites (some I co-bought with my roommate, and I hope she takes them), and the rest are ones I actively want to play but haven't gotten the chance to recently, but have played in 2016. For me this is...probably enough plays. I think. To the point where I am up for continuing to buy more games, but at a slow acquisition rate (ie. only really planning to pick up Quadropolis, Agricola, and my kickstarted Evolution: Climate before Christmas, if that). But ultimately, I'm wondering what people count as an acceptable play count for their collection, and what makes a game worth keeping, and a collection worth building! I'd love to hear your thoughts. (and if you think I'm okay for now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Once is fine for most, only the good ones get played more and even the best games feel played-out to me after a dozen plays or so.

Trading, selling and buying second hand will keep the cost down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to be able to give you numbers...
I also started recently to log my plays (since January), and to keep track of what my boyfriend and I are buying. I'm probably going to keep this up for a bit and see in a year or two whether to keep the games we hardly play.
For me it really depends per game what an acceptable play count is. There are games we play once a year, but I don't want to get rid off.
I'm going to follow this thread to see what other people think makes a game you hardly play worth keeping. I'm a rather nostalgic person when it comes to games, I think. We still own Labyrinth, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once a year is enough as long as the desire to play the game is still there. We are all busy and like variety, there is no shame to not being able to play every game 5 times a year, unless you're independently wealthy or don't need to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no number. Whatever feels right to you is the right number for you. That number is totally different for everyone.

My way is:
Will I buy more games? - Yes
Will I pull games from my collection? - Yes
What's the trigger? - Asking myself:
Will I ever play this again?
Does it hold sentimental value that I want to keep?
If one of these answers is yes, I keep the game.

I don't look at my plays for that and even they are not an indicator as I don't record whose copy I played on a given play. My personal Marco Polo and Orleans copies are unplayed, but I like those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm looking at it from a purely financial perspective then the base price I put on entertainment is $10 per hour (based on a movie at the cinema costing ~$20). So if a game cost $50 then I'd want it to get at least 5 hours of play time to be "worth it". Unfortunately it's not as simple as that though; for instance, you generally don't play board games alone.

For me, a lot of my excitement comes from have new board gaming experiences with my friends. So therefore I'm never going to reach a point where my collecting stops. To answer your question, I think one play is acceptable, but I also think that a collection is forever evolving. Perhaps there are some games that are phased out after a single play and are therefore only temporarily in your collection.

As to what makes a game worth keeping, the main factors for me are how much I enjoy it, how much my friends enjoy it and how much it gets played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexangiraffe wrote:
But ultimately, I'm wondering what people count as an acceptable play count for their collection, and what makes a game worth keeping...

Hey, even want to play counts.

and you're just waiting for the right opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexandra - Sounds like you are managing to play a decent number of games considering how busy you sound.

Locu wrote:
There is no number. Whatever feels right to you is the right number for you. That number is totally different for everyone.

Exactly. I can't imagine only playing a game only once unless I really hated it or I didn't have the opportunity to play it again. I'd almost always play a game at least twice in case I was wrong the first time. For someone else playing a game once might be fine.

How frequently I'll play a game I like depends on lots of factors. I've been logging plays since late Dec 2012 (so just over 3.5 years). I have one expansion I've logged over 100 plays (inc 100 in a year) and my most logged game has over 300 plays. I'd guess I'd have multiple games with over 100 logged plays at some point (Connect Four, Cribbage, Kalah all seem fairly likely candidates)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must just be a slow learner because I feel I am still learning the nuances of a game after six plays and one play is just a tutorial. I don't record plays but for Eldritch Horror I have kept a mental note of roughly how many plays and its around 30 and I still feel I am just getting started (this is with expansions). So a lot depends on the game, how fast you learn, available time etc. So for me I feel I know the game when I stop reaching for the rulebook and at this point I enjoy playing ,not learning mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stoffey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
To the Mountain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly it depends on the game. As a wargamer primarily, there are games in my collection that take weeks to learn and then weeks to play through (given the fact I can't sit down and read all the rules straight through and play the game straight through, it all has to be broken up). Odds are I'll play that full game once, twice, maybe three times in the next decade. But I certainly won't get rid of it. Ten years down the road I'll want to play it again if the first games were enjoyable.

That being said, if a game was not fun the first time I played it, I'm going to trade or sell it--no reason to keep games I know I'll never play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Alexandra - Sounds like you are managing to play a decent number of games considering how busy you sound.

Locu wrote:

Exactly. I can't imagine only playing a game only once unless I really hated it or I didn't have the opportunity to play it again. I'd almost always play a game at least twice in case I was wrong the first time. For someone else playing a game once might be fine.

How frequently I'll play a game I like depends on lots of factors. I've been logging plays since late Dec 2012 (so just over 3.5 years). I have one expansion I've logged over 100 plays (inc 100 in a year) and my most logged game has over 300 plays. I'd guess I'd have multiple games with over 100 logged plays at some point (Connect Four, Cribbage, Kalah all seem fairly likely candidates)

Yeah I play quite a bit, but it's basically the only hobby I'm giving time to right now (besides hiking every couple weeks...and lately Pokemon, woops). I've been playing at my game cafe too though which means my personal collection isn't getting as much play - but it's usually just me and my boyfriend trying the new games, which isn't always best for some of my unplayed games.

I can't imagine playing a game that many times!!! I'd love to...but time. Based on that, would you get rid of a game you only play a couple times a year?

Basically all my games (except some of the newest) have 5+ plays on them, just not logged because of when I started logging, but I hate playing the same game every time we have people over - starts to wear on me. (though, to be fair! it's games like Survive! Escape from Atlantis, that lack the substance to go through with that many replays - I'd probably be fine if it was something deeper)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
I must just be a slow learner because I feel I am still learning the nuances of a game after six plays and one play is just a tutorial. I don't record plays but for Eldritch Horror I have kept a mental note of roughly how many plays and its around 30 and I still feel I am just getting started (this is with expansions). So a lot depends on the game, how fast you learn, available time etc. So for me I feel I know the game when I stop reaching for the rulebook and at this point I enjoy playing ,not learning mechanics.

Not a slow learner - just playing games more complex than my gaming group tends to reach for. I'd love to have those, but right now I don't really have the people to play with me, so we have to stick to ones that are quicker to learn than some of the more awesome ones I want to try. Hell, I can barely get people to play Race for the Galaxy, Smash Up, and Dominion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshnh wrote:

For me, a lot of my excitement comes from have new board gaming experiences with my friends. So therefore I'm never going to reach a point where my collecting stops. To answer your question, I think one play is acceptable, but I also think that a collection is forever evolving. Perhaps there are some games that are phased out after a single play and are therefore only temporarily in your collection.

As to what makes a game worth keeping, the main factors for me are how much I enjoy it, how much my friends enjoy it and how much it gets played.

Yes - I love new experiences and the fun too. For me, I do find the deep strategy games fun, but a lot of my friends don't, so the novelty of new experiences is something I do crave and enjoy. That said, I'm playing a lot of the more complex games without them now, and it means that while they're still reaching for my easier games, they're starting to feel a bit stale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
alexangiraffe wrote:
I am accumulating a nice collection of games (~35 "good" ones, and a lot of classics that I got for free from my parents' house that I currently have space for), but I'm a super busy person - I have two jobs, and I'm in grad school (which also doesn't lead to having a lot of funds..)

I've been logging my plays since mid-May, and have played a large portion of games in my collection at least once in that time period. Most of the ones I haven't are not my favourites (some I co-bought with my roommate, and I hope she takes them), and the rest are ones I actively want to play but haven't gotten the chance to recently, but have played in 2016. For me this is...probably enough plays. I think. To the point where I am up for continuing to buy more games, but at a slow acquisition rate (ie. only really planning to pick up Quadropolis, Agricola, and my kickstarted Evolution: Climate before Christmas, if that). But ultimately, I'm wondering what people count as an acceptable play count for their collection, and what makes a game worth keeping, and a collection worth building! I'd love to hear your thoughts. (and if you think I'm okay for now)

You're overthinking this. Look at the shelf, pull down what looks good, play. The rest will take care of itself.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bacon

Sometimes, (bacon - 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Netherlands
Rijswijk
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only buy games that I expect to play at least 10 times without getting bored of them. Games I bought that don't meet this standard get sold, not necessarily because they're bad games, but because I'd rather play something else.

Furthermore, I try to make sure my collection is varied enough. If two games scratch the same itch, you're usually preferring one of them, so no need to keep both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm OK even at zero.

Pete (tries to play them all, but isn't devoted to it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather have fewer games I play more than plenty of games I barely touch. That's the goal I've been working towards in the past few years. I don't see the point in learning all the rules to something, playing it once, and then shelving it away for months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
1 play for every £3 it cost me. So far only 3 games hit the target, but plenty more are on track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I'm OK even at zero.

Pete (tries to play them all, but isn't devoted to it)

Holy cow! You own more games than my local game cafe.

I love it. that must be truly glorious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:

My way is:
Will I buy more games? - Yes
Will I pull games from my collection? - Yes
What's the trigger? - Asking myself:
Will I ever play this again?
Does it hold sentimental value that I want to keep?
If one of these answers is yes, I keep the game.

I don't look at my plays for that and even they are not an indicator as I don't record whose copy I played on a given play. My personal Marco Polo and Orleans copies are unplayed, but I like those games.

I like the sentimental and the play again criteria. I am not currently at a space issue, but I worry about amassing more games than are actually playable and worthwhile having. As for getting rid of them though, those are great.

Not sure I have any that fit the get rid of criteria, though if I was forced to I know which 5 would be the top to go (roommate likes them though - hope she takes them when we no longer live together).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
The adequate number of plays would be: as many as you feel like playing the game.

Don't feel like playing it anymore? Then don't.
Want to play it more? Well, then, do.
Interested in a new game but feel like you didn't play your other games enough? Welcome to BGG?

I don't play my games enough either and have quite a lot coming. The reason why I don't play them is because I live in a place where people are just not interested by my card games, especially since they are in English, and French people mostly suck at speaking English (no really, we do.)
So does it make sense that I get more games?
Well, really, yes. I get cooperative and solo games so I can play on my own. And I get easier to get around games so people might be more interested. Of course, there are also those games I shouldn't have bought. Oh well...
But if it was me, each one of my game would have 50+ plays. Because I want to master them, to get better at them, and because they were expensive too, so I feel bad going from one game to another without playing them a lot.

But that's just me. If you're okay with that, then proceed on buying new games. If you're not, then refrain from buying new games, and ask yourself, whether or not one of the games you already own doesn't play the same way as that new game you want. Sure, it might have a little twist, but is it worth it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
I'd rather have fewer games I play more than plenty of games I barely touch. That's the goal I've been working towards in the past few years. I don't see the point in learning all the rules to something, playing it once, and then shelving it away for months.

I can see that in your collection. I love how many high ratings you have among the games you own!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games should pass the beer* test. Have I spent more on beer that I have drunk whilst playing the game than on the game?

A reasonable proportion of my collection passes this test.

* Other drinks are available and acceptable for the purposes of this test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Daoust
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's not just about number of plays but it's also who you play it with.
There are games that I was sure would be great with my wife, my regular playing partner, and it was a total bust for both of us. Then I brought the game to a friends houses on a game night we started and it was a completely different and awesome experience.

So for me, rarely 1 play is enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.