Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Myladies, Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 24 hour contest August 2016.
The basic rules-/discussion-/subscription thread can be found here.

We still have got supporters!
Standing ovations for

Nizo
msg tools
mbmb

who offered to tip 20 for the winner of a month's contest as long as there are at least 3 submissions per month.

Also,

Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I make stuff. Visit jpeetdesigns.com
mbmbmbmbmb

as well as

United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

each offered a donation of 120 for the year 2016.
That is 10 price money from each of them per month - unconditionally!

And

Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

offered a donation of 120 for the contest, that will be used from Oktober '15 until September '16 as a prize pool of 10 each.

Last but not least, we've got a microbadge you can buy, if you want to show the world, that you participated in the 24 hour contest:

24 Hour Contest participant

Thanks to

'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for creating the badge!

For ... reasons ... I have to start August's contest early. For the same reasons, this month's requirement becomes

Wedding

Remember: The requirement is just a requirement - not necessarily a theme! It's up to you, how you involve it in your game!

Happy designing and kind regards,
Kai

p.s.:

In the behaviour rules (see link to basic rules thread above) I've written:
Quote:
Please create a second posting in that thread to present your creation.

Please do present your game along with a short description in a posting. The reason I ask you to do this is simple: Creating geeklist entries becomes easier for me because from time to time copy-n-pasting from PDFs produces unexpected results (such as copying only odd symbols into the clipboard ..)
Thanks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good choice! My brother is getting married soon... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is up early! Possibly because of your own impending marriage, Kai?

Pre-Congrats! And I hope everything goes well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...

My guess is, I won't have much time during the upcoming week, so: better early than late

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey... Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Kai!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearty Congratulations Kai!

Kind regards,
Tomlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting married in October. I definitely need to do this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Leuenberger
Switzerland
Winterthur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, finally a purpose for my honeymoon couple meeples I got for no reason from Meeplesource ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats.

This topic is hard!
I might do a wedding card instead of a wedding game.

or a game to give as a party favor at a wedding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Hook says :"I can paint for you if you need artistic help with you game"
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Hackogames"]Congrats.

This topic is hard!
I might do a wedding card instead of a wedding game.

or a game to give as a party favor at a wedding.[/]

nice idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
*Deep Breath*
Alright, I'm starting. This late may bite me in the butt though. Oh well! Gotta start sometime.

Name of the game is Wedding Party: The Desperate Struggle to Prevent Murder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys aren't going to believe it, but my power went out right as I started working on the cards. I was... not pleased. Anyway!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/azuuyeb9itn7kl9/Wedding%20Party.pd...

Wedding Party The Desperate Struggle to Prevent Murder

Ah wedding parties, so beautiful, so stressful. Alcohol, bad dancing, bitter, bitter relatives who don’t like each other, fretting mothers and irritated fathers, all gathered in a place, waiting for the ceremony to finish so they can eat, give the bride and groom their best (or a snide remark), and then go. In Wedding Party you play as one of the people setting up seating for the party, desperately attempting to avoid sending your caustic mix of relatives, friends, well-wishers and party crashers (the jerks) from killing each other before the service even begins (and if you don’t think this is quite wedding themed I should note that I’m getting married at a restaurant so bite me.)

Components:
5 Guest Table Tableaus (5 Seats each)
1 Kiddie Table Tableau (4 Seats)
1 Guest Tableau
30 Guest Cards (These are double sided, clear sleeves are recommended)
6 Child Cards
25 D6 Dice (You provide those)

Setup: Place the tableaus out, split the guest card deck in two, flip half of it over to the opposite side, then shuffle the guest cards, put three out in a row then put one of the top cards on top of the Guest. Randomly determine who the start player will be.

How to play:
Upkeep Phase: Push the people on queue to the end, then add two new cards from the Guest Cards.
Control Phase: You then flip one of the cards and swap two of the cards in queue.
Arrangement phase: Take the two people at the front of the queue and place them at empty spots at any of the tables. Resolve any text on the cards.
Rearrangement Phase: After resolving text you may move a guest to a new table. This may trigger effects, if so resolve them.
Turn End: Check all cards for ongoing affects that occur at the end of turn. Resolve any that are on the table. Your turn is now over and the next player goes.

If, at any time a card has six or more stress on it remove it from the table as they storm out in a rage. If more than three cards are removed this way the wedding is ruined and the players lose.

No art here, and limited (very limited) art in the file. Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to care at this time of night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasHornemann wrote:
Wedding Party

Love your game. You should highlight your win/loose condition in the rules :-D. Then I also wonder if it is not more fun as singleplayer than multiplayer. Unless you created different roles. Like the Bride, The party planner, The restaurant owner. Each with the same objective but different approaches.

I think i have an idea shaping in my head for this contest - I really want to keep it simple this time. Now I just have to find a day to begin :O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davis
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi, this is my first post on BGG, and my first attempt at completing a game, never mind completing it in a day.

I started forming the idea a few weeks ago when I first discovered the design contest part of the forum.
It is a card game, rummy-style, no name yet, but the premise is to assemble a reception speech using elements from three broad categories (comedy, history, romance), to get the highest scoring speech. Each player selects a character (bride, groom, best man/maid of honor, parent, sibling, family matriach/patriarch) who have slightly different goals/bonuses for how they assemble their speech.

Wasn't sure I'd find time to work on it, but saw there might not be enough entries at all, so I figured I could at least give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I started about 45 minutes ago. It's called "At a Wedding" - a classy visual scavenger hunt. It is a party favor like game that can be played at a wedding party to makes things more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to have left it rather late in the day to take a first crack at one of these competitions, but if it's all still good, I'd like to enter.

I have a rough idea of what I want to do, how well it'll pan out is another matter, but I'll give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oneshallstand wrote:
I seem to have left it rather late in the day to take a first crack at one of these competitions, but if it's all still good, I'd like to enter.

Certain people around here have a long and noble tradition of last minuteness and it often works out superbly for them, so you are in great company!

I don't think I'll manage one this month (again!) but I think I should be able to find the time next month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
oneshallstand wrote:

Certain people around here have a long and noble tradition of last minuteness and it often works out superbly for them, so you are in great company!

I don't think I'll manage one this month (again!) but I think I should be able to find the time next month.

I've got an idea for this month, but things have been so busy that I'm not sure I'll get to it. If I do it'll be last minute though... And most likely no art this time around...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a busy day ahead of me tomorrow, I've managed to put together a working package, but probably won't have time for refinements, so here it is.

http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/Dx6ImpDW/file.html
http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/9wp1HVQ8/file.html

Introduction...

Step we gaily, on we go,
Heel for heel and toe for toe,
Arm and arm and row on row,
All for Mairi's wedding.

Mairi's Wedding.

It's good news and bad news for old Jock MacLochness. The bad news is that he's been jilted at the alter by the beautiful Mairi, on account of his surly demeanour and knobbly knees. The good news is that he is now entitled to marry one of Mairi's bridesmaids instead.

In the Highland style, they'll dance a reel to the tune of Mairi's Wedding and the "lucky" lady who ends up in Jock's arms wins... I mean loses... I mean... make your own mind up. (Loses, actually)

A boardless game of whirls, wheels and reels, where players try to put each other into the losing position. Using a trick taking mechanism to decide the number of available actions and moving hex-tiles to simulate the dance.

(For the record, courtesy of Billy Connolly, the song "Mairi's Wedding" was the very first thing that came to mind after seeing the title and the notion of the dance came to mind moments later).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, it's last minute for me too... but I really wanted to do something based on Alchemy, since when I hear wedding, the first thing I think of is the Chymical Wedding all Alchemists are trying to achieve with their work...

And so, I'm starting now on: The Chymical Wedding.

We'll see how far I get!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
At A Wedding

18 cards per set
Can be played with multiple sets

PLAY
- Pick someone to be a judge. They can decide if what you see qualifies.

- Hand out cards to all the people playing, make sure it’s equal. If you have stickers, you can use stickers to mark what you can find.

-If cards aren’t going to be used again you can also use a marker to check what you can see.

-You can’t draw everything on paper.

-Person with the most points wins

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0kssq1xvb1b3rr/At%20a%20Wedding.p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davis
Canada
flag msg tools
Think I got this in just under the wire, 23.25 hours. Link to PDF file here.

www.14north.ca/a_toast_proposal_game.pdf

The game is called 'A Toast Proposal' largely due to me not managing to come up with anything before the last hour. The text of the rules is below, it hasn't been played, only vaguely attempted to balance it, so it probably has a lot of rough patches. Or, more accurately, it IS a rough patch.

Rules:

A Toast Proposal:
The game of wedding reception speeches.....And how to win at them!

The wedding day has arrived, the ceremony has gone by, now it's everybody's time to shine, and out-shine! Choose a member of the wedding party, and show the rest of them how a speech is given! Throw a wrench into their speeches, steal their thunder, be that one memorable speech that everyone talks about afterwards. Call on romantic themes, deep historic family stories, or knee-slapping jokes to win over the audience. A Toast Proposal is a rummy-style card game where you piece together speech cards, attack other, and defend your own.

Game Contents
The game includes:
1 deck of 56 cards (36 speech cards, 8 attack cards, 8 defend cards, and 4 'jokers')
6 character cards

Objectives
The goal of the game is to build a 'speech' of seven cards, by playing 'sets'. Sets can be of any arrangement, but there must be an opening set of 2 cards, a middle set of 3 cards, and a closing set of 2 cards. Sets can be played in any order. At the end of the round cards in play are counted, and cards in hand are deducted. Attack and defense cards can modify the value of cards in play. Speech cards are grouped into 3 categories, Comedy, History/Family, and Romance, each with a point value.

Playing
To start, players may choose one character card, or decide to play without them. Character cards set additional requirements for the composition of the speeches. IF they are omitted from play, the only requirement for all players is that they include at least one of each of the categories in their speech.
Character cards set additional requirements, as described on the card face.
Deal 7 cards to each player, and place the remaining deck in the middle.
Each turn, a player must draw a card to start, and discard to finish. Between these actions, they may play one set, or one other card. Once a set has been played, it cannot be picked back up unless otherwise instructed by a card. They are also now open for attack. If indicated, some defense cards may be played when the set is played. Some defense cards may be used immediately upon an attack card being played, or used later on.
The Joker cards speed up or immediately end the round.
Using attack and defense cards reduces your available cards, so you must be cautious in using them, or you might not be able to finish the round with a full speech.
The Discard pile is not shuffled if the draw pile runs out, but is turned over, leaving the earliest discards at the top.
At the end of a round, a player who 'goes out' or completes their speech, does not need to discard. All other players take a final turn to draw and play a set, but are not able to play attack cards. Players may use defense cards if unable to play a set.

Scoring
Upon completing a round, all speech cards in play are added up, and attack or defense bonuses tallied. For those with cards still in their hand, these values are deducted. Attack or defense cards are worth 2 points each from the hand, unless a point value is given (the double point value card only counts as two in the hand) to use instead.
Joker cards in the hand (Wrap-it-up, Pick up the pace, or Fire Alarm!) count as 4 points against your total.
Play a set number of rounds, or play until someone reaches 25 or 50 points.

Optional
This game can be played as a standard card game, or the improv rule may be included, where all card plays must be acted out to some extend, and each play must remain consistent with the previous events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hackogames wrote:
At A Wedding

18 cards per set
Can be played with multiple sets

PLAY
- Pick someone to be a judge. They can decide if what you see qualifies.

- Hand out cards to all the people playing, make sure it’s equal. If you have stickers, you can use stickers to mark what you can find.

-If cards aren’t going to be used again you can also use a marker to check what you can see.

-You can’t draw everything on paper.

-Person with the most points wins

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0kssq1xvb1b3rr/At%20a%20Wedding.p...

fun stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
14northdesign wrote:
Think I got this in just under the wire, 23.25 hours. Link to PDF file here.

www.14north.ca/a_toast_proposal_game.pdf

The game is called 'A Toast Proposal' largely due to me not managing to come up with anything before the last hour. The text of the rules is below, it hasn't been played, only vaguely attempted to balance it, so it probably has a lot of rough patches. Or, more accurately, it IS a rough patch.

Nice. You should have made it a live game like Old Hack Where people had to freestyle from those speeches. Or not

I was wondering how you can see what is an attack card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.