INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I've played nippon twice so I may have big insight into gameplay but:

First action which were taken were almost:

1. upd your knowledge to 2
2. buy new factory

Basically - you have to go for them, otherwise you have nothing to do (at least I had such impression )

Any other thoughts about this topic ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could purchase a machine first, which may work better depending on the color of meeples. Also, although i havent tried it you could purchase two trains/ships and "claim" two regions on the board for when you place enfluence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Geiregat
Belgium
flag msg tools
I find it often more interesting to buy a factory with the starting knowlegde, produce and try to deviler in the area where you get 2 knowledge points and then go for the more expensive factories using those points.

j41c wrote:
Also, although i havent tried it you could purchase two trains/ships and "claim" two regions on the board for when you place enfluence.

Haven't tried it either but I did encounter the situation where I placed a train or boat in an area before I had any influence there. During the game, due to certain circumstances that area wasn't interesting for me anymore.
So I consider it a big gamble placing boats and/or trains without really knowing where they will actually matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves-Marie Le Carrérès
France
Brest
flag msg tools
My last game (2 players), my first actions were :

Knowledge / Knowledge / Consolidate
Coal / Coal / Consolidate

I had a slow start but by the end of the game I had two "6 Knowledge" factories and won by a large margin (199-153).

Another possible (and efficient) start is to buy a Silk/Paper factory and a machine, then produce and sell before consolidating, or produce and do a contract to up your revenues and get more cash on your first consolidation.

There are quite a few possible starts, some are easier to manage than others but don't be afraid to try odd moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won multiple times without ever advancing knowledge. It is most assuredly not a necessary action to take. Get lots of blueprints early and focus on increasing coal income.

I find the game to offer many avenues of play and no "must" first moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:
Hello,
Basically - you have to go for them, otherwise you have nothing to do (at least I had such impression )

You start the game with some blueprints (2 if I remember correctly), so you can buy a factory without improving knowledge. In fact, I think the knowledge track is kind of weak so most games I don't improve the knowledge at all for the whole game.

I like the "Buy Silk 5K/machine +2/produce" opening sequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:
AkitaInu wrote:
Hello,

You start the game with some blueprints (2 if I remember correctly), so you can buy a factory without improving knowledge. In fact, I think the knowledge track is kind of weak so most games I don't improve the knowledge at all for the whole game.

I've checked the rules again and I see no information about starting blueprints That changes things a little Can you check that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:
junesen wrote:
AkitaInu wrote:
Hello,

I've checked the rules again and I see no information about starting blueprints That changes things a little Can you check that?

You start the game with one blueprint, not two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Geiregat
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hojyn wrote:

Interesting enough, to me this seems like a counter intuitive way to start the game since you will lose 2 multipliers and it takes 6 turns to even start somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves-Marie Le Carrérès
France
Brest
flag msg tools
eniac_g wrote:
Hojyn wrote:

Interesting enough, to me this seems like a counter intuitive way to start the game since you will lose 2 multipliers and it takes 6 turns to even start somewhere.

It is indeed a counterintuitive and rather slow start, but it gives you early access to the bigger factories and pretty much guarantees you won't have to worry about coal until the very late game (if ever).

Then again I'm not saying it's a perfect start, just that it worked that particular game. This was a bit of a gamble on my part but I was quite surprised by how much I dominated the late game.

Losing two multipliers is really not a big deal as multipliers are definitely not the main source for VPs. Also, I'd rather have only two or three 4x or 5x multipliers than many 2x or 3x, meaning I can afford to "lose" some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hojyn wrote:
eniac_g wrote:
Hojyn wrote:

It is indeed a counterintuitive and rather slow start, but it gives you early access to the bigger factories and pretty much guarantees you won't have to worry about coal until the very late game (if ever).

You also lose out on the consolidation bonus, twice. How much are you bumping knowledge and coal each time? If you spend $6k to bump up knowledge +3 twice, and have two different colors of workers (most likely since you aren't waiting for a worker refill) you'll have only $6k to spend next round. That makes your coal bumps only +2 each time. Or are you doing the reverse, +4 knowledge and +6 coal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying a factory on the first round is surely one of the main things to do, but there are other ways to start as well.

Sometimes I opt to go for higher factories from the start, so I just upgrade knowledge and buy a factory upgrade or train/ship in first round, still managing to get a consolidation bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.