Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the many previous basic questions but please indulge me one more clarification as I think I finally get the hang of this game.

When warships are moved onto a hex with a pirate whether by moving or having the Intercept Most Notorious Pirate card drawn, the first step is to see if they intercept. That procedure is pretty clear in Rule 8.51. However, regardless of the outcome, is the warship's identity revealed?

So, now let's say that there is an intercept. It took me awhile, but I finally found and realized (maybe assumed) that the combat described under the KC rule set (13.6) also applied to warships (correct?). Again, that procedure is fairly clear except one thing that I could not find. Does anything happen to the warship if the Pirate wins the attack? It seems to me from the rules that the warship just stays there and the pirate can move the next turn. Would a Pirate ever voluntarily attack a warship then if it can't actually eliminate it? But what happens if the warship would draw to move before the Pirate? Is that just one of the dangers of being a pirate that you can never really escape the warship?

Thanks again!

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I remember,
Warships never take damage, can't be eliminated, they can only be escaped from. If another event occurs before you can escape, it will attack again, with no loss of strength.

They're some nasty b*stards, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom in Toronto
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1: yes the warships is flipped over when attempting to intercept (6.34 - "only he may check the warship's nationality unless he intercepts with it").
Even if this was not the case, a loophole is if the warship moved to intercept you, you can accuse the mover of exceeding the allowable movement points and force them to flip it to prove they didn't. hey, you're going to get intercepted anyway!

Q2: warships never suffer damage in combat (14.1).
Sadly yes, this means if a pirate 'wins' combat, all he gets to do is run away. If the same warship subsequently re-intercepts, it won't be damaged, so you better run far and fast.

You can't choose to be intercepted by a warship/KC, you must lose the intercept die roll (this was in the errata) although I suppose you could use cunning to try to get a worse roll

Unlike KCs, you can't sink a warship, so no point in trying.

We did play a house rule for awhile that if a warship took enough damage in an individual battle to be sunk, it was removed from the board, but still never maintained any damage between battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll point out another difference between warships and KCs that's easily overlooked: KCs can only try to intercept a pirate if they start their turn in the same hex; warships can move into a pirate's hex and then try to intercept in the same turn.

I believe this is to give warships more chances at interception. KCs have more turns (anytime their owner takes a KC operation); warships only get a turn if one of their cards is drawn and opposing players will send a warship in different directions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.