Subject: Legend 5: How the heck do you beat this with 2?!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
9 tries, 9 losses. Various combinations of wizard, warrior, and dwarf. The first few, I had misunderstood how the dragon battle worked -- but I doubt it would've been close even if I did have it right! I almost always run out of time: cannot clear the castle without hitting the N token (damn farmers!!). If I do clear the castle, the board is pretty empty and the extra farmers aren't required. But I needed the kills to get the gold to pump my strength ... SO FRUSTRATING!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It just so happens I was trying this same thing recently, with low success. But, there is hope.

I randomly picked Fenn and Bragor. But, I certainly don't think they are optimal.

The dragon is strength 30, and I did the math before I found threads here about what he is likely to roll. 45% he rolls a 12, and about 25% he rolls a 20. So, realistically, you need to bring about 45-50 total strength to the final battle.

If you max out the strength of the 2 heroes, that is 24. Then have Prince Thorald and the Dwarves, for 8 more. If Prince Thorald is gone, hopefully he lured the dragon to the tower, for +2. The runestones are a must for your weaker rolling hero, for about 10 more. So, that is 42, plus one heroes roll who could use a helmet (but only if its the Warrior, otherwise just buying strength is better) and/or Witch's potion and/or herbs. So, doable.

I think you need both heroes to clear out the castle, since the bad guys are rolling black dice, which means both need bows if they don't have them. With that strategy, and giving up on the 2 farthest away farmers, you can clear the castle with enough time to do all the rest, but just barely. Make sure to calculate how many monsters will get to the castle, and only clear what is necessary. If you can, beat Skralls or Trolls (who don't roll black dice, btw) to get more money for strength.

Ill keep trying, and report back if I am successful.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never been successful with Legend 5, even with four players. It's very challenging. Since it was the last legend, I just decided to stop, and play other games. Maybe I'll try again in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Macfarland

Arnold
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably you've already seen this, but here's an earlier thread with a discussion of how to win Legend 5. The link also includes earlier links on the same subject.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1359550/lelgend-5

I've lost Legend 5 several times and won only once, and then narrowly. As with all legends, don't kill too many monsters because it causes you to run out of time; kill barely enough to keep the castle free. In many legends, we would kill the gors, avoid higher strength monsters, and focus on completing the relevant mission. With this legend, we reversed this practice: we let the gors go as often as possible, took on strong monsters in order to gain higher rewards, i.e., gold, and used it all on strength points: no witches brew, etc. And we got a little bit lucky.

Legends of Andor: Journey to the North has similar harrowing challenges. For a while I skipped Legend 5, played some scenarios in Journey to the North. This cleared the head a little.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Macfarland

Arnold
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, if you are only two players, you could play with four heroes, just to vary the conditions. (We lost playing with two, and won playing with four.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmac wrote:
Of course, if you are only two players, you could play with four heroes, just to vary the conditions. (We lost playing with two, and won playing with four.)

It took me 10+ tries before I could win this, but in the end I managed to kill the beast three times now. (Mind you, that could very well be 3 out of 30).

All three times It was done with just 2 heroes though. I never killed it with more than two. Then again, you need a touch of luck with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this legend twice, and won on the second try, which is possibly why I haven't been back to it yet.

I've played through the entire game using the warrior and the mage, so it's certainly possible.

Remember that it's not about keeping monsters out of the castle, so much as deciding which monsters you don't have to kill. There's room in the castle.

If you can't get farmers to the castle, at least try to get them out of the way, if feasible. Then you might be able to get them to the castle later.

Get all the allies you can on the dragon.

Hope the dragon doesn't RNG you to death in the final battle.

Again, the core strategy is the same. Control the flow of monsters, while trying to build up enough dice and luck mitigation to take on the BS dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played it once with two heroes and manage to beat it on the first try.
Using Warrior and Mage. Give runes and a bow to mage and a helmet + a potion to the warrior. Hopefully the helmet kicks in for a lot of damage so the potion is for backup when the helm is not working well.
Get the dragon next to the tower using the prince, didn't have time to attack it before it attacked him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all! I guess I forgot about the troll ... I've been rolling 2 black dice for them! No wonder hey we're so tough! With the right rule, it should be easier to kill them and accumulate gold to buy more strength!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boomtron wrote:
It just so happens I was trying this same thing recently, with low success. But, there is hope.

I randomly picked Fenn and Bragor. But, I certainly don't think they are optimal.

The dragon is strength 30, and I did the math before I found threads here about what he is likely to roll. 45% he rolls a 12, and about 25% he rolls a 20. So, realistically, you need to bring about 45-50 total strength to the final battle.

If you max out the strength of the 2 heroes, that is 24. Then have Prince Thorald and the Dwarves, for 8 more. If Prince Thorald is gone, hopefully he lured the dragon to the tower, for +2. The runestones are a must for your weaker rolling hero, for about 10 more. So, that is 42, plus one heroes roll who could use a helmet (but only if its the Warrior, otherwise just buying strength is better) and/or Witch's potion and/or herbs. So, doable.

I think you need both heroes to clear out the castle, since the bad guys are rolling black dice, which means both need bows if they don't have them. With that strategy, and giving up on the 2 farthest away farmers, you can clear the castle with enough time to do all the rest, but just barely. Make sure to calculate how many monsters will get to the castle, and only clear what is necessary. If you can, beat Skralls or Trolls (who don't roll black dice, btw) to get more money for strength.

Ill keep trying, and report back if I am successful.
Good luck!

Yeah, I hadn't been able to reliably kill enough fast enough to pump both my guys to max strength. Fixing my troll rules error should help. I also had games where the wrong bridge would be closed, making travel to get the dwarves and/or reach dragon were very difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmac wrote:

I prefer playing my co-op games solo, so it'll just be 2 characters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malama wrote:
I have only played it once with two heroes and manage to beat it on the first try.
Using Warrior and Mage. Give runes and a bow to mage and a helmet + a potion to the warrior. Hopefully the helmet kicks in for a lot of damage so the potion is for backup when the helm is not working well.
Get the dragon next to the tower using the prince, didn't have time to attack it before it attacked him.

I did get pretty unlucky in a game or two, repeatedly rolling doubles for the monsters and not for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's the update with me FINALLY playing with the correct rules!

YAY, I won! It still took me 3 tries (warrior, wizard) but:
#1: very close; got pretty unlucky and had a LOT of gor in the castle in a way that seemed unavoidable.
#2: I had too many of everything in the castle! I aborted around letter J since killing them all would have pushed me past N (didn't have gems or poison)
#3: SUCCESS!! Of course, it did happen on the last hour of the last day, and depended on getting some lucky rolls (I was pumped to 13 and 14 strength but had neither dwarves nor the Prince). And having only a few monsters in the castle early certainly helped, too. Wow, this is tough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Macfarland

Arnold
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Winning on the "last hour of the last day,"... that's what this game is all about. Bravo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
We enjoy not moving the white narrator when we kill a monster in the castle. That has helped us win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.