Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game for me ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
danutzek danutzek
Romania
flag msg tools
Hello !

I haven`t played any of the D&D series so far,but I intend to change that.
Your experience and recomandations about these games will be much apreciated by me.
Even if I am new to boardgaming I really enjoy the feeling when I have to do hard work to win a game,so the games I like more are those who challenges you to do the best you can,fighting and hoping you will succeed.
This is the reason I find (very probably that I`m wrong) the D&D system to be to easy for my taste. You simply move,reveal a new tile,a monster will appear,roll a die to fight and move to another tile.
So,the big question: is this game for me,regarding my wishes above?

Thank you !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this boardgame series is easy - rules wise. Therefore, your description (move, reveal, fight & loot) captures the essence.

Nevertheless, you need to make decisions within your group - where to go, how fast to go, which monsters to ignore, which traps to avoid or deactivate and so on. The game is a very welcome visitor on our table.

However, if you want more and wider decisions in your coop game, there are others around that might cater to your needs. Not with a D&D theme though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danutzek danutzek
Romania
flag msg tools
Ohh.. I forgot to tell you: I play most of my games solo. Are theese games fun with more people or playing solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
danutzek wrote:
Ohh.. I forgot to tell you: I play most of my games solo. Are theese games fun with more people or playing solo?

Can't answer that, as I never play solo, but I guess that wouldn't be a problem. 56.1% of the voters here on the Geek recommend it for solo play. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmbmbmb
These games are tough, Pick up and play games. The rules are easy to learn and play, but the game is tough and unrelenting. Each game does indeed take about an hour to play. I enjoy it.

It's tough to be totally solo. Meaning, simply playing ONE character, unless it's a specifically solo scenario, is tough to survive. However, most people that play it solo seem to play two or three characters (it's not hard to do. I think two is fine for me - three is my limit.) So you would get enjoyment out of it solo.

And there are plenty of fan-made stuff for these games, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon Shaffer
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a solo gamer 90% of the time. I have all 4 of them with some of the Dungeon Command games to throw into the mix if I feel like a rough fight, and they play really well solo. I really enjoy them,for me I got into this because of the lack of D&D players in my area,and the games kind of give me something of the experience of a dungeon crawl. it would be advantageous if you could find a group or a fellow gamer that has a set and give it a go.
it's not a brain burner but a nice quick game to play and you gain a nice amount of "Minis" to use for other games like Song of Blades and heroes etc. my favorite game for solo play is Mage Knight - but it's not a dungeon crawl type of game- more of a tactical game or strategy type of game. anyway, I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danutzek wrote:

The control freak in me prefers to play it solo, because then I can coordinate more efficiently with the "other" players
With others you never know, sometimes it is fun, sometimes people complain that this is too this and not enough that.
A definitive recommendation on solo play from me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
badge
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:

It's tough to be totally solo. Meaning, simply playing ONE character, unless it's a specifically solo scenario, is tough to survive.

Unless you play as Drizzt himself. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danutzek danutzek
Romania
flag msg tools
Thank you guys for your support ! I shall take them into consideration !

BGG is such a good place to be !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Lhowser wrote:

It's tough to be totally solo. Meaning, simply playing ONE character, unless it's a specifically solo scenario, is tough to survive.

Unless you play as Drizzt himself. cool

Well, we can't all be SUPER UBER AWESOME WITH DUAL SWORDS AND A FRICKIN' PANTHER!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Curry
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found these games and then got into board gaming (more of a wargame guy) from my brother from out shared interest in the Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale games.

I found this game to be easy for casual fans and fun enough for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.