Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Everybody's Doing It... So I Better Hop on the Scythe Review Train Too :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few disappointing experiences with buying the buzz, I promised myself I wouldn't get caught up in the hype again. It was a promise I (obviously)couldn't keep and I eventually caved and pre-ordered Scythe. (I held out months though... so I'm really proud of that!)

Does it live up to the hype? Yes - well at least for me. This is a really good, sleek game.

I actually wanted to get a few more plays before writing this review, but I'm off for vacation tonight (in less than 24 hours I'll be hiking instead of sitting sedentary at my desk), and wont be able to experience Scythe Take 2 for a couple more weeks. Thus, I present you with my "first impressions" quick review of Scythe.

Rules:
Not going to go into the rules at all here. Other reviewers have done this really well elsewhere. Rules seem simple enough to get started with a learning game fairly quickly. Take a top row action, a bottom row action, or a top row and bottom row action.

However, the first few moves, we all sat around scratching our heads, trying to figure out what to do (and why). At some point, things just sorta fell into place in our heads.

Interestingly enough, my father got extremely frustrated with this game and walked out halfway through, just as things started to pick up. This is a first. He enjoyed Terra Mystica and even suffered all the way through our very first, ultra-long learning game of Dominant Species, massacring us all in the final accounting.

Evidently, my rule explanation of Scythe leaves much to be desired.

The Components
The components are wonderful. Everything is extremely high quality: The player mats are a nice hefty cardboard, the cutout concept for your pieces is awesome. I love, love, love the art.

I wish more publishers would add plastic baggies and storage trays to their games. Thanks you Jamie!

Time to play
Our first game took ~2.5 hours, but I think we can easily get this down to 1.5 after a few plays (at least maybe with my other gaming group_. Once things began to click, people began making moves fairly quickly.

Complexity
Actions may be simple once you know what is going on, but there is a lot of depth in this game. I would classify this as streamlined play, with good deep decisions to be had for all.

I love games with asymmetric factions. Obviously, with only one play, I can't really comment on strategy or replayability quite yet, but I suspect that this game will give us all (well... maybe not my dad) a lot of fun in future plays for many games to come.

Combat
We didn't see that many battles our first game. I like the fact that the attacker has to balance potentially losing popularity with benefits of attacking. I didn't feel that combat was a huge focus (but didn't go in expecting it to be). Will update my thoughts here as I get more experience with it.

Players
We played with 4 at first... and after my dad left 3 (we just wiped all his stuff from the board). Was great (to me at least) at both counts. I look forward to trying this again at 2, 3 and 4 (for FULL games this time).

Overall
I really like this game. It's a really well designed package from top to bottom (gameplay, components, storage... you name it - a lot of love and thought obviously went into all of it).

I rate this an 8.5... for now, but will adjust up or down with future plays.

Final verdict? Can't wait to play again (and may it be soon)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was so frustrating for your dad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:

To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure. He has definitely played heavier games in the past. We try to play every Friday (and I think my explanation of Dominant Species was much worse - as I was doing one of those dreadful read from rule book on the spot and teach that day). With Scythe, I read the rules a few times in advance, so I think that my explanation was better. The other two players (mom and my husband) enjoyed the game and had no trouble with the rules.

As for my dad: He just couldn't wrap his head around what to do or why he actually wanted to do any of those things. I don't know if it was the game, or if he really wanted to watch whatever he was watching on Netflix, but he gave it an hour, it didn't click and he took off. Perhaps he wanted a clearer path as to what his winning strategy should be? I will have to ask him again what he didn't particularly like about it (and see if he's at all willing to give it a second chance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad thought there were too many rules in Army of Frogs.

I can't imagine how many strokes he'd have in a game like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajsoares wrote:
ayejae wrote:

To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure. He has definitely played heavier games in the past. We try to play every Friday (and I think my explanation of Dominant Species was much worse - as I was doing one of those dreadful read from rule book on the spot and teach that day). With Scythe, I read the rules a few times in advance, so I think that my explanation was better. The other two players (mom and my husband) enjoyed the game and had no trouble with the rules.

As for my dad: He just couldn't wrap his head around what to do or why he actually wanted to do any of those things. I don't know if it was the game, or if he really wanted to watch whatever he was watching on Netflix, but he gave it an hour, it didn't click and he took off. Perhaps he wanted a clearer path as to what his winning strategy should be? I will have to ask him again what he didn't particularly like about it (and see if he's at all willing to give it a second chance).

That's intriguing. I know for some in my group, the mechanics of the game was easy enough to learn, but the path to victory has been much more difficult to "see" in their minds. It definitely takes a couple plays before things start clicking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
ajsoares wrote:
ayejae wrote:

That's intriguing. I know for some in my group, the mechanics of the game was easy enough to learn, but the path to victory has been much more difficult to "see" in their minds. It definitely takes a couple plays before things start clicking.

I think that may be it. He can be pretty competitive, so he likes to know that his moves are bringing him closer to winning. I think with other games he's liked, the rules may have been more complex, but the objective/strategy to score points was more defined. Also, no stars were placed before he left. Once the first star was placed, it was like a waterfall effect.

My husband ended up willing the first game, but no one came close to the average $75 in money our first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first play of Scythe was with my daughter, last weekend. I decided that my ability to teach the game wasn't as good as Rodney's, so we viewed the "Watch It Played" explanation.

After about three turns, my daughter was no longer thinking about the mechanics. She was instead focused on strategy. That was a lot quicker than I expected, and she kicked my butt.

I recommend that, if you are concerned about your ability to demonstrate how to play "Scythe", let Rodney do the heavy lifting. Thanks, Rodney!!

P.S., I was not given a review copy of the game, nor did I receive a plate of Canadian bacon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.