Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Speculation: Final Big Box Thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey everyone-

I'm pretty new to IA (started in March) but I've gotten the full collection now, and am eagerly anticipating what the next big box expansion will be. I've done a little bit of looking around on FFG's site, and it looks like the previous big box waves (core and Hoth) were both announced in early to mid August- that means we could know what's coming next as early as Monday!

So, I guess I'd view this as just a final place to discuss what we think is coming, and when we think it'll be announced. Hope to hear from FFG soon!

Personally, I'd like to see a Rogue One style campaign, but one that could still reasonably integrate pretty well with the existing content. Looks like we're getting some pretty cool new troopers in the movie, and I wouldn't mind adding them to my collection. Also, Rogue One looks like it has some beach fights- perhaps the new expansion could have panels made almost entirely made of "difficult terrain" water sections, which could significantly slow down heroes. If so, it might be interesting to have an Imperial skiff as the box's vehicle with spots for 3-4 troopers to stand, allowing a few troops to be "carried" across the difficult terrain with ease.

We could also get some Death Star interior panels this way, too. Would be pretty cool!

Anyway,do you guys think we'll hear about it in the next week or two? What do you expect from the next big box expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's GenCon next week...August 4-7

This is the largest tabletop convention globally and most publishers have their big announcements and releases there. FFG is no exception, with Return to Hoth etc all announced at last year's GenCon.

We will 99% see Imperial Assault announcements next week during GenCon.

It could be Jabba's Palace, Endor, Rebels or Rogue One.

If there's no announcement that could be an indication that the next Wave/box is Rogue One themed and FFG have been told to keep it quite for the sake of the Movie's marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what we will get but personally I'd like an Endor campaign with ewok heroes.
That would be the icing on the cake for my son who loves ewoks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I want to see Yoda, the emperor, 4-LOM and Zuckuss. A Jabba palace / Coruscant box would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Henry
United Kingdom
Wellington
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I think FFG will probably talk about it at their press briefing at GenCon.

My heart yearns for something set during Rebels with an Ahsoka ally pack. My mind says it will probably be something around Jabba's palace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, of course- it would make sense at Gencon.

Endor would be cool, but I just don't really see it being different enough to bring a whole lot of new value to the game. We already have forest tiles, and there aren't a ton of new troop types that it could really bring to the table- speeder bikes would be cool, and scout troopers (assuming the machine gunner from the base game isn't the only scout trooper we'll get).

Other than its obvious prominence in the ROTJ, what about Endor appeals to people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm thinking it will be an return of the jedi type expansion. The core box and twin shadows seem to somewhat resemble episode 4. Return to hoth and bespin gambit seem to resemble episode 5. So I'm thinking the next big box and small box expansion would somewhat resemble episode 6. That is just my take on it. A rogue one expansion or new core set would come in my opinion after the movie is released. So that is my prediction for IA and only time will tell what will be anounced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping for Endor, as I don't really care about any of the new Disney material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Could be big box Endor:

- 3 Rebel Heroes
- Scout Troopers
- Ewoks
- Speeder Bikes
- ???

Associated figure packs:

- Emperor
- Yoda
- 4 LOM and Zuckuss

That would leave small box Jabba's Palace:

- 2 Rebel Heroes
- Gamorrean Guards
- Rancor?

Associated figure packs:

- ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love a Rancor mini. Jabba's palace and sail barge would be cool. I would also guess they'd put out a Jedi Luke figure. Maybe a campaign working with the Bothan spies that steal the second Death Star plans? Palpatine would be cool, but I have no idea how they'd work him into the campaign story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts:

I don't think we'll get generic Ewoks in the box. Ewoks would be rebel-aligned and we've never had ally minis in a big or small box. My guess is either generic Ewoks or a named Ewok like Wicket, in an ally pack. Or, they could be companions.

A Rancor would be a big figure with a size 4 or 6 base. I doubt it would be in a small expansion.

Gamorreans, Speeder bikes, and Scout Troopers are plausible.

As for terrain, it could be that a new expansion simply expands on the terrain types that we already have, i.e. forest and desert. If we disregard ROTJ, what other terrain types could there be? Swamp? Mountains? Open plains?

With the exception of Habitat, the terrain type has very little influence on the game as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always the chance of a 'generic' ewok hero character. I do expect a wicket ally though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
jonboyjon wrote:
Could be big box Endor:

That would leave small box Jabba's Palace:

That would be my guess too. Big box Endor/Death Star, and mini campaign Jabba's palace.
The only doubt I have about that is we already have a forest setting from the core box and a mini campaign on Tatooine. So maybe they would want to do something different just to provide new types of tiles?

I quite enjoy they keep the story tied around the movie events but I don't mind if FFG just start coming up with their own stories in a post ROTJ setting. But I suspect after a ROTJ campaign they will go for an R1 related campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Locu wrote:
There's always the chance of a 'generic' ewok hero character. I do expect a wicket ally though.

I want a hang gliding ewok!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Following the pattern they've currently established, it would be 1st half of RotJ, i.e. Jabba. Released so far:

- Core Box: A New Hope emphasis
- Small Box: between Eps4 and Eps5
- Big Box: Empire Strikes Back emphasis
- Small Box: between Eps5 and Eps6

Following that pattern, the next expansion would be RotJ emphasis, mainly the first half. Return To Hoth emphasized the first half while The Bespin Gambit emphasized the second half. I fully expect the next two expansions to follow that pattern (i.e. big box be a Jabba expansion, small box be an Endor expansion).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've mentioned this before, but if we get a Jabba expansion and an Endor expansion, I think they'd go the other way around, with Jabba as the large expansion. Also, I think it might switch some of the scum and Imperial traits- for instance, rather than a big Imperial vehicle and two medium scum creatures, perhaps a big scum creature and 2 medium Imp vehicles. After all, we're not as likely to see scum very much with Endor.

Might look something like this-

Big box- Jabba and Scum
Rancor as "big figure"
2 speeder bikes
Gamorrean Guards
Flametroopers
3 Heroes (would be cool to have them all be species from the cantina)
Terrain based on Jabba's Palace interior, Sullust, Mustafar, Ord Mantell

Ally Packs-
Jedi Luke
Rebel Heavy Troopers

Villain Packs-
4 Lom
Zuckuss
Hitmen (Cad Bane inspired duros bounty hunters)

Small Box- Endor
Imperial Engineers
Security Turrets (Stationary units)
2 Heroes (I'd also love an ewok hero)
Terrain based on Endor, shield bunker, Death Star interior

Ally Packs-
Bothan Agents
Wicket

Villain Packs-
Palpatine
Scout Trooper Snipers

Though I'd still prefer the Rogue One pack. Sorry for all the speculation, I'm just excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping the inevitable Rebels box comes after Season 3, because I want Dark Troopers!

As everyone said, the most likely candidates are Jabba's Palace and Endor. If Endor ends up being the big box, I think they will combine it with DSII because aside from speeder bikes and maybe scout troopers, what else is there?

A Jabba box would have plenty of variety in various scummy figures and the obvious Rancor, so it seems a bit more likely as the big box. I would love to see 4-LOM and Zuckuss too.

They could always go with a Rogue One or TFA box to capitalize on the hype, but that seems less likely. Honestly I don't think the TFA era is fleshed out well enough to support a whole campaign yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Following the pattern they've currently established, it would be 1st half of RotJ, i.e. Jabba. Released so far:

- Core Box: A New Hope emphasis between Eps4 and Eps5
- Big Box: Empire Strikes Back emphasis between Eps5 and Eps6

FTFY. And given this, then you're reckoning that the next big box would be post episode 6, but given that the Empire has been dealt it's death blow by then, how interesting would it really be?

Given that Wave 7 includes two characters that perished in Episode 4 and one from Rebels, plus Rogue One coming out for the holidays, we should expect something set prior to Episode 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
shnar wrote:

- Core Box: A New Hope emphasis between Eps4 and Eps5
- Big Box: Empire Strikes Back emphasis between Eps5 and Eps6

FTFY. And given this, then you're reckoning that the next big box would be post episode 6, but given that the Empire has been dealt it's death blow by then, how interesting would it really be?

Given that Wave 7 includes two characters that perished in Episode 4 and one from Rebels, plus Rogue One coming out for the holidays, we should expect something set prior to Episode 4.

That's a good point- unless we're getting even stuff between TESB and ROTJ, or they're somehow doing a campaign that directly ties in to the events of ROTJ, the current trajectory would put us more in line with post Emperor timelines, and that's not currently well documented after the Expanded Universe was made uncannon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm expecting Jabba's Palace (Rancor) for the Big Box with Endor for the follow up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think that a Endor-themed box is the safest bet.

I want me some Ewok minis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, it looks like FFG's announcement panel is tomorrow, so I bet we'll find out then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.