Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Star Trek Panic» Forums » General

Subject: Errors vs TOS (The ONLY Series) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watching the videos I saw one glaring error and one 'they could've made a better decision' in this game:

1) Klingon ships DO NOT HAVE cloaking devices in TOS! That was purely from a stupid idea for TNG and its ridiculously deviated timeline follow-on shows.

2) Yes, the Romulans did use Klingon ships in the TOS, but that's only because the ship used in the 1st season episode, Balance of Power [one of the all-time best episodes of all ST], was broken/lost/whatever so they had to use Klingon ships instead for later episodes.

Why, oh why, can't people do thorough research - and have it reviewed - before publishing a game? I will have to see a copy and review every component before even considering purchasing this one.

Yes, I am a purist, and inflexible and unreasonable wrt The ONLY Series. Stick me in the brig if you don't like it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a terrifically fun game this is in spite of the make-believe reality bending make-believe.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Calling all Spielfrieks! It's time to vote for the Meeples Choice Awards at the Yahoo User Group!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdcarlson wrote:
Yes, I am a purist, and inflexible and unreasonable wrt The ONLY Series.

Ya think?

Quote:
Stick me in the brig if you don't like it.

Nah, we'll just slap a red shirt on you!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe you went there ... the red shirt.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdcarlson wrote:
1) Klingon ships DO NOT HAVE cloaking devices in TOS! That was purely from a stupid idea for TNG and its ridiculously deviated timeline follow-on shows.


The only Klingon ships that have cloaking devices in the game are the Klingon Birds of Prey which had did have cloaking devices in the TOS movies.

If your TOS purity excludes the movies too, you should be even more upset because Klingon BoPs don't show up in the series.



pdcarlson wrote:
2) Yes, the Romulans did use Klingon ships in the TOS, but that's only because the ship used in the 1st season episode, Balance of Power [one of the all-time best episodes of all ST], was broken/lost/whatever so they had to use Klingon ships instead for later episodes.


That's the real-world production reason, but canonically the Romulans did use the Klingon D7 battle cruisers as well. Why shouldn't the game reflect this?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
pdcarlson wrote:
Stick me in the brig if you don't like it.

Nah, we'll just slap a red shirt on you!


+1

I like the other Star Trek shows a lot. TOS is probably my least favourite of all the shows. Despite that, I really want this game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdcarlson wrote:
Yes, I am a purist, and inflexible and unreasonable wrt The ONLY Series. Stick me in the brig if you don't like it.


If picking at this from a 'series purist' angle - why be okay with the Enterprise getting attacked by Romulan, Klingon, and Tholian ships...at the same time!

Not just once, either, but literally every mission!

(Nevermind how many of those ships end up being destroyed by the Enterprise at the end of its 5-year mission...)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
I like the other Star Trek shows a lot. TOS is probably my least favourite of all the shows.


We forgive you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Being an engineer, I like the red shirts!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, forgot about the films... I do consider them part of the TOS canon.

And, yes, they did use the D7s in later episodes, but visually, it would be nicer looking if they had some variety in the game pieces by using the warbird / war eagle image instead.

I'll still probably get a copy, just because it's ST. This was just my first rxn to seeing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
pdcarlson wrote:
Yes, I am a purist, and inflexible and unreasonable wrt The ONLY Series. Stick me in the brig if you don't like it.


If picking at this from a 'series purist' angle - why be okay with the Enterprise getting attacked by Romulan, Klingon, and Tholian ships...at the same time!

Not just once, either, but literally every mission!

(Nevermind how many of those ships end up being destroyed by the Enterprise at the end of its 5-year mission...)


Add to that the Tholians only showed up in one episode throughout the entirety of the ST Universe. Sad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdcarlson wrote:
Ah, forgot about the films... I do consider them part of the TOS canon.

And, yes, they did use the D7s in later episodes, but visually, it would be nicer looking if they had some variety in the game pieces by using the warbird / war eagle image instead.

I'll still probably get a copy, just because it's ST. This was just my first rxn to seeing it.


The Romulan warbird is in the game along with the battlecruiser.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdcarlson wrote:
XanderF wrote:
pdcarlson wrote:
Yes, I am a purist, and inflexible and unreasonable wrt The ONLY Series. Stick me in the brig if you don't like it.


If picking at this from a 'series purist' angle - why be okay with the Enterprise getting attacked by Romulan, Klingon, and Tholian ships...at the same time!

Not just once, either, but literally every mission!

(Nevermind how many of those ships end up being destroyed by the Enterprise at the end of its 5-year mission...)


Add to that the Tholians only showed up in one episode throughout the entirety of the ST Universe. Sad.


They did show up in a number of Enterprise episodes, but I agree that they were sadly underused. I've always found the Tholians fascinating. They were so radically different from a lot of the Star Trek races and it seemed like they had their own inscrutable agenda going on.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdcarlson wrote:
2) Yes, the Romulans did use Klingon ships in the TOS, but that's only because the ship used in the 1st season episode, Balance of Power [one of the all-time best episodes of all ST]

[...]

Yes, I am a purist, and inflexible and unreasonable wrt The ONLY Series. Stick me in the brig if you don't like it.
If you're a purist, you should be using the proper title of the episode, Balance of Terror.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.