Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
The following are questions and feedback on Cherry Bomb game components and mechanics.

Power token set-up card: The setup instructions on the card tell us that the Villain Power tokens begin Bomb side up, but it fails to tell us where to place them.

Once you try playing, it becomes obvious that they should start on the Villain Character card. The rules (page 3 "Then place the tokens for both the Hero and the Villain on their corresponding Character cards as described by the Token Reference cards.") tell us but then again it does say "as described by the Token Reference cards". This is true for Tekton but not for Cherry Bomb.

It's also somewhat distracting having to refer to the rulebook when there are cards meant to help with the setup.

Power token setup card - Explosions: As mentioned by another poster, the section describing Explosions is very confusing since it starts by giving one example of when an explosion occurs. From that, you have to extract what's required for an explosion.

Could I also suggest an alternate layout for Cherry Bomb's Villain Power Token Reference card. I'm not sure there's a purpose for the "Mad Bomber" heading/box. Could I suggest the layout is more like that used for Tekton.

Use two black boxes, the first has the word "Explosions" in it, the second has the words "Draw Phase" in it (just like the Tekton card has "Shields" and "Focus").

Power token setup card - Explosions: "Reveal a random Villain Power token".

When I first had to do this, I was wondering what tokens should be included in this random selection. The situation I had was that each of the four bases had one face down token on it (a Blowback had been flipped) and I then flipped the other Blowback. This results in four explosions (I think).

How do I decide which face down Bomb token to reveal to determine the damage? (i) Do I use the currently unused fifth Bomb token on the Villain card four times? (ii) Do I gather all the tokens together, shuffle them and reveal one, and repeat this another three more times? Do I then shuffle and re-populate the four base cards with tokens?

Either way doesn't seem satisfactory. With (i) I might turn the "3" Power token and have to use that four times or (ii) I fiddle around shuffling tokens back and forth.

Villain Power tokens: The big problem I have with these Bomb tokens is that I forget to remove any during the next Draw Phase.

Could I suggest that you include either a generic reminder card or reminder token with the game. That way, the instructions for setting a Timer also include an instruction to place said token / card on top of the draw deck. Whenever I next try and draw cards from this deck, there will be a reminder that I need to return any tokens from active timers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Kouba
United States
Franklin
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments.

If a rule is consistent throughout, it will not be repeated on the card. Therefore the rules tell you where to place tokens. The setup card tells you what side they begin on etc. What step do you need to refer to the rulebook for repeatedly that it is causing a hassle?

Her reference card format will definitely change.

The remaining token is used. If there is no remaining token, you use the "3" anyway, correct? whistle

I am not sure that creating a reminder token on how to resolve other tokens is necessarily the right approach. I need to see if it is useful with other characters.

Thanks again!

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
rak5632 wrote:
If a rule is consistent throughout, it will not be repeated on the card. Therefore the rules tell you where to place tokens. The setup card tells you what side they begin on etc. What step do you need to refer to the rulebook for repeatedly that it is causing a hassle?

The setup card tells you what side they begin on but that's not what I was asking.

I was asking where the Villain Power tokens are placed.

The point is that the Tekton card does tell us where the Hero Power tokens are placed (i.e on the Hero Character card). The fact that the Cherry Bomb reference card doesn't tell us where the Villain Power tokens are placed suggests that something is different about them (compared to the Hero Power tokens).

Quote:
You begin the game with three
Shield power tokens and two
Tekton power tokens on your
Tekton Character card.

All I'm suggesting is the same information is included on all the reference cards. Either they all remind you to place the tokens on the Character card, or none of them remind you.

Quote:
Cherry’s Villain power
tokens have a bomb and a
blast side. All begin the
game on your Cherry Bomb
Character card, bomb side up.

Having the wording different suggests the rules / setup is different (when they're not).

rak5632 wrote:
The remaining token is used. If there is no remaining token, you use the "3" anyway, correct? whistle

That was the answer I least expected!

Can I suggest that you change the wording...
"reveal a random Villain Power token"
to something like...
"reveal an unused Villain Power token"
or
"reveal an unallocated Villain Power token"

rak5632 wrote:
I am not sure that creating a reminder token on how to resolve other tokens is necessarily the right approach. I need to see if it is useful with other characters.

This issue might not be a problem with you, you designed the game after all so you will no doubt be able to remember to remove timer tokens at the start of the Draw Phase.

Those of us who are new to the game or don't have a perfect memory might not be able to remember. I know in other games, a useful hint is to place something on top of a deck to remind you to do something before you draw any new cards from it.

Of course, if you don't have the spare card/token available then you won't be able to provide it. In which case, I would still suggest the hint is passed on in the rulebook (or on the Draw Card). A note at the bottom of the Draw Card could mention that the Draw Card is placed on top of the Draw deck whenever there is an active Bomb in play. I'm sure there are other instances where such a reminder would be useful so the wording doesn't even have to be specific for Bomb tokens.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Kouba
United States
Franklin
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. The problem is I can't fit it on there with the current font. It is a problem I need to talk over with graphics because I had to cut a lot of my original wording to fit the card. In the final product, I sense the font will change or there will be an additional reference card. If the latter is the case, the card might be used as a reminder instead of a token in remembering to draw tokens.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.