todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As some on my main design forum thread know, I've had a set of 24 cards I designed kicking around for awhile because I can't quite figure out the game they will make. It could be a solo game, a 2 player game, a trick taking game.

Here are the cards

and the following two 'boards' i had in mind (note the white rectangles show these boards could be cropped down to just cards that would go in a deck).

this board shows 6 locations on the Island each with a different color, those colors are evenly distributed on the cards.

This board shows the 4 main characters - Prospero, Miranda, Arial and Caliban, each with an identifying icon and each with space for two resources to be places of some sort.

If someone or someones come up with a good game out of this artwork I'll work with you to do the final design layouts from my InDesign file.

Card specs:

each of the 24 cards portrays 1 of 4 unique characters: Prospero, Ariel, Caliban and Miranda and an icon for them

each card has a unique number from 1-24 (could be used for initiative)
each card has two possible numbers (grey and black circles)
each card has a circle/number corresponding to 1 of 6 colors
and lastly each card has a tag with one of the books of Prospero from the film Prospero's Books

all with an objects and flotsam washed up on the beach type of graphic quality.

I have made the following available:

all 24 cards, numbers removed

JPG version - full bleed, Printerstudio size - 2.74" x 3.74"
PNG version - cropped to fit on a PnP style 3x3 sheet - 2.5" x 3.5"

DM me for the file location and have at it. Will be interested to see what other come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
came up with the following idea:

This is an attempt at a first draft of ideas for a Tempest game using your graphics. This is really rough and has tons of holes and missing pieces. It has not been play tested. I came up with these thoughts with all three graphics sitting on the table by me and just tried to piece together a game in my imagination. I still think it needs one more thing (aspect or mechanic) that doesn't exist yet also to fill it out.

I see the game as a battle for Prosperos books which were scattered on the island after the tempest. This is a two player game with one player playing Prospero and one player playing Sycorax. This battle would be played out using influence over the four characters Ariel, Miranda, Caliban and Ferdinand. The point of the game is to select two characters to influence each turn to collect books on the island. The player with the most books or maybe certain arrangement of books wins.

The graphics on the game board on Prospero would need to be moved to Ferdinand on the left side of the picture. Also replace all of Prosperos cards with Ferdinand's face.

The books would be moved off the 'beach' cards and turned into tokens. The books would be placed evenly and randomly in the 6 location on the island. Each 'beach' card would replace the book name with abilities.

On the portrait game board with the four main characters, a player would place a token to claim influence over that character for the turn. After each player picks two characters to influence, they would pick two cards of each character to play during the round.

Example Prospero claims Miranda, then Sycorax claims Ariel, then Prospero claims Ferdinand and finaly Sycorax claims Caliban. Then the Prospero player would pick up the Miranda deck (all the cards with Miranda's face on them) and select two to play during this round. Continue for the other three characters.

A separate new board with a sliding scale for abilities for all 4 characters would be created. Abilities build up on a scale (1 to 10). Whenever an ability is used on a character, that ability is lowered by the amount used up on that turn.

Sleep is prevalent in the play/story so when a character is defeated, he/she is put to sleep and not killed. A character who is put to sleep loses all their ability score in one skill. Refreshed after sleeping, this character is able to utilize three cards next round instead of just two for the player that selects it.

Each card has a circle with the color of location on it. This number is a bonus to skills for the character applied before a conflict happens if the character is going to that location. The character does not have to go to that location but no bonus skill points will be added. So a Caliban card is played with a red 6 on it. The player playing the card may immediately raise Caliban's skill by 6 points in any combination if Caliban goes to the fields which are red.

To get a book, one must use magic or strength to defeat the strength of the tempest. This means using either the magic ability or strength ability plus a dice roll (light grey box) to top the number/strength of the tempest currently. The number of magic or strength used in this conflict is deducted from that characters corresponding ability.

So Caliban is sent to the field to find a book. The card his player has
selected has a red 6 on it so the player ups Caliban's strength by 6, say the stength was at 2 and now is going to be 8. The tempest is at strength 9. The player chooses to commit 7 of Caliban's strength to this conflict. He rolls a dice matching the dice listed in the light grey box on the Caliban card he played (say a d6). He rolls a 4 plus the 7 strength the player committed is 11 which beats the strength 9 tempest. The player may claim a book from the field circle. Caliban's strength is now lowered to 1 after using 7 strength points in the conflict.

If two players commit to the same location, they duel for the right to look for a book in the location. Both players pick an ability to have a conflict with and two conflicts are fought, one using each of the chosen abilities. When in conflict with another character using the skill that the other player chose, the player must roll the dice indicated in the dark grey box which is lower rather than the light grey box, say a d4 instead of a d6. If a player wins both conflicts, the other players character is put to sleep and is done. The losing player loses all skill in both the conflict skills they fought in. The winning player may attempt a conflict with the tempest now to gain a book. If they both win a conflict, both characters are put to sleep and their skill goes to zero in the skill they lost in.

Abilities on cards:
-move to another location if put to sleep and try again
-must be first card played, character may help second card played attempt to get a book by using its skills
-bonuses for certain locations or against certain characters
-move sleep affect to other character in other card
-give another character skill pionts

Skills for each character:
-magic
-strength
-diplomacy
-charisma

Anyway I figured I'd give it a shot. The graphics are so cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tough little challenge.

1) Not knowing the story beforehand, so going by Wikipedia, etc. for background.

2) Asymmetrical: the 4 characters all would seem to have different goals in the game - a sorcerer, his daughter, a fairy, and a deformed son of a witch.

3) Having the cards and game board done already.

-------------------

My initial thought, and that's all it is at this point:

Solo game where player plays Prospero.

Goal of the game is to manage the "tempest" of his life on the island:
- staying close enough to Miranda to protect/influence her
- staying close enough to Arial to gain some benefits from him
- staying close enough to Caliban to keep him from not scheming against you (or harming Miranda?).

The location game board would be a single board (not 2 cards). Each character would have a cube/meeple on that board. Position with regard to other characters would impact (somehow) what each drawn card does.

Player/Prospero has deck of his 6 cards, maybe 2-3 in your hand at a time.

Rest of cards are shuffled together then drawn one at a time and resolved. Card action could be:
- interact with another character if in same location, or maybe adjacent location (maybe depending on range number on that card or the other character's latest card?). Interaction could be positive, neutral, or negative depending on which characters are interacting

- move towards location indicated on card, or

- find/obtain book (not sure how this would work, but number of books in character's position would be their strength or some other variable, ie: "If Arial possesses less than 2 books, then he will do an action harmful to Prospero or Miranda. If Arial possess more than 2 books, then he will do an action helpful to Prospero or Miranda (giving them a book or a power or strength cube, etc.)". If Arial possesses exactly 2 books, he gains another book (keeps this card for the book on the bottom of it. Maybe one number on each card is the "2" in the example above, so harmful or helpful actions could depend on if character has 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. books in their possession.

So, three AI characters moving around the location board getting stronger or weaker, or more friendly or more harmful, and the player/Prospero deciding when to play his cards to move closer to Miranda, or Arial or Caliban in order to gain books, protect Miranda, gain strength,...

Character board could track each character's relationship to Prospero:
Miranda would be either neutral or positive (0, 1, or 2 white cubes)
Arial would be either positive or negative (0, 1 white cube or 1 black cube)
Caliban would be either neutral or negative (0, 1, or 2 black cubes)

The number and color of these cubes would be multipliers for their interactions with Prospero (somehow).

Player wins and escapes the island if he and Miranda collect 12 (or more or less) of the books. Player loses if he or Miranda die/lose all their books/etc.

Well, it's a rough idea. Not sure if it makes sense to anyone else. Hopefully, Prospero/the player would feel tension and have to make decisions on when to interact and who to interact with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i like that idea Scott, not exactly Area Control but rather Area Approximation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've played a few more solitaire contest games, I feel like I can get back to this.

I have some ideas. Time to try them and see what works.

The colored circles are blanks because I plan to just pencil in some numbers for now, and change them as needed. The gameboard is my "low ink" version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I created "a" Tempest game. Not sure if it is a good game or even an unbroken game, but it is a game.

I'm going to play around with it for a couple days and see if it's worth putting more effort into.

Regardless if this ends up being a decent game or not, it was/is a great design exercise: Here are some cards, some game boards, and a story, make a game out of it, go.

Stay tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
can't wait to see what you have wrought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my idea, there is still some points to clarify and (of course) some playtest to do :

Tempest of Knowledge

2 to 5 players

Components

* 2 "tempest" decks, each one contains 24 cards of 6 colors (4 per color) numbered 1 to 24
* The "locations" board with the 6 locations (colors)
* 6 pawns (one per color)
* Something for the players to secretly choose a location (could be cards, tokens or a smaller version of the locations board)

Goal

The books of Prospero have been shuffled in the various libraries of the land. Players are hired by library managers to get them back. The first player to find his 4 books wins.

One of the deck will be used to represent the books in the libraries while the other deck is used for players objectives, goals.

It's a game of memory, deduction and some strategy and mind reading/double guessing.

Setup

Each player chooses one color (location) and places his pawn on that location. The game will use another color (for example for 2 players, 3 colors will be used. The other cards are removed from the game).

Shuffle one deck and deal it face down to the locations (that piles are the libraries).

From the other deck, each player receives 3 cards matching his color plus a random card from the remaining.

Each player looks at his library, chooses 2 cards and put the other 2 back in any order (he chooses). The two cards taken are the player's backpack.

The top card of each library is turned face up.

Flow of the game

Each round, player secretly choose one location they want to go to. Then all the chosen locations are revealed and players move to their pawn.

Players now consult the library (pile of card) in the location they are, without merging it with their backpack. They choose one card of the library and one card of the backpack to swap and put the library back in any order they want. Finally the top card of the libraries are turned face up.

A new round begins

What if two players choose the same location ?

The library is shuffled and dealt to the involved players (merged with the backpack this time).

The involved players now draft the cards (Choose one to keep, pass the remaining to the other player, repeat until all the cards have been kept).

Finally they keep only two cards for their backpack, the others go back to the library that is shuffled and put back with its top card face up.

End of game

When a player can claim he has reached his goal with the cards in his hand plus the cards in his current library matching his goal cards, he wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here's what I came up with. I give you "Prospero's Books":

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4GOwLLS7SEbRVNPem5q...

It's about a 10 minute solo game, playing through the deck once in 8 rounds of 3 cards.

Each round, the player, as Prospero, can control in what order the 3 cards are played. Each card moves a character, then that character might influence other characters, then that character might be able to collect a book.

The goal of the game is for Prospero (plus Miranda and Ariel) to collect at least 8 books.

It's not the world's greatest game, but it works. Feels like it needs something more, maybe 3 tempest cards that shuffle the discard piles or something.

The Island board with movement paths added by me:

Please feel free to look it over, try it, and make it better.

PS Todd, 2 of Ariel's cards (#4 and #20) have the same terrain image, a mountain. I think one of those should be something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cool! I'll print out the rules and read through them and I'll check those Ariel cards as well. Glad you found that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghislain - I'll print up your rules as well and read through them this week. Catching up on things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
cool! I'll print out the rules and read through them and I'll check those Ariel cards as well. Glad you found that.

It's puzzly. It probably needs more, maybe some storms or something, but, it's a start.

UPDATE:
A couple thoughts after a few more playtests:
1) Should probably start with 0 influence cubes for all characters, rather than starting with 1 each for Ariel, Prospero, and Caliban.

2) I originally had non-player characters (Ariel, Miranda, Caliban) have pre-defined movements (Caliban always moves counter-clockwise,...), but that was too mechanical. So, I changed to let Prospero decide which direction each character moves. That might be too easy - just move Caliban away all the time. So, maybe a mix would be better - have some cards with defined movement direction and some where the player can decide.

3) Still feels like it needs some tension, or bad things to happen. Not sure what those should be.

So, maybe change game from 24 to 36 cards (so 12 rounds instead of 8). Maybe add 8 more character cards with defined movement directions, or no colors or terrain images (so they can't be used to collect books) and 4 storm cards, or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I added 1 page of 8 new cards to the cards file on Google Drive. Here is a sample:

These 8 new cards do not have a book at the bottom, so in that way, they serve to get in the way on character discard piles. Also, on 6 of these cards, there is a clockwise or counter-clockwise arrow to force movement of this character in that direction, just to take a little control away from Prospero (the player).

I haven't played with these yet, but will try to tonight or tomorrow.

UPDATE:
Apologies for the rough look of the new cards, but they're prototypes, right?

With the 8 new cards, there are now 32 cards total, so 10 2/3 rounds of 3 cards. So, for now, I guess just play 11 rounds and the last round will have only 2 cards. Or, select which of the 6 bonus cards to play (maybe take out the new Ariel and Caliban cards without direction arrows on them) and play 10 rounds. Victory condition should probably go to "obtain 10 books" (from 8).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Small update:

I played with the 8 additional "bonus" cards. It worked fine but sort of watered down Prospero (the player) since now there are only 6 Prospero cards in a deck of 32 (instead of a deck of 24).

Next, I replaced 6 cards in the deck of 24 with 6 of the bonus cards. That worked, but since the bonus cards don't have books on them, it reduced the books available in the game from 24 to 18. Not good.

So, I think, mechanically, the addition of some bonus cards works, now it's just down to figuring out how many.

I think the game works. It needs some balancing, but it also still needs a "spark" - a couple storm cards or something. Or (just thought of this), maybe Prospero and Miranda need x number of books AND they both need to get to the beach by the end of the game in order to get off the island.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what others think of this game. Does it work? Is it fun? How could it be made better? etc.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempest of Knowledge
A small update on Tempest of Knowledge too :

I'm focusing on the 4p game as it seems to offer the most decisions. The problem with the actual rules is that when everybody managed to get two of his books in hand, they have to temporary store the others somewhere and they kept being stolen.

So I've change the number of cards in hands to 3 and removed the fifth library. You still use 5 color of books (20 books) for a 4p game so every player has 4 cards in hand (12 books) and every library has 2 books (8 books).

I also want to try adding the remaining books in the libraries (for a total of 24 books, 12 in players' hand and 12 in the libraries).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for a long week and falling behind. Will try catching up with all of you this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott - reading your rules now

i like the idea of influence very much .it is thematic as well.
i am missing how far a character's range extends and how the locations are adjacently organized
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"Finally the top card of the libraries are turned face up."

Ghislain I am unsure what happens to the face up card in subsequent rounds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
Scott - reading your rules now

i like the idea of influence very much .it is thematic as well.
i am missing how far a character's range extends and how the locations are adjacently organized

Thanks for looking at it Todd. The rules are very rough, written to make sense to me only I guess, no diagrams, etc. Sorry.

I drew lines on the map to show the movement (and influence) path:

So, the movement would be "Wanderer in Wyr"-like (meaning follow the paths between the circles).

So, for this card:

Caliban must move 2 locations along the path in a clockwise direction (only a few cards have the direction arrows, all others, the player can choose which direction). So, if he is starting at the Forest, he would move through Highlands and land on the Summit. Then, from the Summit, he would influence any characters in the Highlands, Summit, or Tower - since this card's "influence range" is 1 space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
"Finally the top card of the libraries are turned face up."

Ghislain I am unsure what happens to the face up card in subsequent rounds

This face up card is just there so players have a partial information of what books are in a library. Players can also try to guess where others will go if they see a card that could be of interest for another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.