Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has there been any news on expansion reprints? Are they eventually happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Symphonic5 wrote:

Nothing through the standard channels. They just announced they're reprinting the core game. I imagine the expansions, if reprinted, would be late next year at the earliest. I wouldn't bet money on them getting a reprint though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
Symphonic5 wrote:

Nothing through the standard channels. They just announced they're reprinting the core game. I imagine the expansions, if reprinted, would be late next year at the earliest. I wouldn't bet money on them getting a reprint though.

So I permanently missed out on Dragon King?! Not cool Poots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet there will be more, especially after the core game is reprinted (which means many of the new buyers will also want the expansions). Just be a bit patient and check out for news frequently..Adam Poots is a box of surprises...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
I wouldn't bet money on them getting a reprint though.

There is zero evidence to suggest a reprint will not happen. And here's a bunch of evidence for why it would:

- It's been, since it's announcement, the most popular expansion
- The molds for the minis have already been made, so printing more is relatively cheap, and gives him a higher return on his investment
- This game is Adam's dream, that he took YEARS to complete. A single print run doesn't make any sense
- Over years of following every update and comment he put out, he has not once mentioned that any of the expansions would be limited in quantity

Don't make suggestions that things won't be reprinted. As is clear from the OP'S response, you'll just get a bunch of people angry at Adam for hearsay, when he more than likely has plans to reprint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
Don't make suggestions that things won't be reprinted. As is clear from the OP'S response, you'll just get a bunch of people angry at Adam for hearsay, when he more than likely has plans to reprint

If he has plans to reprint, he could say so. Even if he does has unannounced plans to reprint, things can change.

Don't make guarantees that things will be reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
sirgalin wrote:
Symphonic5 wrote:

You can still get it on ebay. It's just expensive. *shrug*

The problem with reprints for an artist like Poots is that you're asking him to take time away from doing new things to do something he's already done. The last crazy update listed like a dozen project ideas including a video game that they want to spend time, money, and effort on. But hey, I don't work for KD nor do I know their secrets. I think, if you want it, you should bite the bullet and buy it second hand at whatever the going rate is. Sitting around for a year or more to save a hundred bucks doesn't seem worth it if you'll get fun out of it in the mean time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
Epidemius wrote:
sirgalin wrote:
Symphonic5 wrote:

The problem with reprints for an artist like Poots is that you're asking him to take time away from doing new things to do something he's already done. The last crazy update listed like a dozen project ideas including a video game that they want to spend time, money, and effort on. But hey, I don't work for KD nor do I know their secrets. I think, if you want it, you should bite the bullet and buy it second hand at whatever the going rate is. Sitting around for a year or more to save a hundred bucks doesn't seem worth it if you'll get fun out of it in the mean time.

This... I agree with completely.

Spend time on reprints? Spend time on Heroes... Or Storm Knight, or Nightmare Ram... I know where I'd place my bets.

I suspect gen con will unveil a new expansion (under the radar, soft release kinda thing). Unfounded speculation, that. At least a teaser, since the new plastic kits may be telling about what is in the pipeline and close to the full treatment.

While I doubt 1 print run will suffice, the fact that this game even resides on my shelf, in my house, with all of the expansions... Is really bananas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
brrrmanza wrote:
sirgalin wrote:
Epidemius wrote:
sirgalin wrote:
Symphonic5 wrote:

This... I agree with completely.

Spend time on reprints? Spend time on Heroes... Or Storm Knight, or Nightmare Ram... I know where I'd place my bets.

I suspect gen con will unveil a new expansion (under the radar, soft release kinda thing). Unfounded speculation, that. At least a teaser, since the new plastic kits may be telling about what is in the pipeline and close to the full treatment.

While I doubt 1 print run will suffice, the fact that this game even resides on my shelf, in my house, with all of the expansions... Is really bananas.

...What?

"Spend time on reprints?"

What time? The day or so it will take to contact the manufactories and tell them "I need 1000 runs of model #3, ship them through previously agreed upon handlers to the pre-registered warehouses. Here's the money."

Or do you not understand how manufacturing and R&D works? Any time investment made into one of these already released expansions was done years ago. All he needs to do is tell a company to run the print again. The work is already done. The only time investment Poots will make is inventory inspection, which he does already for products he still has shipping out.

Look, bottom line: Poots has a product that is making him money. He will reprint and sell the product until it no longer makes him money. That is how a market works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:
...What?

What time? The day or so it will take to contact the manufactories and tell them "I need 1000 runs of model #3, ship them through previously agreed upon handlers to the pre-registered warehouses. Here's the money."

Or do you not understand how manufacturing and R&D works? Any time investment made into one of these already released expansions was done years ago. All he needs to do is tell a company to run the print again. The work is already done. The only time investment Poots will make is inventory inspection, which he does already for products he still has shipping out.

Look, bottom line: Poots has a product that is making him money. He will reprint and sell the product until it no longer makes him money. That is how a market works.

Your thoughts on how all of this works are grossly naive and/or misinformed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't willing to spend the going rate of $400 or so for it, but I found one on eBay for $250 and bit the bullet. Crazy maybe, but this has been my dream game, and I would always regret not having the other campaign for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGILOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Symphonic5 wrote:
I wasn't willing to spend the going rate of $400 or so for it, but I found one on eBay for $250 and bit the bullet. Crazy maybe, but this has been my dream game, and I would always regret not having the other campaign for it.

Excellent! I'm in the middle of a DK campaign right now. I'm really enjoying the changes from the base game. Congrats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not saying that you're wrong, but if that's all it takes to get a reprint, why hasn't he done it? It's obvious that there's a demand for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Elyklord wrote:

If he has plans to reprint, he could say so. Even if he does has unannounced plans to reprint, things can change.

Don't make guarantees that things will be reprinted.

The marketing for the game has been very much 'limited edition' and buy whilst you can. If he permanently stocked his store it wouldn't have the same level of urgency for buying. The way Kingdom death has worked so far has been incredibly successful for a relatively new business. Don't expect them to change the way they do things any time soon. It drives us to get on forums and drive up the excitement. Turns out he is superb at marketing and making great games.

I totally support the way they work right now, it is ensuring the longevity of the game and I don't want that to change. We all know a reprint for these are very likely, they're still re-releasing resin models from years ago and they're much harder to remold and cast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:

I do think Dragon King will eventually be reprinted, but KD:M has never been a good example of "how a market works."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad. I'd much rather give the money to Poots than to a reseller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:

Or do you not understand how manufacturing and R&D works? Any time investment made into one of these already released expansions was done years ago. All he needs to do is tell a company to run the print again. The work is already done. The only time investment Poots will make is inventory inspection, which he does already for products he still has shipping out

No, you've basically got it. Other factors include wait time if the company's super-busy and what import etc. rates are (might make more sense to wait until a larger restock is necessary and I guess if they have the funds at the moment) and if there's corrections he wants to make, but yeah, having done a fair amount of work in printing, reprints are basically no work other than coordinating/figuring out what numbers make sense/choosing to fine-tune, which should be proportionally nothing compared to the creative effort involved in making it to begin with.

Absolutely no idea what Grant thinks will make it some crazy barrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the crazy barrier could be Poots not ordering them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Absolutely no idea what Grant thinks will make it some crazy barrier.

Me, I'd point to

IASeldon wrote:
Here's the money.

for a start.

Given infinite capital, I too am very confident that he would order reprints. Let us know when that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I read that he just broke even. So he may not have the money for reprints after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and the capital he does have, he's funneling into new projects. Plus, as much as these guys make it out to be a phone call and a wire transfer, there's more babysitting to be done than that (though admittedly less than the first print run). There's still quality and logistics (distribution, importing, etc.) to manage, and if he's printing something, that's just one more thing to balance with everything else he's doing. You have to remember, the guy tries to keep it to a dozen or so things in his store at a time because of what it does to his fulfillment.

And even that little bit of time spent is time spent NOT working on Lantern Festival or any of the plethora of other projects he would rather be working on. Reprinting the base game seemed like a no-brainer, but even that wasn't an easy decision for him. He's happy just having brought it to market and he wants to get onto other things, not just reprint the same thing ad nauseum for the rest of his life.

Will there be a reprint? Of that particular expansion, I think it's a good bet. But it's far from definite at this point and will in all likelihood be a long ways off if it does happen. If you do have a strong interest in it, I'm not sure I'd counsel you to wait for a reprint that still has a chance of never coming just to save a couple of bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear in mind too that this is the publisher that pulls and swaps stuff in and out of their store to try to make sure that not too many things are available at once to buy. It makes it easier on them logistically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
He doesn't want too many different items in the store at once so we won't get to the point again of all being available at once for any decent amount of time. But I think he did mention a rotation of selling for a month or so at a time of expansions, things seem to be changing rapidly at KD so who knows what the plans are.

On that note, is there even 100% confirmation that the expansion has actually sold out completely? They kept mysteriously finding extra copies of the core game for a long time....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
strewart wrote:
But I think he did mention a rotation of selling for a month or so at a time of expansions, things seem to be changing rapidly at KD so who knows what the plans are.

Yeah, that idea seems to have been scrapped in favor of selling all the expansions at once. But it's not 100% clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.