Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

I had to do pause with my solo games (see "My first solo - 53 BC scenario (playbook continuation)" & "My second solo - 54 BC") as I managed to finally gather my fellow board game colleagues and start first, training game of FS.

We decided to play 54 BC scenario:

You would ask "why? it is the longest scenario!". The reason is that in this scenario the whole Gaul is rather empty, with few pieces here and there and Romans in Britain. There is no immediate need to fight and confront each other (well, Caesar needs to find good winter spot, but this is not so difficult), time to learn special abilities, time to develop your faction. We thought it would be good for learning purposes and it was.

Although we played 1.5 years (we finished in the middle of second year) a lot had happened, and emotions were reach high levels!

So, what happened? As Always, I will depict it with map where I marked major moves and actions during the play:

(1) First things first. Caesar and his legions moves from Britain to Atrebates and after some time, clears the region from Belgae elements, introducing their own allies

(2) Belage player at the beginning mainly plays Enlist, also using it in later stages (see where finally Germans traveled!) He tries to interfere into the struggle between Aedui and Arvernin over Mandubii region, but are forced to move to Treveri region finally.

(3) Romans manages to survive first Winter - to surprise of everybody, winter card comes as 6th, so the earliest possible. This is only possible due to fact that Aedui grants Supply Line.

Later, Romans again using the Supply Line from Aedui and Control , perform raid through Bituriges and Carnutes, building forts there. That was really surprising move, but effective one.

Finally, Romans landed in most contested territory - Mandubii. That region was controlled during the game by each fraction and Germans too!

(4) After initial difficulties (almost only Limited Commands, no Leader) Arverni migrated into western Gaul, occupying vast parts of Celtica. Mentioned above raid of Rome was aimed at stopping them - which partially worked.

(5) Finally, Belgae seeing that Rome is more occupied with Arveni now, attacked at Sequani - my Aedui forces were decimate (Belgae had Germanci Horses!), but Citadel withstood atack.

(6) My Aedui had hard life - being beaten by more powerful neighbors, managed to three times trade with great income with Rome, and had to start escape east to get some territories. Finally, I managed to control Sequani, Treveri and Ubii, but Belgae started to be a threat.

As a last step, Arveni devastated Mandubii (with Roman forces inside) and occupied Provincia.

Things were getting interesting but it was already too late. We finished at this moment - however, everybody was very eager to play further ("one more turn" syndrome). A lot of things might happen in next years but we will check it in different scenario.

Very nice and interesting game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, well presented campaign readout, thank you!

I see good Roman use of Forts, Roman Allies, and Dispersal.

And about Aedui-allied Vesontio: yes, good thing to have a Citadel to protect you with Germanic Horse about!

Did you keep the game set up to continue, or will your group have to start over next time you play this game? (I suppose either way you could mostly recreate the situation from your photo.)

Best, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Volko,

thanks for warm words! This was only test game - and we did some errors (realizing later). The general idea was to learn the rules and "feel the game". My hidden agenda was to present COIN system to my 3 colleagues and try to "catch them" with that system - fact that it was thematically tide to ancient times not to modern warfare being significant advantage in that endeavor. And guess what? Next day all of them wanted to play as soon as possible so I think I succeeded

Plan is to meet at the beginning of August and play one scenario from the start, to its end. I am now considering 53 BC and 52 BC scenarios to be played. Advantage of first is that all 4 players are still fully in game but it is longer. The other is much shorter, but Belgae is significantly handicapped. We shall see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, that is success!

52BC also works with 4: The Romans and Aedui will have their hands full with Vercingetorix, so the Belgae have room to bounce back into shape.

I'll stay tuned to hear how it goes!

Enjoy, Volko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus Lee
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first (4 player) learning game, we play the 52BC scenario. With no auto-victory, Balgae won the game with 0 point at the Victory phase of the 3rd winter, with Arverni second with -1 point, Aedui third with -2 points (Romans got -7 points)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anguslee wrote:
In our first (4 player) learning game, we play the 52BC scenario. With no auto-victory, Balgae won the game with 0 point at the Victory phase of the 3rd winter, with Arverni second with -1 point, Aedui third with -2 points (Romans got -7 points)

Wow, sounds like Belgae really bounced back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.