$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

DOOM: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Not sure about the "art work"... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vegard Eliassen Stillerud
Norway
Drammen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At first glance, this looked like a must own for me, after having missed Descent 2nd ed (too late to start now) and Imperial Assault. But then I saw the art work... Or is it even art work? Or just in game photos from the video game? Some of it looks that way? Anyhow, it looks pretty ugly to me.

I know, I know, it is based on the video game and it is supposed to give that same feeling... Still, it ISN'T the video game. It is a board game, and for a game that looks stellar in every other way, the lack of proper art work is bothersome to me (having a bit of OCD).

This is one of the things I truly hated about World of "Warcraft the Board Game". Not that it is really comparable, as DOOM at least got a wee bit nicer graphics...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't quite understand the "too late to start now" sentiment. They didn't stop publishing that stuff. It's still quite readily available.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vegard Eliassen Stillerud
Norway
Drammen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
They didn't stop publishing that stuff.


Exactly. They didn't top. Ever. And it seems they won't stop either. Starting to collect now, and trying to keep up with everything, would do evil things to me poor wallet
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sortrose wrote:
The Warp wrote:
They didn't stop publishing that stuff.


Exactly. They didn't top. Ever. And it seems they won't stop either. Starting to collect now, and trying to keep up with everything, would do evil things to me poor wallet


Completely understand. It's even hard to start with Imperial Assault now.

I'm actually hoping this is the kind of game that has some sort of Arcade or Deathmatch mode for more replayability. I'd really like to just buy this game and have it available to play whenever.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Chow
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
veector wrote:

Completely understand. It's even hard to start with Imperial Assault now.


Nope. Just buy the base game and enjoy that.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sortrose wrote:
Or is it even art work? Or just in game photos from the video game?


what would you call the visuals in a video game, if not some sort of art? someone designed it. it is not simply a photo from the real world. I would call that art.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vegard Eliassen Stillerud
Norway
Drammen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
Sortrose wrote:
Or is it even art work? Or just in game photos from the video game?


what would you call the visuals in a video game, if not some sort of art? someone designed it. it is not simply a photo from the real world. I would call that art.


Yes, well, that might have been a clumsy formulation from me. Of course it is "art". Even a picture from the real world would be art.

My point is, however, that a still from a video game doesn't look good on a physical card (it looks a bit lazy). Stills from video games rarely look good at all IMO, even though the graphics may look amazing when it is in motion and on the tv. And while I love playing video games from time to time, I prefer my board game art work to be drawn specifically for the board game. It just makes it look more coherent.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wheels
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The original's artwork was screenshots from Doom 3, so perhaps they're keeping that going? I don't love it either, but there is 'precedence'.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
while I am sure that they put most of their money and resources into their Star Wars license, which has some of the best Star Wars Art Work I have ever seen, I guess Doom is simply not profitable enough to have their Artists and Designers come up with something new. I am certain that is the sad, but true reason for using simple stills from the Video Game.

If you were to ask FFG, they would probably argue that the Game is supposed to convey the exact same feeling you get from playing the Video Game and stills from that game are the best means to do that.

I would always prefer drawn/painted Art Work, like you in any case. But 1) the rest of the game looks amazing, like all FFG products and 2) I do not exactly hate or dislike the stills either. I am sure most of them are just fine or even good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
If you don't like the cards, just rip and tear... until it is done.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
while I am sure that they put most of their money and resources into their Star Wars license, which has some of the best Star Wars Art Work I have ever seen, I guess Doom is simply not profitable enough to have their Artists and Designers come up with something new. I am certain that is the sad, but true reason for using simple stills from the Video Game.

If you were to ask FFG, they would probably argue that the Game is supposed to convey the exact same feeling you get from playing the Video Game and stills from that game are the best means to do that.

I would always prefer drawn/painted Art Work, like you in any case. But 1) the rest of the game looks amazing, like all FFG products and 2) I do not exactly hate or dislike the stills either. I am sure most of them are just fine or even good.


I think they started doing artwork for all the Star Wars stuff because anything not pictured in the films would look odd as a drawing next to photo stills. And they share the art between tons of games, which makes it much cheaper.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vegard Eliassen Stillerud
Norway
Drammen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
like all FFG products


Yeeeah, about that...

There are very few FFG products that even remotely peaks my interest. This is one of the few
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
If you don't like the cards, just rip and tear... until it is done.


I see what you did there...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't like the art? You should see this one game I have then. It is called: Fast & Furious.

They use actually character shots from the movies on the cards. It looks incredibly tacky....to a level of almost embarrassing.

But, the game is one of my favorites....since my mind is more focused on the game rather than the horrible cards' appearances.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Velkov
Bulgaria
Doganovo
Elin Pelin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
having still from the game - although I am pretty sure they put a lot of work in capturing and touching up those stills - is a way to connect the two games in more than name, hoping to bring some fresh players over.

Also it is unfair to compare this to star wars:
Star wars is a big universe with literally hundred of different products. I am sure that they are actually saving money by making the art themselves.
On the other hand DooM is just one game (or four) and the board game needs to connect to that particular game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shrek The Big
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Such kind of art I would definitely bought with great pleasure!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.