Subject: partial withdrawal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably I'm missing something but I cannot find in the rules if a partial withdrawal is allowed:

a player want withdraw only a portion of the units from a given hex to reinforce another battle while the rest stays at its place continuing the combat.

is it possible?
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you saying that you desire to withdraw units involved in Combat A to reinforce a separate adjacent Combat B?

Or are you saying that you desire only part of the strength in an adjacent hex to reinforce an adjacent combat?

If its the first case two separate combats, though I can find no rules to the contrary, it would seem to be contrary to the ideas of W&P.

In the second case, I'd say that a partial reinforcement was possible as it is not indicated one way or the other in the rules. It would seem obvious that it would be desirous that the partially reinforcing hex have two leaders so one can stay with the units remaining behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main problem you have is what version of the rules are you using?

In our (PDF Link!) 3rd Ed rules, a partial
withdrawal would be allowed, but not into a friendly
hex which is already in battle ... Ref: Section Q.

The various verions have been tweaked from various sources, so best
to see which ones you like to play which tick all these boxes ... Walts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed to specify I'm playing with the 4th edition of rules that I think should not change form the 3rd on this topic.

the situation looks like this:

1) Stack A1 fights vs Stack B1
and, two hexes away,
Stack A2 fights vs Stack B2

2) After the first round of combat Player A decides that fight A1 needs reinforcements but there are no other units nearby, so
he must disengage a few strenght points from stack A2 and use them to reinforce stack A1;

3)Then in round 2 Player A withdraws voluntarily a few factors in a hex adjacent to stack A1 from stack A2, leaving a "pinning force" to continue the fight vs Stack B2;

4) in round 3 Player A tries to reinforce stack A1 per rule N7a with the strenght points coming from stack A2 since they now are adjacent to stack A1.

this way I make a "partial withdrawal" and I have reinforced a combat taking some strength points from another combat that continues with the remaining factors. Note I'm not using rule Qe (not appliacable here since the units from stack A2 in this case cannot retreat in a hex containing friendly strenght points because they are at two hexes of distance).

so the question is:
is it possible a partial withdraw like the one described in point 3?
or, in other words, a withdrawal not vacating completely a hex?

I think yes because this not prohibited by the rules and (IMO) fully in the spirit of the simulation.

note: post partially edited for clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did make some changes to base rules from 3rd edition to 4th. Minor clarifications. However, I don't recall this being changed.

Let me know if you'd like me to look in to this question.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes please.
I can create a diagram from VASSAL if this is may help to clarify the question.

however I hope my post above is clear enough.

also I would know something about the other two questions I posted in this section

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1612946/end-battle

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1612933/combat-sequence-tab...

thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.