Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thompson
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just tried EH + FL for my first game, solo. Played with four characters as some had recommended; probably should have played one or two. Very steep learning curve. I spent three hours checking the rulebook on each turn. Couldn't see the forest for the trees. Felt tedious. Any suggestions? Is there a good video walkthrough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1 - when learning, don't use 4 characters. You'll probably lose, but you'll be able to narrow your focus.

Step 2 - Download Universal Head's game aid from the file section. That will cut down on a vast majority of your rules referencing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Step 1 - when learning, don't use 4 characters. You'll probably lose, but you'll be able to narrow your focus.

Step 2 - Download Universal Head's game aid from the file section. That will cut down on a vast majority of your rules referencing.

Agreed. Use 2 characters on your first play through as it will simplify the game for you. Also, the game is actually fairly simple and a good player aid will help you see the big picture and understand your actions in context.

Keep at it, it's worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also watch a video playthrough.
Try one character as the turns will go much faster.
Don't bother trying to win the first few games.

...it really is an easy game to play (this isn't Mage Knight).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started out playing with one character and quickly found how hard it is to win, but it did help learn the rules. Once I had a good grasp of that, I only play with two characters when playing solo. Just my preference. Four characters seem to be too much to control, especially late in the game with all the items, conditions, and reckonings going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't add expansion material until you're comfortable with the base rules or are used to rules heavy games. YouTube has gameplay review and rules videos for this game that could help too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try watching some youtube play-throughs - they have some very good ones out there that could help you wrap your head around it.
Some good ones:

Catweazle https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-FZRH6EBIWhhHw5v645Kg
Paul Darcy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHikR2eLF_1Puk-h5isLjTQ/sea...
Vetruvian Gamer https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQmtZBJmAvInYvnDlftFqwQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrick Strauss
South Africa
flag msg tools
Here you go.

Hands down one of if not THE best video to get you started with Eldritch Horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL_WqY3L4SA

18min video. Clear and concise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thompson
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found that. Very well-done and helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CatWeasle's play through videos was my choice to learn how to set-up and play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Fandango
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi there,

I was like you on my first game of Eldritch Horror ( I was new to boardgaming at the time but liked the look of it so went for it)

My first game every single turn I was consulting rules and it took forever! I came on here and did as people have mentioned, downloaded a quick guide, watched a couple of playthroughs part way on Youtube and then got stuck back into another game. It all fell into place once you have the few basics down and it very soon became much quicker. You can always play and make a note of things you are not sure of ( in regards to some card specifics) and check later to see how it should be done so as not to spoil your first few experiences.

Most of the cards are self explanatory and although there seem to be lots of FAQ's I think you can play through it just fine with the basics of getting the stages right.

Stick with it!

Edit - I would suggest no more than 2 investigators for your first few goes as I kept losing track of whose turn it was !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thompson
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips. I'd tried again today and it was a lot better. Would probably be more fun non-solo, but this will be too fiddly for my partner. I didn't really feel then tension like I did with Pandemic Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Y
msg tools
For each character, I try to imagine what I want to accomplish in the short term.

1. Buff up: acquire items, spells, stat improvements, clues, and focuses. Take actions and go to spaces that will help me get those things.
2. Take care of Blue Rumor cards. This may require killing monsters and collecting clues. Don't wait too long or you'll lose the game.
3. Work on a side adventure. These are in the expansions, but they often help you retreat doom and advance the current adventure.
4. Complete the Mystery. Be careful not to attempt these prematurely, or you might be wasting actions and encounters you could have used to buff up. Don't wait too long or you'll lose the game.

A lot of the tension comes from balancing these decisions, barely scraping by, and utilizing those precious rerolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
senorcoo wrote:

DO THIS!

Till the last game, I didn't know that you could take loan for 2 sucess, so it was almost impossible to get those 4 cost items.
I started to read Universal's yesterday, and saw that I made game xy times harder because I didn't read rules properly from rulebook.
For example I didn't know that you can discard asset from board if you failed to acquire it.
When fighting monster, lets say tha monster stats were str -1/2 and has damage 4. So we played it that you had to have at least 5 sucess to deal 1 dmg to monster,lol, because he had dmg 4, and oyu had to overcome it
So this made bunch of monsters tremendously hard to defeat.
Oh well, no wonder we lost 7 games in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.